Recommendation For A Good German Fp Manufacturer With Good Quality Control.

kikopens

Pelikan is a lovely brand, but I dont know why their pens don't amuse me. GvFC pens suit my eyes though :D

Yeah, I had to incur an extra tax for importing a pen from EU. Except that everything went smooth.

I am definitely going to look for what you suggested. Actually I don't know why I never get much amused by Pelikan pens :P

Hi Arijitdutta,

I understand... with the exception of some of their special editions, which can be costly... Pelikan stlying is pretty staid... but they are great pens. :)

Whatever pen you end up choosing, I hope it really rings your chimes. :)

- Anthony

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kikopens

• 1nkulus

• Bo Bo Olson

• Enkida

If you don't like Pelikans I suspect you've only seen the regular issue, green stripped ones. There are many striking limited issue, or past production runs.........like the 600's city collection.

The 600 BlueO'blue, Green O'green and a number of others.

Over the last couple years the 800's have been catching up to the 600's in fancy.

I find GvFC to be a heavy pen....with a nail nib. I don't chase nails.

If you must have a nail then Pelikan has an 800 and lately they made some fine 800's.....Renascence Brown at least looks good to me. Looks as good as the great classic Grand Place 600....could be they have a Grand Place 800 too. I don't follow the nail 800, in it is a nail like the GvFC.

If you put your mind to it, there must be 20-25 real nice LE or older production runs that are great.

I like the light and nimble medium-large 600's. The 600 has a bit wider girth than the 400. The Large 800 is wider and is brass gutted back weighted, is butter smooth. The 1000 is there if you want a big honking pen.

The 400/200 is not a small pen, but standard sized.

The modern 400//600 are semi-nail gold nibs...

The advantage of a 400/600 if you want a two toned 'butter smooth' nib they have that....in semi-nail....and can take a monotone semi-vintage '82-97 nice springy regular flex.....not butter smooth (good and smooth the level under butter smooth...which wasn't really don't in the old days, because the nibs were not round like now.) But writes with a cleaner line. Those and the vintage '50-65 semi-flex nibs are 1/2 a width narrower than the fatter writing modern Pelikans.

Semi-flex is a nib that gives you flair with a max nib tine spread of up to 3X a light down stroke..........but that is for much later for you, when you no longer chase nails.

GvFC is only nails...IMO the pens are not all that well balanced....but I think that of most Large pens...I do go to my B&M often enough and have looked at the fine and fancy pretty GvFC pens....ill balanced nails. :unsure: Sigh cubed.

.................there are some very nice steel or gold plated nibbed standard sized affordable 200's which are very nice springy regular flex nibs = to the '82-97 semi-vintage gold nib. When posted the 400/200/600 have great balance and are not too small. Good balance in a fountain pen is hard to find in Modern Days....the Pelikan 200/400/600 has it and the MB146 has some.

I rave about the 200's nib a lot....and if you want wider or a narrower nib it costs @ E27,,,,

GvFC is not a screw out nib.

Regular flex like the 200/100 or what the Japanese pen owners call 'soft' are great nibs for two toned shading inks.

F & M are a good nib width, no matter what those who chase super narrow nibs say, M is a good width...............Those who chase B and wider nibs actually don't have any thing bad to say about a M nib outside it's too narrow for them. :lticaptd:

Marbled Brown 200, looks even better in real life. My last two 200's a 215 and a Amethyst (Limited Edition) were in M and I'm happy with it.

M is a good nib width in case you ever buy some classic laid or linen/linen effect paper.

DSPqv6F.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

In my opinion you can't really go wrong with either Montblanc, Graf von Faber Castell or Pelikan when it comes to quality. Find what pen fits your lifestyle, writing style and comfort the best.

The sword is mightier than the pen. However, swords are now obsolete whereas pens are not.

-Unknown

I'm just going to repeat here for the OP that Faber Castell is the most consistent German FP producer that I know of. Their pen nib widths also tend to run along more Japanese sizes than EU sizes. I had a problem with two of their cheaper pens (WritINK and LOOM) that I bought directly off their German website, and they didn't ask questions or ask me to send the pens back, they just sent out replacements for the damaged part / a whole new pen immediately. I can only imagine the GvFC high-end pen customer service is even better.

I will agree with the above, that they only make nail pens, and their pens tend towards the heavy side (which is why I personally don't use them much, though I just love their nibs to death).

Edited by Enkida

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Is there a reason why one would want narrower than marked Japanese sized nibs?.........out side one is a printer? They are so narrow because they were made for a tiny printed Japanese script.

If so why not buy a Japanese pen?

Knowing western is fatter, folks with Japanese pens buy western and have the nerve to complain, nibs made for flowing cursive writing is fatter than nibs made for tiny printing. :doh:

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Err, the problem I had wasn't with the nib width, but that one pen barrel was cracked and the other pen nib was wiggling in the barrel from being improperly mounted.

... which, actually, to the OP's question, leaves open the quality control issue - their nibs are great, but obviously, I had quality control problems with the cheaper pen barrels. Of course they fixed it quickly and painlessly, but I suppose if you want QC for the whole pen body, that would speak against them. Their nibs are wonderfully consistent compared to, say, Lamy, though.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

I buy very few new pens, and at a B&M mostly.........had no problems with my 605, 215, Amethyst or the new Marbled Brown 200's.

Mostly I buy used 'cheaper' pens.

I've had no problems with any of the old vintage or semi-vintage Pelikans or even the used 1005.

Had no problem with Lamy either....but they were only 'newly' used or semi-vintage. The vintage 27 I had worked, as do the Artus ones I still have.

Dead corks in vintage Osmia were half expected...... :(...but now they are up and writing.

If any pen is new, and there is a problem....not is this problem normal, but a problem. I appreciate a noobie trying to find out if it is normal or a problem, but sending back a new faulty pen/nib should be automatic.

Then complain about it.