Parker 51 Clips

surprise123

I was walking around school today, with my navy grey aerometric clipped in my pocket. I went to pull it out, and the clip tore a gash in my pocket. Do all Parker 51 clips have this habit of tearing into fabric, or is it just me?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• pajaro

• surprise123

• FarmBoy

• Paul80

Top Posters In This Topic

My data would indicate the design was specifically done to target you as I have not had this problem.

San Francisco International Pen Show - The next “Funnest Pen Show” is on schedule for August 23-24-25, 2024.  Watch the show website for registration details. 

My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

Has not happened to me with my pens (any brand, make, or model).

Perhaps you should check to see if the clip on your pen was improperly bent.

I have noticed different levels of tightness on clips, 51s and others. Tearing a shirt, though, that's pretty extreme. You must have been targeted. Perhaps the original owner hexed it.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

I have noticed different levels of tightness on clips, 51s and others. Tearing a shirt, though, that's pretty extreme. You must have been targeted. Perhaps the original owner hexed it.

I looked closely today when I got home, turns out the clip bottom was stamped improperly. The joints should be smooth, but one folded "wing" sticks out and juts into clothing. With a small piece of wood I was able to bend it back into place.

It wasn't cheap clothing either, I just yanked particularly hard that time. While it is true the clip is very tight, the fatal flaw here is that Parker decided to go with folding the clip ball inwards. This left a very sharp corner on the inside of the clip, perfect for snagging fibers.

Just so you dont feel like the Lone Ranger here, Ive had some issues (without the torn shirt) when the clip is too tight. Tarnished Gold clips have left marks on a white shirt. Ive put holes in the outside fabric of my pocket More than once. I know from being kind of klutzy at times, and always in a hurry, that the pointy arrow head will burry itself in the outside fabric of your pocket if you try to get it in there quickly..getting it out of the fabric past the barbed end of the arrow head is not something to do in a hurry.

Ive been a sticking a Parker of one kind or another in my shirt pocket for 40 years. Must be just you and I that have damaged shirts. 😉. Over time, Ive learned to be careful putting my Parker pens in, and taking them out of my pockets. But that never stopped me from being a habitual Parker Pen user.

I looked closely today when I got home, turns out the clip bottom was stamped improperly. The joints should be smooth, but one folded "wing" sticks out and juts into clothing. With a small piece of wood I was able to bend it back into place.

It wasn't cheap clothing either, I just yanked particularly hard that time. While it is true the clip is very tight, the fatal flaw here is that Parker decided to go with folding the clip ball inwards. This left a very sharp corner on the inside of the clip, perfect for snagging fibers.

That was a good job finding the cause of the clip tearing your shirt. Very sharp.

Edited by pajaro

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.