Corroded Cartridge Carrier In 147

JDiver

Pen was neglected for a while and had a leaky Montblanc cartridge. Did some massive damage to the finish of the carriage.

First of all, is Montblanc ink is this corrosive?

Is this something Montblanc can service?

Is it possible to get a replacement carriage?

Pic of cartridge holder:

Overview

Macro 1

Macro 2

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JDiver

• meiers

• geodesigner

• omarcenaro

Are you sure that original Montblanc ink was within the cartridge?

Anyway, get the pen to the Montblanc Service and they will replace each damaged part for the "flat rate 1" - no matter how many parts they have to replace, it will not cost you more than the flat rate.

Axel

Montblanc collector since 1968. Former owner of the Montblanc Boutique Bremen, retired 2007 and sold it.
Collecting Montblanc safeties, eyedroppers, lever fillers, button fillers, compressors - all from 1908 - 1929,
Montblanc ephemera and paraphernalia from 1908 to 1929,
Montblanc Meisterstück from 1924 up to the 50s,
Montblanc special and limited editions from 1991 to 2006

Are you sure that original Montblanc ink was within the cartridge?

Positive. Had no other inks at the time and just used what came with the pen.

Level 1 service is the way to go, if it bothers you.

If the damage is purely cosmetic and does not affect the functionality of the pen, I would leave it as is.

How about trying a polishing cloth on the corroded surface?

Edited by meiers

Why bother fixing it if the damage is cosmetic and out of sight?

Wait until some other issue comes up....then send the pen back for service. In the meantime, just use it and enjoy it.

Dang it eat the gold plating. Yeah that would drive me nuts. If you have a dremel tool you could buff it out but it would be two tone.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

On Ebay I just saw two listings for Montblanc 147 part tray. Both are $99 or best offer but one comes with the tray and pen body.

None of us knows how long he shall live or when his time will come. But soon all that will be left of our brief lives is the pride our children feel when they speak our names.

Why bother fixing it if the damage is cosmetic and out of sight?

The plating is continuing to flake off. I would rather not have super fine gold dust all up in the barrel and possible gunk up the feed when I clean the pen.

How about trying a polishing cloth on the corroded surface?

There are a lot of nooks and crannies in the carriage that I do not think I could properly buff. I was actually looking for a chemical solution to strip the gold.

The plating is continuing to flake off. I would rather not have super fine gold dust all up in the barrel and possible gunk up the feed when I clean the pen.

There are a lot of nooks and crannies in the carriage that I do not think I could properly buff. I was actually looking for a chemical solution to strip the gold.

Good idea. Does such a solution exist?

Here's a long shot. If it was MB ink in a MB pen, it shouldn't really have happened, so it might be worth contacting MB and explaining the situation to them? Show them your photographs. I have no idea how they will respond, or if they will respond at all ... who knows? They may even offer to replace it? (Just guessing, here.)

I agree on not sending it in for a service, for a (hidden) cosmetic issue, as long as the pen is working.

Good luck.

This part does corrode. All used 147s I've seen had some degree of corrosion to the tip of the cartridge carrier, so I would consider it a design flaw. Also the knob/cone tends to crack altogether in early pens, I've seen at least three cracked in the exact same way.

If you can send it to MB and get an overhaul for the price of a flat fee, I'd absolutely do that, because second-hand 147 parts are scarce and you may even get a corroded one off eBay.

Cheers!

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall

Also the knob/cone tends to crack altogether in early pens, I've seen at least three cracked in the exact same way.

You talking about the blind cap? How have you seen it crack? Just curious if there was a way to prevent it with different handling.

You talking about the blind cap? How have you seen it crack? Just curious if there was a way to prevent it with different handling.

Exactly. All I've seen cracked looked the same: a longitudinal split along the middle. No idea how they cracked, they came to me that way...

3776 + 4810.

I'm maintaining a comprehensive list of Iron-Gall inks. Contributions most welcome! bit.ly/irongall