Where To Find Quality Fountain Pen Friendly Paper?

steve50

Another Japanese import that is seen in many university bookstores: Kokuyo paper - comes in spiral bound notebooks and also filler paper. Much less expensive and fairly decent with fountain pens.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• steve50

• aurore

• welch

Another Japanese import that is seen in many university bookstores: Kokuyo paper - comes in spiral bound notebooks and also filler paper. Much less expensive and fairly decent with fountain pens.

In the US perhaps.

Add lightness and simplicate.

I’ve had good results (with fine & med nibs) on Silvine (red) notebooks & pads. I also like their Student Spiral A4 notebooks; spiral bound, narrow ruled, no margin, perforated, 4 hole punched. 12 notebooks, each 120 page (60 sheets), are usually around £20 delivered on Amazon.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Hi

I know the OP said he didn't like NU notebooks, but have you tried their NU Elite pads, they are my favourite pad for fountain pen use, super smooth paper with no bleed or feathering and thats using a nice jucey broad nib and Parker Quink. I bought a load a few years ago when Tesco and Wilco sold them and now on my last one.

Well worth a look

Paul

I know the OP said he didn't like NU notebooks, but have you tried their NU Elite pads, they are my favourite pad for fountain pen use, super smooth paper with no bleed or feathering and thats using a nice jucey broad nib and Parker Quink. I bought a load a few years ago when Tesco and Wilco sold them and now on my last one.

Are they still available?

Any Wilko pads/books worth trying?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Sadly no longer available from either Tesco or Wilko so will have to get my next batch direct from NÜ, were I see they have almost doubled in price over the five years since Tesco were selling them :( now £8.49 for and A5

I use the cream paper version but white is available.

http://nuco-direct.com/nu-elite-prestige-tan-pu-wiro-journal/

Paul

Am I correct that the postage to GB is 10.39 euro? In which case, an order of over a dozen pads would be quite reasonable.

https://www.office-profishop.com/suche.php

I believe so. However, while this paper is excellent I would hesitate calling it exceptional (though for me the quality is flawless and even without coating it works very well). I am not a big fan of coated papers, I like them but they are not what I consider high quality since their properties are mainly because of the coating. Whether or not it worths buying a bulk of Staufen without trying it first I am not quite sure, I believe there must be something locally available of a similar quality.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Sadly no longer available from either Tesco or Wilko so will have to get my next batch direct from NÜ, were I see they have almost doubled in price over the five years since Tesco were selling them :( now £8.49 for and A5

Paul

Thanks, Paul. NU does have a variety of papers and I read good reviews of some of them, but couldn't find them near me. Will have a look at ordering directly from them.

I believe so. However, while this paper is excellent I would hesitate calling it exceptional (though for me the quality is flawless and even without coating it works very well). I am not a big fan of coated papers, I like them but they are not what I consider high quality since their properties are mainly because of the coating. Whether or not it worths buying a bulk of Staufen without trying it first I am not quite sure, I believe there must be something locally available of a similar quality.

Can you compare Staufen to any other paper?

Which paper/s would you consider high quality?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Sadly no longer available from either Tesco or Wilko so will have to get my next batch direct from NÜ, were I see they have almost doubled in price over the five years since Tesco were selling them sad.png now £8.49 for and A5

Paul

Any other options considering the price increase?

Engineer :

Can you compare Staufen to any other paper?

Which paper/s would you consider high quality?

In fact no. I have come across quite a few good quality uncoated papers but all of them were more absorbent than Staufen.

Staufen is very smooth, white and fountain pen friendly (no bleeding, feathering or other misbehaviour) without being coated. And this is exactly what I consider high quality. The most popular paper today is probably Rhodia or Tomoe River - both excellent in their own way, both rather expensive and both peroforming well mainly because of the coating. Above all from my experience glass smooth nibs do not work well with a heavily coated paper.

Among widely available paper (despite coated, but not that heavily) Oxford 50 sheets notepads are my favourite (plain have a blue cover, lined/squared come with a black cover). Very cheap, very well performing.

