Writing Paper - For Letters - Where To Begin?

thesmellofdustafterrain

I don't know where to begin my search for new letter writing paper. I've tried bouncing around amazon and google for hours with no luck. The thing is, I don't really know what I want, just that I want it to have certain qualities. Maybe you can help me get started?

When I was in the UK, I could buy a letter writing pad at any news agents for less than two pounds. The one I have left is from WH Smith and cost £1.69. It's A5 and had 100 sheets of paper with one lined sheet and one blotter sheet. It also came with matching envelopes, sold separately, with designs on the inside of the envelope so the writing wouldn't show through. I like this touch.

The size of this paper is perfect, but even with a fine nib, there's a lot of ghosting so I can only write on one side even with a fine nib. I really want to be able to write on both sides.

Also, the paper is a bit heavy - as in if I write more than a few pages, it weighs enough to bump me into the next price range and I need extra stamps to post the letter. If I could write on both sides this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

I also really like the blotter sheet that comes with the pad. Maybe there is some way to buy this paper separately and cut it to size?

I also like that it comes in a pad so the papers don't get disheveled. But if the paper is nice, I can forgo this luxury.

What kind of paper do I want? What do I search for? Any off the top of your head recommendations?

When I search for letter writing paper, online and in the stores here in Canada, all I find are decorative paper. I don't even know where to begin finding envolopes even if I could find a blank pad of fountain pen friendly writing paper.

Can you help me find the perfect paper?

petrichor

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Karmachanic

• thesmellofdustafterrain

• almoore

• ImThatGuy

A few questions:

- How much are you willing to spend? £1.69 for 100 sheets of paper sounds pretty amazing and would be difficult to match.

- Are you wanting a letter set (with matching envelopes) or will any decent-looking A5 lined paper that can be mailed with generic envelopes do? For example, you could just buy an A5 size Rhodia notepad and any C6 size envelopes from a local office supply store.

I personally go straight for Japanese stationery because of the good quality paper and pretty designs, but it is more expensive. Some brands with letter sets that you can find online are Muji, Life Stationery, Midori, Pilot.

Not sure if it's available near you but Basildon Bond was always very nice letter writing pads and is still available I believe.

Al

Wow, almost four pounds for a letter pad. Times have changed!

I would like to spend about $5 to $10 for a pad of paper. But, if the quality is good, then I can spend more. I just don't like the idea of forking out a lot of cash and being disappointed.

I like the idea of blank paper rather than lined. I'm thinking about printing up a Spencerian guide sheet for an a5 size.

I'm thinking about Clairefontaine Triomphe A5 Tablet - Blank. Can I write on both sides of this paper with a fine or medium nib without it ghosting too much?

petrichor

Not sure if it's available near you but Basildon Bond was always very nice letter writing pads and is still available I believe.

Al

Basildon Bond is still going and available online

Basildon Bond is still going and available online

In Canada?

Add lightness and simplicate.

I work near a WH Smith and this is what they have:

WH Smith: https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/whsmith-a5-plain-white-writing-paper-pad-100-sheets/33188997

Basildon Bond Personal Watermarked: https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/basildon-bond-white-watermarked-writing-paper/34815489

Basildon Bond A4 Watermarked: https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/basildon-bond-a4-watermarked-personal-writing-paper/34815526

Amazon.co.uk have a better range inc. envelopes and the airmail writing pads and envelopes.

If you decide you want something, PM me and I can arrange to post it to you.

Al

I find Tomoe River loose sheets (100 per pack) and HP 32 cost effective. Cut in half for A5 size. Envelopes purchased separately.

Buying the HP 32 will be adaptable to other needs. I create shirt pocket sized notes with it

I've had good luck with American Stationery co. You can personalize the writing sheets wit monograms of your initials on the top and also have return address printed on the envelope. I only write n one side so ghosting isn't a problem. Don't know if they have samples to try beforehand.

Pat Barnes a.k.a. billz

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, almost four pounds for a letter pad. Times have changed!

I would like to spend about $5 to $10 for a pad of paper. But, if the quality is good, then I can spend more. I just don't like the idea of forking out a lot of cash and being disappointed.

I like the idea of blank paper rather than lined. I'm thinking about printing up a Spencerian guide sheet for an a5 size.

I'm thinking about Clairefontaine Triomphe A5 Tablet - Blank. Can I write on both sides of this paper with a fine or medium nib without it ghosting too much?

Clairefontaine Triomphe is wonderful, you can write on both sizes of the paper, it doesn't ghost much and it is lightweight enough for worldwide correspondence.

Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

Clairefontaine Triomphe is wonderful, you can write on both sizes of the paper, it doesn't ghost much and it is lightweight enough for worldwide correspondence.5 pads with matching envelopes. Highly recommended.

+1 from me. Excellent paper. I use A5 pads with matching envelopes. Love the stuff. try Goulet Pens - good source.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Thanks for the recommendation. From my reading, Clairfontaine is at the top of my list, but I wasn't sure.

I tried my Canadian supplier but they don't have the ink I want in stock, so I think I'll go with Goulet. They have a sample pack with some tiny notepads in different paper types I can try.

Another source of paper might be my friend who is travelling to Japan this fall and offered to bring me back stuff so long as it's fairly lightweight. I've liked Muji paper in the past. Is it still good?

petrichor

Amalfi is great paper. It takes your writing experience back in time to medieval Italy. Its a bit spendy but worth it.

Yes and yes: Amatruda from Amalfi is pretty amazing paper (it almost feels like some sort of soft cloth, yet is great to write on with a fountain pen), and it is expensive. Due to the price and the weight of the paper, it would probably be a one- or two-page letter paper for you, but get a pack of letter sheets and envelopes if you can sometime, just to try it.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

• 1 month later...

I would recommend Rhodia if you just want writing pads. Very nice and I don't have issues with ghosting or bleed-through.

I'd appreciate some guidance for 'actual' stationery. While I don't mind using dotted or lined paper like Rhodia or Clairefountaine, it would be nice to have some REAL, pretty stationery for special use.

"Actual Stationery" :)

Original Crown Mill

G Lalo

Pineider

Amatruda ( as mentioned above)

Scriptum

Velky Losine

Basildon Bond

Clairefontaine Triomphe

Bohemia Paper

Conqueror

Velké Losiny (handmade paper)

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons." – General D. MacArthur

“Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm.” – W. Churchill