Why Twsbi 580 Or Mini, Vs Eco?

Brianm_14

Hi,

I have been very satisfied with the two TWSBI Ecos I have acquired over the past 18 months, using them both on a nearly daily basis, both at my desks at home and at work. The low price attracted me at first, each time. Now I am happy with how they write and carry in my pocket or soft briefcase (I am a university professor) as I regularly shift among various lecture and seminar rooms. I particularly like seeing the beautiful inks displayed inside, and this frequently starts up interesting conversations about fountain pens with students.

Now I am wondering -what if anything- am I missing by not using a 580 or Mini?

Thanks! I am looking forward to hearing your various, always interesting (!) responses.

Greetings to everyone, wishing you a blessed and peaceful Passover or Easter, and to our Eastern Othodox brethren in a week's time.

Brian

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Brianm_14

• Misfit

• TSherbs

• 1nkulus

As the owner of quite a few TWSBI models, I have come to view the Eco as my favourite. There are small functional differences between the Eco, 580 and mini and the minor objective differences involve weight, dimensions and section material . The main differences are subjective and obviously quite personal. I know other owners who love the TWSBI range like I do but prefer the 580 or Mini for purely subjective reasons.

To answer your question, I don't think you are missing anything significant apart from the cost difference where the Eco has a pleasant advantage.

I kind of dislike my 580 because it doesn't post properly.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I love it when fellow members endorse a choice as sensible, which as it turns out, saves me money, per pen.

It is nice to have a couple of Eco's inked, with different nibs, each showing to fully glory the subltlies of the shading and color of the ink for that particular charge of ink! It seems to me to be less of a demonstrator than an Eco, in It's purposeful glory.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

Brian

Considering TWSBI QC, I would go with the lowest denominator.

The 580, at almost double the price, brings nothing extra to the table compared to the ECO apart from being 8g heavier.

'AL' version features aluminum piston parts.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I have owned both a TWSBI Eco and Vac Mini. Of the two, I only miss the Eco. Fantastic value for money.

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

You own two TWSBIs. That's enough. You're not missing anything.

+1

Plenty of other fish in the pond to sample.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• 5 months later...

Is there a way to remove the nib from a Mini nib and feed unit? I was told the Mini nib would fit an Eco. I bought one, but so far I have only managed to break off parts of the feed. I only want the nib, not the feed.

Can someone please tell me how to get the nib out of the Mini nib and feed unit? Thank you.

Posted Image

The 580 nib is bigger and more substantial than the Eco. Also, 580 nib/feed units are easily removable for swapping, refilling, cleaning.

Rhanks to everyone who has shared from their considerable experience. I now have three TWSBI Ecos because I need -and want- a diversity of colors for use in making notes for a book I am writing with one of my sons, plus they are handy for makinf comments on student papers (I am a college professor).

-Red when you have ignored the assignment and just written what came to mind, or made truly stupid errors for a junior in college;

-Waterman brown when I want to suggest a better way of phrasing your ideas;

-Blue or Green when you just wowed me,

But a case has been successfully made for tbe TWSBI 580, esp. because of its nib! Tha ks so much.

Now to sell off a few pens that are very nice, but just not me,

Brian

Is there a way to remove the nib from a Mini nib and feed unit? I was told the Mini nib would fit an Eco. I bought one, but so far I have only managed to break off parts of the feed. I only want the nib, not the feed.

Can someone please tell me how to get the nib out of the Mini nib and feed unit? Thank you.

The TWSBI Mini nib is friction fit into the feed, but very tightly - and the fins are easily broken trying to get it out. FPNibs have a (now dated) YouTube clip that's worth a look - they no longer sell all the replacement nib options mentioned in the video, but *are* one of the few companies to sell bare TWSBI nibs for the Eco, Mini, Vac Mini and/or Classic pens.

For future reference, I've found the Vac Mini nibs, which will also fit an Eco, are more easily removed from their assemblies without damaging the fins of the feed...

The FPNibs video:

• 2 weeks later...

I've gone through a number of various TWSBI's over the years.

Factory return policy is outstanding.

Quality control is spotty. Some pens are outstanding and smooth writers out of the box, others scratchy or inconsistent feeding, etc. But, when you get a good one, keep it.

I've passed on all of my TWSB's except for 3 favorites. All Diamond 580 AL, ALR's.

I like the weight and heft of them. Don't need to post them.

The TWSBI Mini nib is friction fit into the feed, but very tightly - and the fins are easily broken trying to get it out. FPNibs have a (now dated) YouTube clip that's worth a look - they no longer sell all the replacement nib options mentioned in the video, but *are* one of the few companies to sell bare TWSBI nibs for the Eco, Mini, Vac Mini and/or Classic pens.

For future reference, I've found the Vac Mini nibs, which will also fit an Eco, are more easily removed from their assemblies without damaging the fins of the feed...

The FPNibs video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyIeURfba1k

Thank you so much for the information and video. I have broken two fins, but suppose I have no need for the feed. I’ve had family visiting, so had a hiatus from FPN.

Posted Image

I had a twsbi eco and the nib got scratchy on it somehow. I contacted TWSBI and they said the nib isn't replaceable, it's basically a disposable pen. I wasn't really happy with that level of customer service.

The 580-AL and 580-ALR are relatively heavy pens, because of the aluminum -- even though the plastic would make you think that they'd be pretty lightweight. Plus, they have what I consider a serious design flaw -- but I was just told that the Eco also has the same issue: the pistons do not extend all the way to the back of the feed, thus running the risk of a bubble of air in the remaining space in the ink chamber. That happened with my 580-AL and suddenly I didn't have any ink flow (until while showing the pen to someone, we managed to work the bubble to the back of the space, and not next to the back of the feed....

I really like the B nib on the 580-AL; the 1.1 mm stub on the 580-ALR, OTOH, is weird -- the pen writes better upside down (at least with the ink I christened the pen with -- Diamine Shimmer Arabian Nights, which apparently is super wet). Also (and I didn't consider this when I bought it) -- the ribbed section is a PITA to wipe off after filling the pen: it's hard to get the ink out from all those little ridges.

I had considered getting myself one of the new Purple Ecos -- but besides having the same issue with the piston as the larger pens, I was less enamored of the color when I realized that the cap and piston cap are translucent, not a solid purple (the way the section and trim are on the 580-AL/580-ALR).

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

• 1 month later...

Months after my original posting, I must thank everyone once again, and confess that I enjoy my three Ecos (different nibs, different colors of ink) without a single hitch in nearly daily use. Perhaps I will try one upper-crust model based on what I’ve read here (I’ve tried plenty of other pens), if Moonman will ever stop making new and interesting pens at such great prices, and leave me with some pen money!

Happy holidays!

Brian