The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Gama Eyas Vs Asa Nauka

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2019 - 13:19

I'm looking at these two pens as they seem to be two mid-sized Indian ebonite pens (and by mid-sized I mean relative to some of the bigger Indian pens) sold at ASA pens at a similar price.

The ASA Nauka

-zeppelin shape might be comfortable

-threads at end of section (nice)

-however, convex section like on Lamy 2000 is not my favourite

Gama Eyas

-more traditional shape

-section is straighter and looks comfortable

-threads seem to be in the way, and if anything like my Gama Supreme, could be very sharp

Any thoughts? I don't know anything about the nibs, for one. Also, if others have a pen of similar size to suggest and available to Canada, I would appreciate. (We can forget about Ranga, as I have access to group-buys here)

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

Sponsored Content

#2 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2019 - 14:31

Hi I have a few naukas. As far as I can tell the section area is like the section of a cone. The diameter continuously increases upto and through the barrel and then it tapers down. So the gripping area will not feel convex like the lamy 2000. HTH.

If the threads sharpness bothered you on the supreme, the eyas might feel the same.

Edited by hari317, 19 April 2019 - 14:32.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#3 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2019 - 16:15

I might just get both to be honest :P

#4 prashant.tikekar

prashant.tikekar

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 641 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 April 2019 - 05:28

I assume that you are talking of nauka in ED filling system as it is similarly priced as Eyas. Added advantage of the Nauka would be a pretty longer feed which helps to minimize burping issues.

#5 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 21:11

Yes, all of these would be in eye dropper. I am actually thinking of getting the nauka, eyas and popular.

#6 Aditkamath26

Aditkamath26

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:39

I'm looking at these two pens as they seem to be two mid-sized Indian ebonite pens (and by mid-sized I mean relative to some of the bigger Indian pens) sold at ASA pens at a similar price.

The ASA Nauka

-zeppelin shape might be comfortable

-threads at end of section (nice)

-however, convex section like on Lamy 2000 is not my favourite

Gama Eyas

-more traditional shape

-section is straighter and looks comfortable

-threads seem to be in the way, and if anything like my Gama Supreme, could be very sharp

Any thoughts? I don't know anything about the nibs, for one. Also, if others have a pen of similar size to suggest and available to Canada, I would appreciate. (We can forget about Ranga, as I have access to group-buys here)

If you are prioritizing comfort above all, I would really recommend a Mist. It is by far the most comfortable ASA that I've laid my hands on. The Maya is a close second. I do own two Naukas and though they are wonderful pens, I wouldn't say they are the most comfortable. 

#7 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,845 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 20:19

I have two Gama Eyas, in one of them I swapped the nib with a different one from original. They both work well.
I also have a Nauka but the transparent resin version.
The lack of threads is quite an interesting plus.
I don't have the ebonite version but I am looking to get one in future, as I do prefer the feel of ebonite over resin.
The threads on the Eyas do not bother me but I would expect them to be similar to those on another pen from same maker.
The Asa Genius is another pen you may want to check out, threads are smooth.

#8 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 May 2019 - 22:32

I've looked again at the Asa website, a few moderate size (mid to large size) are available. At first I noticed the eyas and nauka but I think the nauka will be uncomfortable due to convex section.

On my list, there are gama eyas and popular. There is Asa genius as well. The Asa daily would be an option too but I do not really want a Schmidt nib.

Between the eyas and popular, the eyas looks slightly bigger but more boring looking. Also, the gama sections are relatively short and threads sharp.

The Asa genius looks like it has a nice section but I would prefer if the end of the barrel tapered a bit; it looks fat in the back.

#9 ARU2702

ARU2702

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 July 2019 - 22:33

I have Gama popular and Gama supreme. I love the supreme. The threads in popular is quite sharp. In supreme due to large nib, you don't have to grip farther back.

#10 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2019 - 00:42

I have Gama popular and Gama supreme. I love the supreme. The threads in popular is quite sharp. In supreme due to large nib, you don't have to grip farther back.

Thanks for this. I was thinking of getting the popular because the supreme is sometimes too large but this is a good caution.

#11 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• 2,049 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:40

You should know that ASA Pens is a one man operation and that Mr Subbu is currently recovering from eye surgery. Orders may take longer that usual to be fulfilled.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#12 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,845 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 July 2019 - 20:35

The Genius is actually quite a nice looking pen.

I hope this picture may help to show that in reality it does taper at the back.

It looks slightly fat because it's a tad short, nonetheless not a great deal shorter than the Eyas.

fpn_1562617538__p1150296-3_asa_genies.jp

#13 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:08

The Genius is actually quite a nice looking pen.
I hope this picture may help to show that in reality it does taper at the back.
It looks slightly fat because it's a tad short, nonetheless not a great deal shorter than the Eyas.

fpn_1562617538__p1150296-3_asa_genies.jp

It's a beauty of a pen. I do want one when Mr Subbu recovers. It looks very comfortable.

#14 mhguda

mhguda

Vulpenfanaat

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,844 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:33

It is. Having, through the years, bought a ton of pens from Asa, I find it difficult to say with certainty which one is my favorite, but the Genius comes close. (Also the Nauka, in its various incarnations). My Eyas is now in rotation and the Genius is not, but that can change at any time. Mine btw is glossy black ebonite.

a fountain pen is physics in action... Proud member of the SuperPinks

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#15 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Duit On Mon Dei

• Member - Gold

• 2,049 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 12:57

It's a beauty of a pen. I do want one when Mr Subbu recovers. It looks very comfortable.

Looks like a mini-Maya.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#16 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,845 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 July 2019 - 13:49

I confirm, besides looking good it also feels nice in the hand. Asa does not always have all finishes available at the same time, but I have seen some nice versions, in black, mottled green and various shades of mottled/rippled brown light to dark.

#17 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 September 2019 - 10:02

Do you remember what your finish was called sanseri? I am thinking of finally pulling the trigger, as I have been disappointed by the small size of some pens.

The genius is first on the list. I would likely try the ASA medium nib. I've never tried any Asa nib but the gama fine is a little too fine for me.

Now I might add a few other pens in the order already mentioned in this thread but we shall see.

#18 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,845 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 00:08

Hello Muddy

not 100% sure but if I recall this was indicated as mottled light brown

I would not be too concerned however, I saw some of the incarnations in other colours and they all look very good

had they been available I might have gone for a darker mottled brown

I've seen a reddish brown version looking very good too, reminds me of some vintage turtle colours

#19 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,845 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2019 - 17:39

sorry for continued derailing of the thread on the Asa Genius...

but regarding the nib on mine

I don't remember having an option to choose the nib, but here it is.

Looks like a Schmidt to me, but I may be wrong...
writes really well anyway

fpn_1567704873__p1150297-3_asa_genius_mo

#20 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 September 2019 - 00:13

No worries sanseri, I derailed the thread myself after I realized I was more interested in the genius. I ordered one this week and in the mean time have resumed using my Ranga model 5 eyedropper (extremely well crafted and leaving no burping at the section unlike the gama supreme).

Sponsored Content

|