Montblanc - Charlie Chaplin Fountain Pen

mosh_2k7

Hi :)

One of my all time favourite Montblanc fountain pen is the Charlie Chaplin :) I would like to own one, sometime in the near future :) Just curious how much one these would set me back! I had an opportunity to bid on one, a few years ago at a UK auction house, but it just wasnt the right time for me to purchase a pen of this value. The pen ended up selling for £15,000 excluding buyers premium (28.8% VAT included). Bring the total price to £19,320. Only a single bid was made on the pen. This is the only other Skeleton pen thats on my grail list, after the 75th Anniversary Skeleton pen!

I know a few member on this forum have this magnificent fountain pen :) I hope to add one to my collection one day as well!

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mosh_2k7

• meiers

• Amit.

• MontblancGeek

I think its market value is whatever people are willing and able to pay for it. This writing instrument is definitely out of my reach. In any event, the Chaplin is a beautiful and cleverly designed pen. Thank you for reminding me of its existence.

Edited by meiers

Please, dont bid! Youre free to do as you please and I understand it can be very tempting but somehow it just feels wrong to me. For starters I think the auction site is not the most reputable one (reviews online), the seller has some very interesting pens and hes asking below market value for them. Some things I see wrong with this scenario:

- He will deliver the pen in person even before knowing the location of the winner and how much is that trip going to cost? Imagine half way across the world?

- Not a big fan of ´What you see is what you get´ statements.

- If so, hes not showing the actual serial of the pen, just mentioning it. Nor I see the warranty and/or white outer box.

- He says its mint and in excellent condition. Thats a pen that you do not post because it scratches easily if you do so. He also does not specify if its been used, dipped or inked.

- The Chaplin Edition is from 2007, not 1990-1999 period.

The last Chaplin I know that sold at a trusted auction house (PBA last July) went for 45K. I have never heard of one going below 30K (and that was back in 2012 I think). I dont know what your budget may be, but if it were me I would rather make and extra effort and get it from a trustworthy dealer. Just my 2 cents and sorry if I ranted a bit.

Edited by MontblancLover

Agree with you 100%

Please, dont bid! Youre free to do as you please and I understand it can be very tempting but somehow it just feels wrong to me. For starters I think the auction site is not the most reputable one (reviews online), the seller has some very interesting pens and hes asking below market value for them. Some things I see wrong with this scenario:

- He will deliver the pen in person even before knowing the location of the winner and how much is that trip going to cost? Imagine half way across the world?
- If so, hes not showing the actual serial of the pen, just mentioning it. Nor I see the warranty and/or white outer box.
- He says its mint and in excellent condition. Thats a pen that you do not post because it scratches easily if you do so. He also does not specify if its been used, dipped or inked.

The last Chaplin I know that sold at a trusted auction house (PBA last July) went for 45K. I have never heard of one going below 30K (and that was back in 2012 I think). I dont know what your budget may be, but if it were me I would rather make and extra effort and get it from a trustworthy dealer. Just my 2 cents and sorry if I ranted a bit.

Thanks for your advice! In the end i decided not to place a bid on the pen! The auction ended on 20,000 with the reserve not met! Im going to wait until one appears for sale by a reputable dealer :)

Ive done a bit of digging around, and found the following information:

11th June 2012 - $41,250 SOLD

11th June 2013 - $37,500 SOLD

26th March 2014 - $19,500 SOLD

16th June 2015 - $31,250 SOLD

14th December 2015 - $29,000 to $39,000 UNSOLD

6th December 2016 - $28,000 to $36,000 UNSOLD

12th June 2017 - $25,000 to $30,000 UNSOLD

18th October 2017 - $18,750 SOLD

4th December 2017 - $24,000 to $28,000 UNSOLD

The sold prices seem to vary alot. This is probably one of the nicest skeleton pens that Montblanc has ever made :)

Regards

Mohsin

xndl0iO.png

a0eCai5.png

t7oq8YE.png

Gn7XyrW.png

vAazLBo.png

IPiaENz.png

s7GkXBN.png

Ajc9dU8.png

01xSmQy.png

xnXhGco.png