The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Finally Got An Eco..

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 00:45

Arrived the other day. I got the stub. Its a bit bigger than Id imagined it - which is a good thing. It has just the right size, in my opinion. Using Noodlers Blue-Black and with this ink it seems to be a fairly juicy writer, the stub helping to bring out the inks shading properties.

It resides in a pen cup along with other pens..is and will be gently treated. I am hoping that no cracks happen, because Id like to get more TWSBI pens. Id held off because of the cracking issue, but enough people said that the issue had been dealt with that I decided to give it a try.

It seems like an excellent writer in all dimensions, with the potential of being a go-to pen..everyday..
Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

Sponsored Content

#2 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 00:46

Writing sampler,please  :happyberet:

#3 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 957 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:11

My apologies for neglecting that aspect of got a new pen posting! Here you are:

Attached Images

• TWSBI stub writing sample.JPG

Edited by NewPenMan, 18 April 2019 - 01:12.

Franklin-Christoph Stabilis 66 and Pocket 40: both with Matsuyama CI | Karas Kustoms Aluminum, Daniel Smith CI | Italix Parson's Essential and Freshman's Notator | Pilot Prera | Pilot Metropolitan | Lamy Safari, 1.1mm italic | Muji "Round Aluminum Pen" | Waterman Phileas | Noodler's Konrad | Nemosine Singularity 0.6mm stub | ASA Nauka, acrylic and ebonite | Gama Hawk | Wality Airmail | Noodlers Ahab | TWSBI GO | Noodlers Charlie | Pilot Plumix |

#4 penzel_washinkton

penzel_washinkton

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 980 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2019 - 23:26

Is it my eyes or it is feathering badly in that setup?

#5 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 957 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 14:11

it’s neither..more a case of spotty reception of ink by that paper

#6 amper

amper

Sorcière Itinerant

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2019 - 21:24

Arrived the other day. I got the stub. Its a bit bigger than Id imagined it - which is a good thing. It has just the right size, in my opinion. Using Noodlers Blue-Black and with this ink it seems to be a fairly juicy writer, the stub helping to bring out the inks shading properties.

It resides in a pen cup along with other pens..is and will be gently treated. I am hoping that no cracks happen, because Id like to get more TWSBI pens. Id held off because of the cracking issue, but enough people said that the issue had been dealt with that I decided to give it a try.

It seems like an excellent writer in all dimensions, with the potential of being a go-to pen..everyday..

I now own four TWSBI Ecos, in ages from a few weeks to 18 months, and have never seen a crack. They have become the only fountain pens I use. All my expensive pens are now gathering dust. I will definitely be buying more.

Paige Paigen
Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer
Paige Paigen
Custom Personal Organiser Products

#7 Enkida

Enkida

Full Cyborg

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:27

I just got a TWSBI Eco with an F nib as a gift, and I instantly fell in love.  I'm forcing myself not to buy any more because I have enough pens (really... famous last words), but my husband also spotted and tested the pen and within 24 hours got himself one as well.

These pens are really excellent writers, and the size was, at least for me, unexpectedly large and also comfortable.  I really like them. :)

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

#8 uceroy

uceroy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2019 - 13:50

Enjoy your new eco! I've fell head over heels for the transparent ones.. I have the clear, red, blue and green one and am waiting for my orange one to arrive

You might enjoy this interesting read:

http://daverea.com/2...eco-wont-break/

Edited by uceroy, 09 May 2019 - 13:50.

#9 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 957 posts

Posted 09 May 2019 - 14:46

Enjoy your new eco! I've fell head over heels for the transparent ones.. I have the clear, red, blue and green one and am waiting for my orange one to arrive

You might enjoy this interesting read:

http://daverea.com/2...eco-wont-break/

thanks for that link. good to know that stresses have been addressed in the eco, but the takeaway for me is that all injection-molded demonstrators are living on borrowed time..some crack, some don’t, seemingly independent from how they’re handled..or am I misinterpreting the gist of the article?

#10 uceroy

uceroy

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 May 2019 - 14:14

thanks for that link. good to know that stresses have been addressed in the eco, but the takeaway for me is that all injection-molded demonstrators are living on borrowed time..some crack, some dont, seemingly independent from how theyre handled..or am I misinterpreting the gist of the article?

