Who Makes The Nib For The Taccia Timeless?

JDiver

Taccia would only say that their nib was German. Pretty much narrows it down to JoWo or Bock. I know it is a #5 based on the shape. Can you visually tell from the nib, or maybe the feed/screw in housing?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JDiver

• Honeybadgers

• Bo Bo Olson

• sirgilbert357

First time I've heard of such pen. No help.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

Took a pic of the nib, feed, and housing. Any chance it can be visually identified?

Sajqtua.jpg

IkH2z2Q.jpg

Edited by JDiver

Whoa...Jowo has redesigned their feed! How interesting. I had nothing but problems with all my Jowo nibs, so I eventually sold them all off. If they have made these changes and the issues I experienced have been rectified, I might have to consider them in the future. Many Franklin-Christoph pens tempt me, but the Jowo nib has always prevented a purchase...

Edited by sirgilbert357

Could be a Schmidt - remembering their nibs are either JoWo or Bock made. I have a Taccia Covenant and that definitely has a JoWo manufactured Schmidt nib (can tell by shape, feed shape, and branding on the nib)

that nib is absolutely 100% built by JoWo. that's their scrollwork and laser etching to a tee.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Whoa...Jowo has redesigned their feed! How interesting. I had nothing but problems with all my Jowo nibs, so I eventually sold them all off. If they have made these changes and the issues I experienced have been rectified, I might have to consider them in the future. Many Franklin-Christoph pens tempt me, but the Jowo nib has always prevented a purchase...

You either have way too high an expectation for nibs or are incredibly unlucky. JoWo's considered to be one of the very best, most consistently high quality nib makers in the business. I've gotten one slightly scratchy stub from them, but of the two dozen or so others, all were perfect.

Also FC tunes their nibs. Just because JoWo stamped the steel doesn't automatically mean the nib is the same. Generally speaking, if nothing was modified in the scrollwork, it can be assumed to be a fairly standard JoWo, but if it got custom scrollwork, it was likely tuned either to spec or by the pen maker.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

You either have way too high an expectation for nibs or are incredibly unlucky. JoWo's considered to be one of the very best, most consistently high quality nib makers in the business. I've gotten one slightly scratchy stub from them, but of the two dozen or so others, all were perfect.

Also FC tunes their nibs. Just because JoWo stamped the steel doesn't automatically mean the nib is the same. Generally speaking, if nothing was modified in the scrollwork, it can be assumed to be a fairly standard JoWo, but if it got custom scrollwork, it was likely tuned either to spec or by the pen maker.

Interesting that you labeled me so fast without even knowing the history or background of the issue.

I've had a F-C that I asked them to tune to about a 7 on their wetness scale, along with another Mike Masuyama tuned nib for that same pen and both nibs had issues. On my TWSBI Mini, I had 4 nibs - M, B, 1.1, 1.5 - that all did the same thing: started out fine, some even WET and then flow tapered off to almost nothing over the course of two pages of writing.

Both of my pens did this, with all five nibs, regardless of ink. The Masuyama nib was better, but I sent it back within the return period, so I didn't get to test it as much. So call it 6 total. Each nib was in its own dedicated assembly with it's own feed, etc - I wasn't just swapping a Goulet nib in on these. One pen was a piston filler, one was a C/C, so I don't think filling system was a contributing factor looking back on it now. I can only assume that the feed wasn't letting air pass, thus creating ink starvation. I've written about this several times and Fountainbel (a user here on FPN) has too -- along with a nice drawing that shows the issue as the air bubble builds up. I could stop writing and tilt the pen nib up and give it a few taps or firm flicks with my finger and the ink flow would magically be restored, only to drop off slowly over the next page or two. Didn't matter what ink I used either.

I don't think consistent ink flow during long writing sessions is too high of an expectation, especially since all of my other pens write fine, whether they be C/C or piston filler based. I generally prefer piston fillers, but none of my current non-Jowo based C/C pens give me flow issues at all. At times, I will write up to 10-12 pages in a sitting, so I just expect my pen to be able to keep up. If you still feel my expectation is too high, we can agree to disagree, but if you just call me unlucky, that's fine too. I don't believe in "luck", but I know what happened and what I experienced for the better part of a year while I used those two pens...at some point you just stop using pens that don't perform and use the ones that do.

Interesting that you labeled me so fast without even knowing the history or background of the issue.

I've had a F-C that I asked them to tune to about a 7 on their wetness scale, along with another Mike Masuyama tuned nib for that same pen and both nibs had issues. On my TWSBI Mini, I had 4 nibs - M, B, 1.1, 1.5 - that all did the same thing: started out fine, some even WET and then flow tapered off to almost nothing over the course of two pages of writing.

Both of my pens did this, with all five nibs, regardless of ink. The Masuyama nib was better, but I sent it back within the return period, so I didn't get to test it as much. So call it 6 total. Each nib was in its own dedicated assembly with it's own feed, etc - I wasn't just swapping a Goulet nib in on these. One pen was a piston filler, one was a C/C, so I don't think filling system was a contributing factor looking back on it now. I can only assume that the feed wasn't letting air pass, thus creating ink starvation. I've written about this several times and Fountainbel (a user here on FPN) has too -- along with a nice drawing that shows the issue as the air bubble builds up. I could stop writing and tilt the pen nib up and give it a few taps or firm flicks with my finger and the ink flow would magically be restored, only to drop off slowly over the next page or two. Didn't matter what ink I used either.

I don't think consistent ink flow during long writing sessions is too high of an expectation, especially since all of my other pens write fine, whether they be C/C or piston filler based. I generally prefer piston fillers, but none of my current non-Jowo based C/C pens give me flow issues at all. At times, I will write up to 10-12 pages in a sitting, so I just expect my pen to be able to keep up. If you still feel my expectation is too high, we can agree to disagree, but if you just call me unlucky, that's fine too. I don't believe in "luck", but I know what happened and what I experienced for the better part of a year while I used those two pens...at some point you just stop using pens that don't perform and use the ones that do.

You are describing dud feeds. A nib should have nothing to do with flow beyond the initial wetness of the line itself, described by the width of the tine gap. If it starts wet and gets dry, you have a flow problem with a feed.

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick update. I used a #5 stub from Nemosine (pretty sure they use JoWo) and just swapped out the nibs. Works like a charm. Thanks for everyone's help.

Definitely Jowo styling.

You can see reference to Bock nibs on their site and see the basic styling is totally different.

https://www.peter-bock.com/products/nib-systems

Thanks for the link, I've added it to my signature with my other Bock info.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.