The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc Lavender Purple Vs J. Herbin Poussière De Lune

ink montblanc pilot herbin custom 823 purple

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ByronZ

ByronZ

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2019 - 00:21

I love dark purple ink. Currently I have my Pilot Custom 823 inked up with Poussière de Lune but I almost run out. Im looking into Montblanc Lavender Purple now. I wonder whats the difference?

Herbin Poussière de Lune is great for me. Since its dark enough but still have some shade. It is quite nice to take academic notes with. I have the following questions:
1. Is Montblanc darker or lighter?
2. How does the inkflow compare?
3. Saturation?
4. Any side by side comparison?
5. Anything else you would like to elaborate on.

Thank you all!

Sponsored Content

#2 Bobje

Bobje

We're all bozos on this bus.

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2019 - 00:43

Wow! As it happens, there is a discussion of dark purple ink taking place now in the ink sub-forums. Here is the link. There may be some candidates you have not yet considered.

http://www.fountainp...ack-inks/page-1

Reviews and articles on Fountain Pen Network

CHINA, JAPAN, AND INDIA

Hua Hong Blue Belter Penbbs 456 | Stationery | ASA Nauka in Dartmoor and Ebonite | ASA Azaadi | ASA Bheeshma | ASA Halwa | Ranga Model 8 and 8b | Ranga Emperor

ITALY AND THE UK

FILCAO Roxi | FILCAO Atlantica | Italix Churchman's Prescriptor

USA, INK, AND EXPERIMENTS

Bexley Prometheus | Route 54 Motor Oil | Black Swan in Icelandic Minty Bathwater | Robert Oster Aqua | Diamine Emerald Green | Mr. Pen Radiant Blue | Three Oysters Giwa | Flex Nib Modifications | Rollstoppers

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 10:21

Herbin E10 vs the new shocking high E19 price of MB.....is something to think of.

I was willing to pay the jump form E15 to E 16, but am not willing to pay the jump to 19....from 15 to 19 came with in 4 years.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#4 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 May 2019 - 19:23

1. Is Montblanc darker or lighter?
2. How does the inkflow compare?
3. Saturation?
4. Any side by side comparison?
5. Anything else you would like to elaborate on.

1.  Montblanc is more saturated, but J. Herbin is darker.

2.  J. Herbin flows better, IMO, but both are great.

3.  see answer no. 1

4.  I only have potatoes for cameras!  I mean I could try but it wouldn't help you much.  XD  Look for reviews of both by the same person, such as

http://www.fountainp...nder-montblanc/

and

http://www.fountainp...-lune-j-herbin/

the photoshop colour values might be particularly helpful and impartial for you

5.  J. Herbin has tiny gold sparkles in it if you inspect it closely.  MB Lavender Purple doesn't.

Hope it helps :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#5 Mulrich

Mulrich

Modern Vintage

• Member - Gold

• 1,709 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 18:44

5.  J. Herbin has tiny gold sparkles in it if you inspect it closely.  MB Lavender Purple doesn't.

Are you're thinking about Herbin's 1798 Amethyste de l’Oural (which has silver glitter)? Poussière de Lune is a standard ink. 

#6 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2019 - 19:12

Are you're thinking about Herbin's 1798 Amethyste de l’Oural (which has silver glitter)? Poussière de Lune is a standard ink. 

Nope, I only discovered the sparse, exceedingly hard to see gold sparkles in this ink while looking at it up close (as in up to my nose) under bright, bright, afternoon summer sunlight.  I was actually tickled pink to find them because they're practically invisible otherwise.  It felt like I'd stumbled across the secret reason this ink is called "Moon Dust" in fact. ;-)  You can't see these sparkles under normal artificial lighting, but I checked, cross-checked, and checked with my sister, who is a calligrapher, and we both can spot them in bright, direct sunlight.  They're very sparse, and they are gold, and when you spot them, they're very pretty. :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#7 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 00:50

I'm going to add Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa into the mix!  It's similar to Poussiere de Lune, but it is Iron Gall-based and has better water resistance.  Very interesting ink.  And it's got such low IG content that it's quite safe for just about any pen.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#8 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 May 2019 - 23:51

I'm going to add Rohrer & Klingner Scabiosa into the mix!  It's similar to Poussiere de Lune, but it is Iron Gall-based and has better water resistance.  Very interesting ink.  And it's got such low IG content that it's quite safe for just about any pen.

+1

I prefer it to the MB and Herbin.

https://www.fountain...ngner-scabiosa/

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#9 pgcauk

pgcauk

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 00:34

Poussiere de Lune is on the red side of violet, where I prefer the blue.
Birmingham Pens do an interesting trilogy of darker violets that covers the range; Lilac Wind, Violet Starling and Frick Building Stained Glass. Price wise ($5.99 for 30ml), quite distinct from MontBlanc!

#10 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,124 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 12:52

There are also other Birmingham inks that might suit, for example, Phipps Conservatory Verbena or Allegheny River Twilight.

My favorite Birmingham Purple is Waterfront Dusk, but that is bluer leaning.

I would characterize Montblanc Lavender Purple as brighter than Poussiere de Lune.  It is dark but not dusty.  I have also found it to write a narrower line than Poussiere in the same pen.

#11 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 09:02

Just for the record, this thread is the reason I bit the bullet and finally ordered myself some Scabiosa.  It's been tempting me for so long.  FPN: always there to push you over the edge, haha!

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#12 ENewton

ENewton

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,124 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 13:04

Just for the record, this thread is the reason I bit the bullet and finally ordered myself some Scabiosa.  It's been tempting me for so long.  FPN: always there to push you over the edge, haha!

The appearance of Scabiosa varies a great deal from pen to pen and from paper to paper, so if you don't like it on the first paper you use, try a different paper.  If you don't like it in the first pen, try a different pen--especially a wetter pen. 

#13 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 19:06

The appearance of Scabiosa varies a great deal from pen to pen and from paper to paper, so if you don't like it on the first paper you use, try a different paper.  If you don't like it in the first pen, try a different pen--especially a wetter pen. 

Started from the gate in a wet pen, it writes wonderfully in a Waterman Reflectis.  Photos, in case this helps anyone looking in this thread for dusty purple resources. I unfortunately don't have either of the other purples inked up yet, nor is my camera any less potato or my lighting any less yellow, but on the off chance they get inked up I'll try to update this post for comparison.  Cheers and thanks for the push, I really like this ink.  And you really can't have too many dusty purples, haha!

scabiosa1.jpg

scabiosa2.jpg

Edited by Enkida, 21 May 2019 - 19:07.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#14 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,463 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2019 - 19:23

Try it on cream / ivory paper!  On Fabriano Bioprima, it's almost browned-gray-purple after drying and a bit of time.  

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ink, montblanc, pilot, herbin, custom 823, purple

Sponsored Content

|