Identifying Sailor 1911 14K

gleemestr

I wonder if anyone are able to identify this pen.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KING-SAILOR-1911-Black-14K-Gold-585-Fountain-Pen-JAPAN-5663/273802684102?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

The nib is not like others i have seen and the name (KING SAILOR 1911) does not make sense to me.

And the Cap band is not like the current pens, with only one band.

I have very little knowledge of the Sailor pens, i does look like an 1911 Large, but maybe an older edition version?

Edited by gleemestr

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• gleemestr

• steve50

• penzel_washinkton

• Algester

Looks like an older 1911 standard. But what's interesting is that it seems to have an 'S-F' nib, which is suspected to mean it's soft but it hasn't been verified.

Edited by steve50

We will see when it arraives.

Do you have Sailor's 'H' nibs? Would be interesting to compare them and see if the H and S really mean 'hard' and 'soft'. But in any case the S nibs are very rare and they are collector items.

Older 1911 Large. You can tell the difference between a large and a standard just by looking at whether "1911" is on the nib. The smaller standard does not have it.

Regarding H and S nibs. I've seen H nibs that can range from being soft to a nail; and likewise with S nibs. No idea why some S nibs are hard despite having seen stickered pens that have "Soft" - in Japanese - on the barrel.

There are other differences aside from the cap band. The obvious one being the section band. The size is, as far as I know, about the same size as the modern Sailors. There are some generational differences between the older 1911 Larges (probably applies to the standards as well), such as integrated/unintegrated section band with the nib unit and different number of slits on the feed.

These pens also came in 21k and 18k, the latter being much less common. I generally see the 18k's reserved for the matte pens or limited editions. I'm guessing the 21k nibs came later in production, phasing out the 14k, but this is only conjecture on my part.

Edited by 25_15_3

thx for fast and great respons. i got kinda duped by the king name, and not doing any reserach i just put in a bid.

Looks like a really nice pen, at a reasonable price, and nice ink; congratulations!

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Don't think the 1911 L comes in a 14K nib?

Might be the 1911 S / Profit instead of the 1911 L.

Early pens in the size did...

I have a banana yellow music nib (single slit, large stub, to my view) from 2004 (when Levenger had a wider selection of pens) with 14K "1911" marked nib -- and a clear jewel with embedded anchor on the end of the cap. If it isn't an early "1911" series pen, I have no idea what to call it. It's proportioned differently from my "Imperial for Levenger" LE, and much larger than my Magellan.

Early pens in the size did...

I have a banana yellow music nib (single slit, large stub, to my view) from 2004 (when Levenger had a wider selection of pens) with 14K "1911" marked nib -- and a clear jewel with embedded anchor on the end of the cap. If it isn't an early "1911" series pen, I have no idea what to call it. It's proportioned differently from my "Imperial for Levenger" LE, and much larger than my Magellan.

I see, thanks for the heads up