Recommendation For A Good German Fp Manufacturer With Good Quality Control.

kikopens

I am a "Japanese pen only" guy. I use Fine and Medium nibs ony. I love Japanese Q/C, build quality, well everything about them. After having very poor experience with Lamy and Kaweco, I tend to avoid German brands. Any other good German or EU brands that has great Q/C? Any remarks on GvFC?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kikopens

• 1nkulus

• Bo Bo Olson

• Enkida

Hi Arijitdutta,

I do not think you'll encounter any problems with GvFC... they're build quality is excellent and their nibs are exceptional.

For the most part, except for an occasional bb issue, I really like Pelikan's, too.

Be well... choose well. :)

- Anthony

Faber Castell is very good. They are at the cheaper end, but their nibs are fantastic. I haven't experience GFvC, but their cheaper brand is excellent.

MontBlanc (German) are no slouches either - certainly I enjoy using mine. They have resin and metal pens - their nibs are different to Japanese ones, being a bit broader and smooth - the nibs are hard. There are fakes out there - and repairs are expensive - so if buying second hand make sure it is in good condition. Repairs start at £90

S T Dupont (French) are superlative. S T Dupont don't make resin pens - like MB - but metal - which means they are heavier than MB, but are very well balanced. The nibs have a little flex, being springy, but not much - similar to Platinum's 18K nibs on their modern Make-i. Certainly, I wouldn't want to force it. Be careful if buying 2nd hand, there are a lot of fakes out there.

Caran d'Ache (Swiss, so not EU) are also fine makers of pens.

I don't have Pelikan - the one Italian Pen I have (Visconti) has not let me down.

If you order from The Writing Desk in the UK, they will test the pen before they send them it, which means you'll get one that writes out of the box.

All brands are prone to occasional hiccups.

Just ensure the retailer checks the nib prior to shipping.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Hi Arijitdutta,

I do not think you'll encounter any problems with GvFC... they're build quality is excellent and their nibs are exceptional.

For the most part, except for an occasional bb issue, I really like Pelikan's, too.

Be well... choose well. :)

- Anthony

Pelikan is a lovely brand, but I dont know why their pens don't amuse me. GvFC pens suit my eyes though :D

Faber Castell is very good. They are at the cheaper end, but their nibs are fantastic. I haven't experience GFvC, but their cheaper brand is excellent.

MontBlanc (German) are no slouches either - certainly I enjoy using mine. They have resin and metal pens - their nibs are different to Japanese ones, being a bit broader and smooth - the nibs are hard. There are fakes out there - and repairs are expensive - so if buying second hand make sure it is in good condition. Repairs start at £90

S T Dupont (French) are superlative. S T Dupont don't make resin pens - like MB - but metal - which means they are heavier than MB, but are very well balanced. The nibs have a little flex, being springy, but not much - similar to Platinum's 18K nibs on their modern Make-i. Certainly, I wouldn't want to force it. Be careful if buying 2nd hand, there are a lot of fakes out there.

Caran d'Ache (Swiss, so not EU) are also fine makers of pens.

I don't have Pelikan - the one Italian Pen I have (Visconti) has not let me down.

If you order from The Writing Desk in the UK, they will test the pen before they send them it, which means you'll get one that writes out of the box.

MBs are good with broader nibs, my friend owns a fine MB nib which writes like a German medium on the broader side.

ST Dupont, Visconti are way too costly for me to afford right now. V

I looked up for Caran d'Ache, I like the sleek look. Going to shortlist it.

You would be better of importing one through friends/family due to the variety abroad and the scandalous Indian pricing.

Which Japanese pens do you have to get an idea of style/size?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

You would be better of importing one through friends/family due to the variety abroad and the scandalous Indian pricing.

Which Japanese pens do you have to get an idea of style/size?

I generally buy my Japanese pens from a Japanese seller available in India which sells at a very very reasonable price. I have a couple of VPs, a CH 912, a E95s, a Pro Gear, and a 3776 all in either fine or medium nib sizes.

When it comes to Western brands, I generally buy them from Cultpens or sites in UK.

Every brand has faulty pens or nibs here and then, but what matters is how much. Getting a repair service from India is very hectic. Thats why I lean towards brands with better Q/C

When it comes to Western brands, I generally buy them from Cultpens or sites in UK.

No matter how good the brand Q/C, you could still get the odd one. Hence, buy from a retailer that can check prior to shipping.

Don't choose brands, choose the pen you like and just have it checked.

OTOH, how is the customs situation in India? Costs, hassles etc.?

Engineer :

All the Lamy pens I have work amazingly and consistently out of the box.

But since you've had a bad experience with them, I suggest you look at some Pelikan pens. Even the vintage ones are amazing.

Edited by RudraDev

Have given these as first fountain pens...

fpn_1319836941__pels186742.jpg

Also these Italian fountain pens...

fpn_1315591130__kaleido_voyagerclub_vers

Depends on who we're talkin' bout....and who is giving......

Redactin': Sometimes they get vintage......

Fred

enjoy the day...................

