New Pelikan M800 Low Flow

pendood

Hi all,

I recently received this pen as a gift and only used it a few times. I've noticed it requires too much pressure to write. I've done some research and have looked at the tines with my loupe and they don't appear to be spread at the tip of the nib. it has a medium nib. What's my best course of action to resolve this issue?

Thanks,

Nick

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mulrich

• pendood

• 1nkulus

• DrDebG

Top Posters In This Topic

I would suggest you look at YouTube and look at videos from thepenhabit and sbrebrown. They both have a great video on how to increase the ink flow easily. It requires you to put you finger on the breater hole so that about 1cm on the nib is visible from the tip and press the nib gently in the nail.of your thumb gently so spread the tines a little. Do it very gently and test and keep repeating until the flow becomes to your liking. Highly recommend the videos to give you an idea.

Or it could be the ink. And/or the paper. So before adjusting the nib I would suggest trying different paper/ink.

Some papers are more absorbent than others, and some inks are drier that others. Yesterday, for instance, I was having little luck trying to write with a dry ink on coated absorbent paper. Did just fine with Tomoe River paper however.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I had a similar problem with my Pelikan M120. I got a lot of hard starts and skipping using Pelikan Edelstein ink. I checked the nib under a loupe and didn't see any baby's bottom or other issues. Then I switched over to the wetter Pilot Iroshizuku inks and the pen performed better.

First try switching over to a wetter ink. Pilot Iroshizuku inks are pretty well. I hear that Waterman inks are very wet.

If that doesn't work, have someone at a local pen club or pen shop look at the pen.

Hope that helps!

Currently inked:

- Pilot Custom 743 <M> with Pilot Black

- Pelikan M120 Iconic Blue <B> with Pilot Blue

- Lamy Studio All Black <M> with Pilot Blue-Black

YouTube fountain pen reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2qU4nlAfdZpQrSakktBMGg/videos

I would suggest resisting the urge to mess with the nib and just do a really thorough cleaning, which is easy enough with Pelikans, just take in and expel water through it a few times, then dry thoroughly. My 3 pPelikans and particularly my 18k m600 seem to behave very differently according to the ink.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

I would suggest resisting the urge to mess with the nib and just do a really thorough cleaning, which is easy enough with Pelikans, just take in and expel water through it a few times, then dry thoroughly. My 3 pPelikans and particularly my 18k m600 seem to behave very differently according to the ink.

I second this. If the pen was new it's likely that some of the manufacturing oils are interfering with the writing experience. And if the pen was used, it's likely that old dried ink is interfering with the writing experience.

To clean out a pen, I suggest starting by adding a single drop of plain dish detergent to a cup of water and filling and emptying the pen a few times with this water. I'd then fill the pen with this solution and let it sit overnight. After this I'd fill and empty the pen with plain water until all the soapy water is cleaned out. After this, let the pen dry before filling with ink.

If you're still experiencing problems you could look at fiddling with the nib. Does the person who gave you the pen know much about fountain pens (I'm guessing you're to fountain pens)? If so, I'd talk to them before doing anything with the nib. Hopefully they have experience tweaking a nib and can help you make these adjustments.

Hopefully you can get the pen writing how you like without too much fuss. Pelikan's are great pens and should be a joy to use.

Agree with above.

Don't mess with the nib yet.

Do a good clean of the pen - see above and also go to https://www.gouletpens.com/pages/fountain-pen-101 - good way to learn

Try a different ink (i.e. Waterman Serenity Blue, Inspired Blue) and paper (Clairfontaine, Rhodia, Tomoe River - even Black n Red notebooks sold at Staples).

If you mess with the nib, you could invalidate your warranty (if it came with one) and really mess the nib up. There are some good things on youtube and many not so good things.

Sometimes it is best to send the pen to a nibmeister for adjustment.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Can you show a few close-up pictures of the incriminated pen?

You will get more focused and helpful answers then.

I tried one cleaning and it seems a little better but not by much. I'm using j. herbin black and will try some iroshizoku next. It's dry writing especially on horizontal lines and requires too much pressure for my liking. Under a loupe I see the tines are apart from the breathing hole and most of the way to the tip but the gap gets tight near the tip a bit and I think that might be a problem. This was purchased new overseas and is back with me in Australia now. Thanks for the tips, I will keep trying.

In my experience, modern Pelikans write poorly out of the box. Misaligned and too-tight tines are common; the nibs typically require tuning. I wouldn't expect a cleaning to help.

Misaligned and too-tight tines are common; the nibs typically require tuning. I wouldn't expect a cleaning to help.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

In my experience, modern Pelikans write poorly out of the box. Misaligned and too-tight tines are common; the nibs typically require tuning. I wouldn't expect a cleaning to help.

That has not been my experience, fortunately. While not all perfect, the greater majority have been fine out of the box. While a cleaning may not help, it cannot hurt and, if successful, is a lot easier than mucking around with the nib. If a cleaning fails to remedy the situation, I would next turn to a brass shim for help.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

That has not been my experience, fortunately. While not all perfect, the greater majority have been fine out of the box. While a cleaning may not help, it cannot hurt and, if successful, is a lot easier than mucking around with the nib. If a cleaning fails to remedy the situation, I would next turn to a brass shim for help.

+1