Camlin Royal Blue Ink Issue

mohit agrawal

Yesterday i purchased a new camlin royal blue ink from local shop. After filling it up it felt completely different. I used this ink after a long time and i don't have old bottle for comparison but i can say that color has darken from before.

My main issue with it is now it feels completely flat to write with. As of writing with a roller ball ink.

Is it a bad batch, or result of change of formula?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hari317

• mohit agrawal

• AnuragTukan

• K Singh

I do agree. I have a bottle of camlin blue from 2012,and another very recent, packaged in 2018. The new bottle is significantly darker and more saturated. The bottle is plastic instead of glass. And yes, it's very dark and has no shading. Very flat, and uniform, and boring. I do believe they've changed the formula.

I can add photos comparing the samples if requested.

Anurag

I believe the ink was reformulated atleast once after Kokuyo took over. There were some threads on this topic. At that time the comment was that the ink hue had changed.

Are you guys discussing about a possible second reformulation post Kokuyo take over?

I have not used Camlin ink in several years now but if it has become darker I would like to try it, so pls do post samples.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Here's a comparison between the two bottles I have. One is from 2012 and the other from 2018.

post-146002-0-97838400-1555579214_thumb.jpgpost-146002-0-63796000-1555579238_thumb.jpgpost-146002-0-35509600-1555579256_thumb.jpg

Hope these help.

Anurag.

Thanks! I liked the new one better and both are post Kokuyo only.

Yeah I like the new one too.

They must've changed the formula again under kokuyo's reign. But surely there has been some change.

Edited by AnuragTukan

Here's a comparison between the two bottles I have. One is from 2012 and the other from 2018.

Hope these help.

Anurag.

Thanks for sharing this. I actually prefer the darker color one, so will definitely try out the new camlin ink now. The old camlin ink seemed a little too light for my taste.

If anyone has Bril blue and a new bottle of camel blue, can they post a comparison picture? Thanks.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Hello, this ink looks very affordable. I assume that you all have used with fountain pens with no issues???

Javier

Hello, this ink looks very affordable. I assume that you all have used with fountain pens with no issues???

This is indeed fountain pen ink.

I have used this ink for decades with no issues.

Bril is another inexpensive but superb blue ink.

Both camlin and bril are washable. And they tend to fade slightly on cheap paper which uses bleach to make the paper brighter. So personally I have switched to quink permanent blue ( French) at 23 times the cost of the camlin.

I encountered scratchiness in my pilot metropolitan when I used this new camlin ink. It worked fine with Schmidt nib and Jinhoa nib. The ink seem to have lubrication issue. Also pen are prone to skipping with this new ink.

Edited by vineetkgiri

My Schmidt converter got tainted due to this ink. :-(

too bad. Your bottle was the glass one post kokuyo no?

Does the new plastic bottle ink stain?

Yesterday i purchased a new camlin royal blue ink from local shop. After filling it up it felt completely different. I used this ink after a long time and i don't have old bottle for comparison but i can say that color has darken from before.

My main issue with it is now it feels completely flat to write with. As of writing with a roller ball ink.

Is it a bad batch, or result of change of formula?

The recent Camlin Blue inks have been almost equivalent to garbage for me. They are very light, watered down, dry, and has no character. It is definitely a change of formula, if I'm not wrong, because I've bought around 3 bottles each with different mnfg. dates and they all seem to be the same- garbage.

I miss the old ones....

• 1 month later...

I had a bottle of this in the past & I wasn't impressed with it. It just wasn't as saturated as I had hoped it would be. This was on a Rhodia pad, (Clairefontaine paper). As a washable Ink I think it couldn't be saturated 'BLUE' and come out of clothes and flesh reasonably well. It fades quite badly & Quink Permanent Blue will fare equally badly. Current Quink was approx 50% higher in price when I looked. Herbin was slightly higher in price than the Quink, but for 30ml, not 60.

Give it a fair trial in your pens & with your usual paper. If you don't like it, then you won't be buying it again.

• 2 months later...