The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Camlin Royal Blue Ink Issue

camlin royal blue

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 mohit agrawal

mohit agrawal

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:15

Yesterday i purchased a new camlin royal blue ink from local shop. After filling it up it felt completely different. I used this ink after a long time and i don't have old bottle for comparison but i can say that color has darken from before.

My main issue with it is now it feels completely flat to write with. As of writing with a roller ball ink.

Is it a bad batch, or result of change of formula?

Sponsored Content

#2 AnuragTukan

AnuragTukan

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 22:17

I do agree. I have a bottle of camlin blue from 2012,and another very recent, packaged in 2018. The new bottle is significantly darker and more saturated. The bottle is plastic instead of glass. And yes, it's very dark and has no shading. Very flat, and uniform, and boring. I do believe they've changed the formula.

I can add photos comparing the samples if requested.

Anurag

#3 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:40

I can add photos comparing the samples if requested.

Anurag

pls do.
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#4 mohit agrawal

mohit agrawal

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:19

Mine is a glass bottle from August 2017.

#5 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:21

I believe the ink was reformulated atleast once after Kokuyo took over. There were some threads on this topic. At that time the comment was that the ink hue had changed.

Are you guys discussing about a possible second reformulation post Kokuyo take over?

I have not used Camlin ink in several years now but if it has become darker I would like to try it, so pls do post samples.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#6 AnuragTukan

AnuragTukan

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:23

Here's a comparison between the two bottles I have. One is from 2012 and the other from 2018.

IMG_20190418_144741.jpg IMG_20190418_144722.jpg IMG_20190418_144630.jpg

Hope these help.

Anurag.

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:53

Thanks! I liked the new one better and both are post Kokuyo only.

#8 AnuragTukan

AnuragTukan

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:39

Thanks! I liked the new one better and both are post Kokuyo only.

Yeah I like the new one too.
They must've changed the formula again under kokuyo's reign. But surely there has been some change.

Edited by AnuragTukan, 18 April 2019 - 12:39.

#9 kSingh

kSingh

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:42

Here's a comparison between the two bottles I have. One is from 2012 and the other from 2018.

Hope these help.

Anurag.

Thanks for sharing this. I actually prefer the darker color one, so will definitely try out the new camlin ink now. The old camlin ink seemed a little too light for my taste.

#10 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 17:19

If anyone has Bril blue and a new bottle of camel blue, can they post a comparison picture? Thanks.

#11 arellano81366

arellano81366

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:52

Hello, this ink looks very affordable. I assume that you all have used with fountain pens with no issues???

Javier

#12 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 April 2019 - 02:58

Hello, this ink looks very affordable. I assume that you all have used with fountain pens with no issues???

This is indeed fountain pen ink.
I have used this ink for decades with no issues.
Bril is another inexpensive but superb blue ink.
Both camlin and bril are washable. And they tend to fade slightly on cheap paper which uses bleach to make the paper brighter. So personally I have switched to quink permanent blue ( French) at 23 times the cost of the camlin.

#13 vineetkgiri

vineetkgiri

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2019 - 12:45

I encountered scratchiness in my pilot metropolitan when I used this new camlin ink. It worked fine with Schmidt nib and Jinhoa nib. The ink seem to have lubrication issue. Also pen are prone to skipping with this new ink.

Edited by vineetkgiri, 30 April 2019 - 12:47.

#14 mohit agrawal

mohit agrawal

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 April 2019 - 17:22

My Schmidt converter got tainted due to this ink. :-(

Attached Images

• IMG-20190430-WA0029.jpg

#15 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 03:09

My Schmidt converter got tainted due to this ink. :-(

too bad. Your bottle was the glass one post kokuyo no?

Does the new plastic bottle ink stain?

#16 mohit agrawal

mohit agrawal

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 May 2019 - 12:30

Yeah, glass bottle post kokuyo from august 2017.

#17 Aditkamath26

Aditkamath26

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 May 2019 - 11:33

Yesterday i purchased a new camlin royal blue ink from local shop. After filling it up it felt completely different. I used this ink after a long time and i don't have old bottle for comparison but i can say that color has darken from before.

My main issue with it is now it feels completely flat to write with. As of writing with a roller ball ink.

Is it a bad batch, or result of change of formula?

The recent Camlin Blue inks have been almost equivalent to garbage for me. They are very light, watered down, dry, and has no character. It is definitely a change of formula, if I'm not wrong, because I've bought around 3 bottles each with different mnfg. dates and they all seem to be the same- garbage.

I miss the old ones....

#18 Dip n Scratch

Dip n Scratch

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 June 2019 - 22:29

I had a bottle of this in the past & I wasn't impressed with it. It just wasn't as saturated as I had hoped it would be. This was on a Rhodia pad, (Clairefontaine paper). As a washable Ink I think it couldn't be saturated 'BLUE' and come out of clothes and flesh reasonably well. It fades quite badly & Quink Permanent Blue will fare equally badly. Current Quink was approx 50% higher in price when I looked. Herbin was slightly higher in price than the Quink, but for 30ml, not 60.

Give it a fair trial in your pens & with your usual paper. If you don't like it, then you won't be buying it again.

#19 Ramchandra

Ramchandra

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2019 - 15:35

If anyone has Bril blue and a new bottle of camel blue, can they post a comparison picture? Thanks.

A quick pic here

IMG_20190910_205349(S).jpg

#20 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• 14,699 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2019 - 15:36

Thank you Ramachandra.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: camlin royal blue

Sponsored Content

|