Where To Find Quality Fountain Pen Friendly Paper?

steve50

There are only three kinds of paper available at my local stationery shop here in Sheffield. There's Oxford optik paper, 'NU:' notebooks, and cheap recycled paper. None of them are exactly ideal, but the optik paper was alright. But it was way too sleek for me. They feel a lot like Rhodia/Clairefontaine, which I don't like at all. I ran out of the optik notebook so I tried the 'NU:' notebook and it was horrible. Glad I bought the smallest size.

My favourite paper is the highest quality notebook from MUJI. This notebook specifically says on the cover (in Japanese) that it's intended for fountain pens. Sadly it doesn't seem available in the UK. I also have a diary I received as a gift from a brand called 'Sigel'. This one says they use 'wood-free paper'. Looked it up what that was - it doesn't actually mean no wood was used in its production. Anyhow it's quite fountain pen friendly. But I don't know if they make notebooks.

Today I rummaged through the house and found an almost unused Oxford notebook, also in optik paper, but this one seems very different from the other optik I have. It's more absorbent and pleasant to use - perhaps it's an old version?

Sorry for rambling on. My question is where do you find fountain pen friendly but affordable notebooks in the UK? Is my 'old version' optik paper still available?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• steve50

• aurore

• welch

I’m a fan of Tomoe River paper. Not cheap, but lovely to write on. Comes in 52gm and 68gm weights and there’s now a reasonable choice of suppliers in the UK. Amazon have some and I’ve seen them at Cult Pens. Taroko Designs do a range in the heavier weight. I’ve bought some from Etsy suppliers and, if you don’t mind getting from the US, Namiki do lovely notebooks.

Hope that helps

I just purchased a couple of very nice Tomoe River notebooks (A5) from Nanami Papers located in California. This is the lighter 52 gm weight, which I prefer.

For the amount of paper in the notebook it is a better value than others.

I have tried many different kinds of paper as most other fountain pen owners have done. My favorites are:

Tomoe River - this very smooth paper is wonderful to write on and showcases the beauty of the ink you are writing on. This is my personal favorite. As ImThatGuy has said it is available online in two weights - 52 gm and 68gm. Here in the US, Nanami Papers and paperforfountainpens.com sells notebooks made from 52gm. Taroko Design sells notebooks with 68 gm paper.

Midori MD - this is my next favorite. It is another Japanese made paper, but is heavier and is less smooth with a tiny bit of "tooth" to it than Tomoe River. There is little show through with darker inks. Midori MD paper seems to be more available than Tomoe River.

Clairfontaine/Rhodia - many fountain pen users love this paper. It is a smooth, heavier paper with little show through. While it is smooth and it showcases the beauty of your ink well, I personally don't care for it. I have purchased several different notebooks/pads over the years and each time I find that my nib is smooth and ink flows well as it moves across the paper but with a "thick" feeling - it seems to take more effort to move across the page. It is a feeling that it difficult to describe. For me it is not an optimal kind of paper. But many people like this paper and it is fairly easily obtainable, and may be so more for you since it is manufactured in France.

There are lots of other brands of paper that are compatible with fountain pens, but they may or may not be optimal. Some copy papers, including some of the higher grade HP copy paper, are excellent for use with fountain pens. Right now I am using Xerox copy paper in my laser printer and it has a tendancy to feather and spread more than I care for.

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thanks for the replies. I know about these brands, but I was wondering if there're cheap-ish notebooks you can buy from stationery shops here that are generally FP friendly. I asked the same question in the paper forum and someone suggested Pukka pads. These are universally available here and I tried one just now and they're actually not too bad. Perhaps there's more stuff like Pukka pads?

I pretty much like Oxford 50 sheets notepads, they are my favourite from the brand.

I also like Staufen notepads (made in Germany), the paper is uncoated and high quality but difficult to get in the U.K...

Seeking a Parker Duofold Centennial cap top medallion/cover/decal.
My Mosaic Black Centennial MK2 lost it (used to have silver color decal).

Preferably MK2. MK3 or MK1 is also OK as long as it fits.  
Preferably EU.

I've had one of those colourful Pukka notebooks (the neon covers) and the paper was awful.

Once I was unlucky with Oxford paper even. But generally Oxford has performed very well.

When Lidl and Aldi have office products in, I suggest trying the paper.

The spiral bound notebooks have been great so far.

I have had some joy with Asda own brand notebooks although that was about 2 years ago now (a moleskin homage in A5), but they might be worth a look as might Tesco (who also sell decent black n red notebooks).

I also like Staufen notepads (made in Germany), the paper is uncoated and high quality but difficult to get in the U.K...

Are you referring to these,

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01JLVBB8S/ref=twister_B078MSSCRB?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I also have a diary I received as a gift from a brand called 'Sigel'. This one says they use 'wood-free paper'. Looked it up what that was - it doesn't actually mean no wood was used in its production. Anyhow it's quite fountain pen friendly. But I don't know if they make notebooks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sigel-CO212-CONCEPTUM-Notebook-softcover/dp/B002K8VB76

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Oh, yes. I just wish the price was not double/triple of what it costs on the Continent, I believe it is too much. Edited by aurore

Preferably EU.

Oh, yes. I just wish the price was not double/triple of what it costs on the Continent, I believe it is too much.

Importing is easy. Do you have any online stores offering it?

OTOH, for the UK buyer pricing would seem similar to Rhodia and easier to order through Amazon.

Engineer :

Importing is easy. Do you have any online stores offering it?

OTOH, for the UK buyer pricing would seem similar to Rhodia and easier to order through Amazon.

I buy them locally without shipping involved.

They are much cheaper in Germany and nearby countries than in the U.K. unfortunately but postage would kill it anyway. https://www.office-profishop.com/suche.php?produkt=34674

Anyway, buying Staufen, make sure it is this nice 90g premium paper above not a cheaper recycled 80g version https://www.amazon.de/Staufen-4006050047831-Collegeblock-Recyclingpapier-Doppelrand/dp/B01JLVBZBG

Preferably EU.

The OP seems to have started two similar threads. headsmack.gif

P.S Could the Mods kindly merge them.

Engineer :

I buy them locally without shipping involved.

They are much cheaper in Germany and nearby countries than in the U.K. unfortunately but postage would kill it anyway. https://www.office-profishop.com/suche.php?produkt=34674

Am I correct that the postage to GB is 10.39 euro? In which case, an order of over a dozen pads would be quite reasonable.

https://www.office-profishop.com/suche.php

Edited by 1nkulus

Engineer :

I've had one of those colourful Pukka notebooks (the neon covers) and the paper was awful.

Yeh actually I think you're right. The Pukka pads aren't that good, I realised after using it for a bit.

The OP seems to have started two similar threads. headsmack.gif

P.S Could the Mods kindly merge them.

Yeh that's also my thread - Apologies if that's against the rules.

Yeh that's also my thread - Apologies if that's against the rules.

It is odd to have two threads addressing the same issue by the same member.

Just ask the mods to merge them. thumbup.gif

Engineer :

Thanks for the link!

thumbup.gif

Engineer :