Authentic Retailers Online In 2019?

tonydent84

I know of only 2 retailers that I can go to for Montblanc pens - Fountain Pen Hospital (where most of my Montblancs come from) and Pen Boutique. (Not including the Montblanc website itself)

Are there others? I ask for two reasons - between those two stores there are price differences so I'm assuming there might be some advantage of going to one retailer over another...but the other reason is that I was looking around for a particular Montblanc that I saw one time in a boutique that resembled the classique in every way, but had a silver or platinum cap with a black body as opposed to being all black. I can't seem to find it in any of the two aforementioned shops.

I no longer own any fountain pens... Now they own me.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• NeverTapOut

• zaddick

• 1nkulus

• MightyEighth

MB provides a lost of authorized resellers. Rhe number has gone down over the years, but you can look for that list. There are others.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

I second Reed's recommendation of Appelboom, and would add La Couronne du Comte, also in The Netherlands, as a trusted seller. Free and fast international shipping.

I know of only 2 retailers that I can go to for Montblanc pens - Fountain Pen Hospital (where most of my Montblancs come from) and Pen Boutique. (Not including the Montblanc website itself)

Are there others? I ask for two reasons - between those two stores there are price differences so I'm assuming there might be some advantage of going to one retailer over another...but the other reason is that I was looking around for a particular Montblanc that I saw one time in a boutique that resembled the classique in every way, but had a silver or platinum cap with a black body as opposed to being all black. I can't seem to find it in any of the two aforementioned shops.

Tony,

Pen Boutique will match Fountain Pen Hospital's prices...or at least they have for me. +1 for LCDC. I just placed an order from them. They had to go to Hamburg to get the pen however the extra wait is worth the money saved...and they are an authorized dealer. I ordered 3 pens in the last 4 weeks from them. The first one is on it's way. I chose LCDC over Appelboom because i think LCDC was slightly less or at the time Appelboom had a fee for PayPal. I can't remember. Plus LCDC was the first to get back to me.

Regards,

David

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

My supplier for all my MB products is Appelboom! Joost is a fantastic person, and customer service is really second to none.

www.appelboom.com

And while they are international, FEDEX delivers their packages in a matter of 2-4 days.

My experience is on the other side.

Appelboom Fedex shipping to the US is always a disaster. He always claims the package as "Fountain pen" in custom form. If you order fountain pen and ink. He will list THE total value and say ink, fountain pen. And this is the beginning of the problem.

Under US CFR, there are two types of goods related to fountain pen: Fountain pen without ink, and Fountain pen ink. The first one is the pen itself. The second is the ink used for fountain pen. There is no "Fountain pen" as a name for declaration purpose.

So when Appelboom Fedex package arrives, most of time the Fedex will call receipt and ask receipt to fill in TSCA form. You will get 1-3 days delay at Customs. If you order a $3000 Montblanc POA and a $10 bottle ink, you will be charged about 3% duty of total (~3%x(3000+10)) instead of 0 duty for $3000 POA and 3% for $10 ink because Appelboom will never declare your order item by item.

If you live in EU, that's another story, other part of the world, just go to Montblanc boutique store.

Edited by dbs

My experience is on the other side.

Appelboom Fedex shipping to the US is always a disaster. He always claims the package as "Fountain pen" in custom form. If you order fountain pen and ink. He will list THE total value and say ink, fountain pen. And this is the beginning of the problem.

Under US CFR, there are two types of goods related to fountain pen: Fountain pen without ink, and Fountain pen ink. The first one is the pen itself. The second is the ink used for fountain pen. There is no "Fountain pen" as a name for declaration purpose.

So when Appelboom Fedex package arrives, most of time the Fedex will call receipt and ask receipt to fill in TSCA form. You will get 1-3 days delay at Customs. If you order a $3000 Montblanc POA and a $10 bottle ink, you will be charged about 3% duty of total (~3%x(3000+10)) instead of 0 duty for $3000 POA and 3% for $10 ink because Appelboom will never declare your order item by item.

If you live in EU, that's another story, other part of the world, just go to Montblanc boutique store.

After +20 orders that include pens from a standard meisterstuck ($700 pen), to Peggy Guggenheim (a $2500 PoA pen), including a few Heritage Rouge et noir, homer, etc, I have never had the problems described above...!

After +20 orders that include pens from a standard meisterstuck ($700 pen), to Peggy Guggenheim (a $2500 PoA pen), including a few Heritage Rouge et noir, homer, etc, I have never had the problems described above...!

Have you ordered ink though? Since MB pens don't come with ink they have not been a problem for me, but both times I ordered ink I had the delays and had to talk to FedEx and fill out the form. Because the value was relatively low I did not pay additional fees. As a result I now order ink from LCdC instead. They ship Dutch Post which is slower but no issues to date.

I am aware the experience of others may vary, but it was always an ink bottle that caused the issue for me. I have never order ink and a pen together so can't say how that might impact customs fees.

Edited by zaddick

Have you ordered ink though? Since MB pens don't come with ink they have not been a problem for me, but both times I ordered ink I had the delays and had to talk to FedEx and fill out the form. Because the value was relatively low I did not pay additional fees. As a result I now order ink from LCdC instead. They ship Dutch Post which is slower but no issues to date.

I am aware the experience of others may vary, but it was always an ink bottle that caused the issue for me. I have never order ink and a pen together so can't say how that might impact customs fees.

Zaddick,

I have pen and ink combo from LCDC. Hopefully it does not get stopped. Just checked...package left NL today...so it is in route.

Regards,

David

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut

I have never order ink and a pen together so can't say how that might impact customs fees.

Keep it that way.

My friend has had more hassles ordering the combo. Now, he orders the pen and ink separately.

LCdC free shipping is 150 Euro vs 200 for Appelboom.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Zaddick,

I have pen and ink combo from LCDC. Hopefully it does not get stopped. Just checked...package left NL today...so it is in route.

50:50 sad.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Zaddick,

Regards,

David

So far I have not had any shipments form LCdC incur additional fees. i did have a box opened and inspected, but that was the worst of it. Of course one man's experience is no guarantee and now that i said it out loud I am sure it will happen with the next order. :lol:

Last Friday I ordered a 149 (my first) from LCDC. They said it was out of stock but expected this week. It'll be a week tomorrow. The waiting is tough.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Last Friday I ordered a 149 (my first) from LCDC. They said it was out of stock but expected this week. It'll be a week tomorrow. The waiting is tough.

Waiting is tough however you are probably saving money...Well worth the wait.

Waiting is tough however you are probably saving money...Well worth the wait.

This is true.

Ink 'em if you got 'em!

Good things come to those who wait. wink.png

Engineer :

gaah.gif All to save 10 dollars...Live and learn...Pens only.

+1

OTOH, $10 is better spent on Cannoli than the IRS. tongue.png

Engineer :

Of course one man's experience is no guarantee and now that i said it out loud I am sure it will happen with the next order. laugh.png

Probably. headsmack.gif

Ensure the retailer 'spiritually' insures the next order.

Engineer :

+1

OTOH, $10 is better spent on Cannoli than the IRS. tongue.png

Great. Now I want a cannoli.