New Inks From Octopus Fluids

mke

I wish we had more local ubiquitous affordable brands here in the USA. Birmingham is kind of the only option.

If Hero could get their 12 color line sold here in the US for the ~$5/bottle I got it for (I found it for like $3/bottle from someone who must've smuggled it all into hong kong) it'd be a killer line. Every single color in that line is AWESOME.

You can still get them all on aliexpress for about $8/bottle after shipping (regular blue, black, coffee, sky blue, and dark blue are all particularly great)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32923620714.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.66.63e7318axGyFH3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_2_10065_10130_10068_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_10084_453_454_10083_10618_10307_537_536_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103%2Csearchweb201603_53%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=537f1e80-4fd9-4ce9-92d7-e32d833cbcfd-8&algo_pvid=537f1e80-4fd9-4ce9-92d7-e32d833cbcfd

I do like that they do big 250mL bottles. I dunno why, but I really want a gallon of noodlers dark matter (Luxury brands did sell gallon bottles for a while), particularly in one of the vintage US Army Corps of Engineers bottles.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• almoore

• 1nkulus

• mke

• Intensity

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget about Papier Plume from New Orleans too--they sell their ink on-line as well.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

• 7 months later...

Octopus 250ml bottles available at AMZ UK

Might have to buy 4 of the Schwarz. Just in case.

Edited by Karmachanic

Add lightness and simplicate.

• 2 months later...

Having looked at all of Visvamitra's Octopus reviews I'd say go for it. Well behaved, reasonably priced and heroic shading.

I have Schwarz and will be getting Burgunder

Having looked at all of Visvamitra's Octopus reviews I'd say go for it. Well behaved, reasonably priced and heroic shading.

How obvious is that bluish-tealish tint to Schwarz? Do you need a pretty dry writing pen to see it? When you write with the ink normally, does it just look plain black?

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Did Visvamitra test ultramarine too? I think at the time only Royal blue was out. I'll probably try it anyway, the small bottle is reasonably cheap on Amazon and with prime free delivery cost will not go up due to shipping...

How obvious is that bluish-tealish tint to Schwarz? Do you need a pretty dry writing pen to see it? When you write with the ink normally, does it just look plain black?

I've been using it in Pilot 912 FA. which I purchased for softness rather than line variation. Given that I find the nib wet, and the ink goes down a faint "bluish-tealish" undertone. Subtle soft black. I find this is accurate: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/281570-schwarz-octopus/?do=findComment&comment=3231938

Edited by Karmachanic

• 4 weeks later...

has anyone tried Octopus ultramarine blue? I'm curious to know what it's like

Yes, it has become one of my workhorses.

Flow and lubrication on the medium side.

Not recommended for dry pens, works very well in my Pelikans.

It is a medium blue, quite saturated.

Perfect for daily writing, and the 250 ml bottle is a good deal.

Don't take life too seriously

Nobody makes it out alive anyway

• 1 month later...

I wish we had more local ubiquitous affordable brands here in the USA. Birmingham is kind of the only option.

If Hero could get their 12 color line sold here in the US for the ~$5/bottle I got it for (I found it for like $3/bottle from someone who must've smuggled it all into hong kong) it'd be a killer line. Every single color in that line is AWESOME.

You can still get them all on aliexpress for about $8/bottle after shipping (regular blue, black, coffee, sky blue, and dark blue are all particularly great)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32923620714.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.66.63e7318axGyFH3&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0%2Csearchweb201602_2_10065_10130_10068_10547_319_10546_317_10548_10545_10696_10084_453_454_10083_10618_10307_537_536_10059_10884_10887_321_322_10103%2Csearchweb201603_53%2CppcSwitch_0&algo_expid=537f1e80-4fd9-4ce9-92d7-e32d833cbcfd-8&algo_pvid=537f1e80-4fd9-4ce9-92d7-e32d833cbcfd

I do like that they do big 250mL bottles. I dunno why, but I really want a gallon of noodlers dark matter (Luxury brands did sell gallon bottles for a while), particularly in one of the vintage US Army Corps of Engineers bottles.

I used to buy octopus fluids while on business trips to Germany.............I mean, they are really nice and cost what they should. Otherwise in the US you can get at Goulet Pelikan 4001 for 10$ that for me is an awful ink that you pay in Europe around 3€, that being said, it's the cheapest of the cheapest you can get if you want ink in a bottle. No, I'm wrong, I think you can get the 4001 at 30€ the liter on Amazon...

10$ for a 35ml of ink is.........I mean, better to load wine to the pen, and a good one!

Alternatively you fall in the Sellner sphere.............who's that?

Who's making all inks from Montblanc to Monteverde to ANY in Austria, so if you wanna something different you fall in the little European brands that are around from Germany or France, that you're sure they are artisans.... just don't get stolen by Goulet, Yafa and co...

Those are my 2 cents on the subject..

Jay

has anyone tried Octopus ultramarine blue? I'm curious to know what it's like

, I did, it happens that I have all, I mean ALL the colors...........around 21 bottles of so, my favorite is KARAMELL, it really rocks!

Ink is really great, The ultramarine is really, just go for it!!