No I think you're spot on. Apart from that, plastics age as well, making them more brittle over time. These pens won't live forever, but at least the design improved, stress wise, from the other models.

#11 flyingpenman

flyingpenman

We see in a mirror dimly...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 May 2019 - 00:09

The Eco was my second pen and favorite for a long time. I sold it to buy a Vac Mini. Huge mistake. The Mini cracked and leaked and I sold it after replacing the cracked section (TWSBI *does* have fantastic customer service). My Eco also never leaked, burped, hard started, or stained and had a great nib.

I miss my Eco.
Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.
~C.S. Lewis
--------------
Current Rotation:
Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>
Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>

#12 Misfit

Misfit

Goddess of Inanimate Objects

• Member - Gold

• 2,071 posts

Posted 02 September 2019 - 06:05

I find myself wanting a white Eco. I have the black version plus a Japan-only Orange, and a transparent red blossom. But the white version is calling me. You need me!

I figure if I can get a few more rewards dollars on my amazon credit card, then maybe the white Eco can join the others.
Posted Image

#13 Misfit

Misfit

• Member - Gold

• 2,071 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:44

Cracking might be a material issue, but also perhaps over tightening the cap and plunger end. When I was considering my first TWSBI purchase, I contacted a blogger who owned the version I was interested in. Her take was the over tightening.

So far, none of my TWSBI pens has cracks. I have one Diamond 580, and two Ecos in use, with one waiting until I clean more pens.
Posted Image

#14 NewPenMan

NewPenMan

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 957 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 13:08

Tightening / over tightening will increase the stress on the material. Assuming that there are individuals who tighten the daylights out of their pen caps, we can expect an equal distribution of overzealous pen cap tighteners across the entire fountain pen world, and a corresponding number of reports of pen cracking across all brands of fountain pens.

What we actually see are many reports of one brand in particular which cracks even while resting in the pen cup.

Manufacturer of said brand is known to have done things to try to remedy the problem of their pens cracking inexplicably. Its clearly a materials and engineering problem. There will continue to be those lucky TWSBI owners whose TWSBI pens never crack, despite being thrown into a bag every day, but the predominance of TWSBI pens crack all on their own under internal material pressures in the type of plastic used and from the design and manufacturing methods employed.

I personally would be willing to pay FC-level prices for a Diamond 580 if TWSBI made that pen the way FC makes theirs: milled from far more resilient, optical-grade acrylic.

But TWSBI have settled on a niche for their pens, and will continue what they do in the way that they do it as long as people find their pens appealing...which people continue to do.

Edited by NewPenMan, 04 September 2019 - 13:09.

#15 Misfit

Misfit

• Member - Gold

• 2,071 posts

Posted 11 September 2019 - 06:47

White Eco must wait. I spent 2/3 of my meager rewards dollars on a roll of Washi tape.
Posted Image

#16 amper

amper

Sorcière Itinerant

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2019 - 19:24

Now I'm up to five ECOs. I recently picked up the Coral ECO-T to complement my Pink ECO.

Paige Paigen
Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer
Paige Paigen
Custom Personal Organiser Products

#17 Misfit

Misfit

• Member - Gold

• 2,071 posts

Posted 12 September 2019 - 06:05

I almost caved and bought a White Eco because of stress. I figured I deserve this for what I am living through. But I have managed to hold off. I don’t know if it will be for long. I already know what ink I would put in it first.

I cleaned my black Eco and thought it was all clear. But I see a bit of color, just a bit. Is that normal? First time I have cleaned a TWSBI Eco.
Posted Image

#18 Misfit

Misfit

• Member - Gold

• 2,071 posts

Posted 10 November 2019 - 03:11

I have a white Eco! My amazon rewards dollars were at $12.48. I got a message from Sprint that I had earned $5 at Amazon for the one-year anniversary of having Sprint as my mobile carrier.

That gave $17.48 to apply on the $31.99 amazon price. I paid $14.51 for the Eco that was fulfilled by TWSBI. I flushed it, and it is now drying.
Posted Image

Sponsored Content

|