The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pen Chest Question

pen chest pen case fountain pen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Mayacamas

Mayacamas

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 April 2019 - 18:46

Dear FPN,

I recently started collecting fountain pens-- some are beautiful and I'd love to display them but I am concerned about UV damage.

Does anyone have any advice to protect the pens from UV light other than covering them or storing them in a drawer?  

Better yet, can anyone recommend a pen case that has UV protective glass?

Thank you so much!

Maya

Sponsored Content

#2 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:13

The only materials you really need to worry about with UV are ebonite and celluloid unless you're keeping your pen box in a place that gets direct sunlight all of the time. Urushi finished pens also don't like UV. I don't know of any chests that have UV glass in them but you could always apply some UV film to the glass if you want. It would add a bit to the cost but would give peace of mind.

Edited by OmegaMountain, 24 April 2019 - 08:39.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

#3 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,551 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:15

Cigar humidors ....and some day I'll get those felt rills to put in them. :rolleyes:

The little one is burl vernier with cedar lining, the big one is walnut.

My wife did buy me a cherry two drawered glass topped  pen box, so I never got around to fixing up my humidors.

You should be able to pick them up cheap at Flea Markets or Ebay.

They are full of pens even so.

And stiff leather cigar cases are really good for pen cases, one don't have to spend big money getting a leather pen case, when cheaper flea market/ebay leather cigar cases do the job just fine. I have two of them..............then free pen cases started raining in on me....

wHvZo9W.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 24 April 2019 - 10:20.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#4 sirgilbert357

sirgilbert357

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,690 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 16:49

The only materials you really need to worry about with UV are ebonite and celluloid unless you're keeping your pen box in a place that gets direct sunlight all of the time. Urushi finished pens also don't like UV. I don't know of any chests that have UV glass in them but you could always apply some UV film to the glass if you want. It would add a bit to the cost but would give peace of mind.

I'll just say that my vehicle is supposed to have UV glass in all the windows and I've still managed to get a sunburn on my left arm and left knee from a long road trip during which I was in the sun's rays for the morning portion of the trip. I now wear long sleeves and pants for ANY road trip in the car. If UV glass can't block enough UV rays to keep me from getting a sunburn in just a few hours, then it's not likely going to protect UV sensitive materials over the long haul -- even less so a UV "stick-on film" to add to non UV glass.

I'd just keep your pens out of the sun, period. Sorry I don't have any better suggestions than that.

Edited by sirgilbert357, 24 April 2019 - 16:50.

#5 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 19:52

I'll just say that my vehicle is supposed to have UV glass in all the windows and I've still managed to get a sunburn on my left arm and left knee from a long road trip during which I was in the sun's rays for the morning portion of the trip. I now wear long sleeves and pants for ANY road trip in the car. If UV glass can't block enough UV rays to keep me from getting a sunburn in just a few hours, then it's not likely going to protect UV sensitive materials over the long haul -- even less so a UV "stick-on film" to add to non UV glass.

I'd just keep your pens out of the sun, period. Sorry I don't have any better suggestions than that.

Many vehicles only have UV glass in the windshield.

Edited by OmegaMountain, 25 April 2019 - 00:23.

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pen chest, pen case, fountain pen

Sponsored Content

|