Edited by Freddy

The nearly perfect QC of German pens seems a thing of the past, unfortunately. But to the best of my knowledge, GvFC still comes the closest and they make fabulous pens. I've also heard good things about their excellent and very obliging service. They are not cheap (the Pen of the Year can cost a wooping 3.500 €!). I only have one modern GvFC Guilloche, which wrote perfectly out of the box. I think their nibs (based on Bock and refined by FC) are excellent and I like them as much as modern Pelikan. I'm not very fond of modern Montblanc but that's just my personal taste.

However, I think the most fun German pens are vintage from the 1950s and 1960s. The old 400NN comes pretty close to the perfect pen for me and can be found with interesting nibs and in excellent condition for a real bargain. Last week I shot one with OBB nib in nearly perfect condition for just under 60 €. :) Vintage Osmia/Faber-Castell probably sport the best nibs but are rarer and it's more difficult to find your way around in their labyrinth of countless models and variants. Same with vintage Kaweco, which I'd always prefer over the new "Kawecos".

One more thing. If you have a good brick and mortar store specialized on fountain pens, they might be able to fix minor issues or tune the nibs in case it should be needed. Most fixes are pretty easy if you have a little experience.

If you buy in a brick and mortar there should be no trouble.....it is when you buy by mail, the display boxes are not sturdy and built for a pen to withstand mailing forces.

Buying in a store also eliminates baby bottom, which happens because everyone desires butter smooth nibs and they are often over polished which causes baby bottom. That was not a problem with NOS semi-vintage or vintage as far as I know.

If you buy, a German pen and it has baby bottom, ship it immediately back..........actually make sure the nib is checked before it is mailed. Don't waste time complaining here....mail it back, then complain here. Baby Bottom.....hard starting, delayed starting....half a letter don't show up at the start of the writing session.

You must learn how to align tines.....it's no big deal if one has done it a few times. The first time was a bit..... :unsure:

You must have a 10X good glass loupe or a cheap 40X Chinese one to see if the tines are aligned.

Press the up nib down with your fingernail from the breather hole, so the up tine is under the low tine....for about 2 seconds, do that twice, check....three times mostly does the trick....every once in a while one might need 4 times.

Mailed pens often have misaligned tines IMO because the display box is only good for display, not rough mailing. Or one can bang a nib against the desk or paper pad and knock the tines out of alignment. It is a normal thing to need to know how to do.

Perhaps Japanese shipping boxes are better than the rest of the world....if you have always had aligned tines.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

No matter how good the brand Q/C, you could still get the odd one. Hence, buy from a retailer that can check prior to shipping.

Don't choose brands, choose the pen you like and just have it checked.

OTOH, how is the customs situation in India? Costs, hassles etc.?

Yeah, that's the better idea though. A friend suggested to try Nibsmith.com or nibs.com for buying.

I don't know much about the customs situation now though. I ordered a couple of times from cultpens and got the shipment delivered within a month or so.

Yeah, that's the better idea though. A friend suggested to try Nibsmith.com or nibs.com for buying.

I don't know much about the customs situation now though. I ordered a couple of times from cultpens and got the shipment delivered within a month or so.

For Pelikan, you can try https://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/

They offer nib grinding if you want and will check the pen prior to shipping.

Global shipping is not free like Cult but will cost £7.50 (tracked and insured) up to 2kg or £40 with courier up to 3kg.

OTOH, a month is a long time for delivery. yikes.gif

Did you incur any additional charges on the Cult order?

Engineer :

For Pelikan, you can try https://www.pelikanpens.co.uk/

They offer nib grinding if you want and will check the pen prior to shipping.

Global shipping is not free like Cult but will cost £7.50 (tracked and insured) up to 2kg or £40 with courier up to 3kg.

OTOH, a month is a long time for delivery. yikes.gif

Did you incur any additional charges on the Cult order?

Yeah, I had to incur an extra tax for importing a pen from EU. Except that everything went smooth.

I am definitely going to look for what you suggested. Actually I don't know why I never get much amused by Pelikan pens :P

Have given these as first fountain pens...

fpn_1319836941__pels186742.jpg

Also these Italian fountain pens...

fpn_1315591130__kaleido_voyagerclub_vers

Depends on who we're talkin' bout....and who is giving......

Redactin': Sometimes they get vintage......

Fred

enjoy the day...................

Great to see your Visconti Voyagers , Fred! (sorry for the OT)

Using Japanese pens in F and M you will be used to very fine nibs that you will not find so easily in German modern pens.

Nonetheless you may check out Montblanc EF or F. Pelikan has great QC but their nibs are probably not fine enough for you, the same I would probably say for GvFC.

Some earlier Italian pen do have nice F nibs, Delta made some nice F gold nibs which would write a fine line, Visconti also but you need to find the early 18k nibs (like in the Voyagers shown above by Fred).

fpn_1555967474__visconti-voyager-midnigh

Depending on where you are located, you might be able to look at the pens locally prior to ordering.

Once you decide on a brand and model, we can suggest stores abroad.

Engineer :

no pen is perfect.

Diplomat and MB are well known for good QC, as is faber castell. I've heard some GvFC pens are prone to drying out due a poor cap seal design.

Pelikan is reliable as well, but no brand, not even MB or pelikan, is immune to QC failures. Japanese brands are just the absolute best at preventing the issues.

The lamy 2000 is a reliably extremely high quality pen. Much moreso than the rest of their line (which apart from the CP-1, I'm really not a fan of)

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)