The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Maruman M.memo Dmp-A7 Grid Notepad

maruman a7 60gsm grid paper

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 17:12

The m.memo DMP-A7 notepad produce by Maruman has (almost) the same dimensions as the Bloc Rhodia No.11 notepad and shares the same design, including the single staple binding in portrait orientation, the fold-back front cover, and perforated pages.

fpn_1555604246__maruman_mmemo_dmp-a7_not

Maruman m.memo DMP-A7 versus Bloc Rhodia No.11
m.memo DMP-A7Bloc Rhodia No.11
Country of manufactureJapanFrance
Paper weight60 g/m280 g/m2
Number of sheets10080
Page sizeactually A7 (7.4cm x 10.5cm)nominally A7 (7.4cm x 10.5cm);
actually 7.3cm x 10.3cm
Page ruling5mm dot grid on recto side only7mm ruled on both sides

The lovely, subdued blue cover on the DMP-A7 is less glossy than the orange cover on the Rhodia, but it is nevertheless coated. I haven't tested whether one is more resistant to moisture, dirt and scratches than the other.

The gridlines on the ever-so-slightly-off white pages in the DMP-A7 are a very faint grey, significantly lighter in colour than the blue-grey lines on the Rhodia paper. I see that as an advantage, especially when it comes to full 'graph paper' grids. Also, the verso (i.e. reverse) side of the paper is blank without any printed lines, which suits me just fine.

The paper itself is very smooth and fountain pen friendly. I have not yet seen any of my inks feather or bleed-through on it, even when writing on the verso side, in spite of the paper being only 60 g/m2 paper and 25% lighter than the Rhodia paper. It is coated and smooth, and conducive to laying down crisp lines with an Extra Fine and/or Italic nib. The coating seems to be rather better than that in the Bloc Rhodia, and I have observed sheen readily on the m.memo paper from a number of different inks.

fpn_1555606692__maruman_mmemo_a7_paper_-

Being so lightweight, some ghosting is inevitable, although all things considered the paper does a marvellous job of resisting ghosting, which mostly only shows when the sheet is laid down against a bright white background, under a light source strong enough to penetrate the Maruman paper and reflect off the backing sheet or surface beneath it.

fpn_1555606752__maruman_mmemo_a7_paper_-

fpn_1555607202__maruman_mmemo_a7_paper_-

Other than the impractical size of the tiny notepad itself, I'm very happy with its performance, and I must say it's a superior product to the Bloc Rhodia No.11 notepad. It is also significantly cheaper per notepad and per page at their respective regular prices (here, at least).
Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

Don't think 'cos I understand, I care
Don't think 'cos I'm talking, we're friends

—'6 Underground' by Sneaker Pimps

Sponsored Content

#2 Caeruleum

Caeruleum

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 July 2019 - 17:21

Thank you very much for this detailed review, comparison and great pictures!

#3 inkypete

inkypete

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 09:33

Nice review, thanks. Maruman has been a bit disappointing for me in the past - inconsistent. But it has been a few years so probably worth a try again. Did you buy yours at Kinokinuya?

Posted Image

#4 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 14:37

I bought mine at Daiso, and I've seen them in all three Daiso stores within walking distance from me.

Let's give each other due respect, and approach discussion rigorously. We're all peers and equals here as fellow hobbyists, with common interests in the acquisition and use of fountain pens, but not necessarily any shared values, and no obligation to offer each other moral support for one's narrative or position.

#5 XYZZY

XYZZY

Extremely Rare

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 July 2019 - 18:34

three Daiso stores within walking distance from me.

:yikes:

I consider myself lucky to have one within short driving distance.  But it's small and rarely (never?) has the stationery that folks here buy at theirs.  However, I just checked and discovered that there are 5 others in the Seattle area that would not be horrible drives.  Maybe one weekend soon I'll do a "Daiso crawl" and check them all out :P

#6 inkypete

inkypete

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:32

I bought mine at Daiso, and I've seen them in all three Daiso stores within walking distance from me.

Will check them out on the weekend, thanks. Did you notice if they have it in any other size? 

Edited by inkypete, 18 July 2019 - 04:32.

Posted Image

#7 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 July 2019 - 04:35

Will check them out on the weekend, thanks. Did you notice if they have it in any other size? 

Yes. If I recall correctly, the other Maruman m.memo product in Daiso is spiral bound on the long edge in portrait orientation, have a large page surface but fewer pages in the notebook.

#8 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 14:02

This is the other Maruman m.memo product at Daiso: http://www.e-maruman...product_id=2639 (in blue only)

#9 inkypete

inkypete

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 22:12

This is the other Maruman m.memo product at Daiso: http://www.e-maruman...product_id=2639 (in blue only)Daiso over the weekend but neither had the notebook reviewed. Did get a few of the spiral version you have linked here and they are excellent. Also bought a few 120x80 red cover note blocks that look like Apica. They have a red cover and MEMO PAD on front. 100 sheet, ivory paper, grid. Superb. I am not a fan of ivory paper but this is particularly nice. Thanks for the tip.

Not sure what has happened here - will repost.

Edited by inkypete, 21 July 2019 - 22:15.

Posted Image

#10 inkypete

inkypete

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 July 2019 - 22:16

This is the other Maruman m.memo product at Daiso: http://www.e-maruman...product_id=2639 (in blue only)

Went to two Daiso over the weekend but neither had the notebook reviewed. Did get a few of the spiral version you have linked here and they are excellent. Also bought a few 120x80 red cover note blocks that look like Apica. They have a red cover and MEMO PAD on front. 100 sheet, ivory paper, grid. Superb. I am not a fan of ivory paper but this is particularly nice. Thanks for the tip.

Posted Image

#11 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• 2,958 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 July 2019 - 03:48

Also bought a few 120x80 red cover note blocks that look like Apica. They have a red cover and MEMO PAD on front. 100 sheet, ivory paper, grid.

I presume you're talking about the dot-gridded sibling of this:
http://www.fountainp...ruled-memo-pad/

#12 inkypete

inkypete

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 23 July 2019 - 11:39

I presume you're talking about the dot-gridded sibling of this:
http://www.fountainp...ruled-memo-pad/

Hmmmm - I think so. But must say the paper in mine behaves beautifully. I like it a lot. I am still looking for the m.memo and will grab some if I find them. Frustrating sometimes what is available at one Daiso is not available at the next.

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: maruman, a7, 60gsm, grid paper

Sponsored Content

|