SBREBrown is reviewing one here:

On the Continent one can get it (with a bit of luck) for 80 pence, which can be hardly beat. I would not say Rhodia is any better.

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

Among widely available paper (despite coated, but not that heavily) Oxford 50 sheets notepads are my favourite (plain have a blue cover, lined/squared come with a black cover). Very cheap, very well performing.

On the Continent one can get it (with a bit of luck) for 80 pence, which can be hardly beat. I would not say Rhodia is any better.

I have used Oxford and they are fine (90gsm Optik paper) but I have never seen them that cheap.

Do you have a link/s?

Engineer :

• 1 month later...

I used Black n' Red squared A4 notebooks until Staples US stopped importing them. Incidentally, I did notice that they are marketed as Oxford B&R, and, gulp, was about to suggest them. Yes, ten or twelve years ago the Oxford Black n' Red paper was just fine for fountain pens.

Just now, Staples US offers a Staples-brand "Tru Red" notebooks, which seem much like Blackwing flexible notebooks. The paper in both is made in Turkey. Unfortunately, Staples UK does not have them, even though the notebooks are A4 -- an odd size for a notebook in the US. Given the size, maybe Staples UK will have them soon?

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

Just now, Staples US offers a Staples-brand "Tru Red" notebooks, which seem much like Blackwing flexible notebooks. The paper in both is made in Turkey. Unfortunately, Staples UK does not have them, even though the notebooks are A4 -- an odd size for a notebook in the US. Given the size, maybe Staples UK will have them soon?

Thank you. Nothing of the sort listed on their site, yet.

Interesting, will keep a lookout.

Have you managed to use the notebook?

Engineer :

I've bought Muji notebooks online from their own store for a reasonable price (£3 shipping I think UK delivery).

Thank you. Nothing of the sort listed on their site, yet.

Interesting, will keep a lookout.

Have you managed to use the notebook?

I've written a few test-scribbles, but I'm finishing a Levenger Notabilia. The test was fine. The Tru Red looks and fells, with fountain pen, just like Blackwing notebooks. The Blackwing is a first-rate notebook, but sells for $20 or more...plus shipping. The Tru Red is about $15, and I can walk into Staples and carry it home.

I checked Staples UK for "bagasse" or "sugar cane" "eco-friendly" paper that Staples, here, offered about ten years ago. It is cheap stuff and, maybe accidentally, very good for fountain pens. There are probably discussions on FPN. Staples US seems to offer it on-line, but not Staples UK.

Good luck!

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

• 4 weeks later...

I like Silvine Exercise books. They are cheaper than Rhodia and just as good. They are FP friendly, even the cheap 80p Silvine school exercise books have no bleed through.

Inked: Sailor King Pro Gear, Sailor Nagasawa Proske, Sailor 1911 Standard, Parker Sonnet Chiselled Carbon, Parker 51, Pilot Custom Heritage 92, Platinum Preppy

If you are near a Muji store they sell FP friendly notebooks.

Be careful not all of their range is FP friendly but a number of them are and the prices are very reasonable.

I've also had good results with a Flying Tiger notebook - It's A5 black soft cover, cream lined pages and the edges of the notebook are printed in multiple colours; I recently bought three for £9.00 and my experience has been that they are FP friendly (tested with Diamine Oxford Blue).

If you want Tomoe River paper Amazon carries GLP's The Author notebook, review here from a friend of mine: https://theindianmarmaladecompany.com/2018/08/04/the-author-notebook-by-glp-creations/

Also Dingbats, excellent notebooks - great paper and build quality, review here: https://theindianmarmaladecompany.com/2018/11/07/the-elephant-the-tiger-and-the-kangaroo-a-dingbats-notebook-safari/

Hope this helps

Al

Edited by almoore

• 3 weeks later...

I've had about six weeks of using the Staples Tru-Red, and it will not stand up to fountain pens. While it looks like a Blackwing notebook, and, like the Blackwing, uses paper from Turkey, the paper blots, shows through, and feathers. Tried Iroshizuku Asa-Gao, Diamine Sapphire Blue, and two or three Monteverdi inks, but all wanted to leave splotches of ink on the back of each sheet.