The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Skyline Flow Characteristics

skyline flexible nib wet flow

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Bristol24

Bristol24

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 20:15

The one Eversharp Skyline that I own has a wonderful flexible nib.  While I would not call it a "wet noodle," I would say that it is "flexible" and certainly not "semi-flexible."  Earlier I posted a question regarding ink flow in the Skyline.  In my opinion, the flow from this pen is quite wet.  Originally I thought this might be due to the fact that the vent or breather tube was loose inside the sac.  I have now removed the sac and repaired the fit of the vent tube.  Now, with the new sac installed, the pen fills more completely but writes pretty much the same.  It is a wet writer.  Granted, a flexible nib needs a wet flow to prevent railroading but I wonder just how much.  Generally speaking, the ink remains wet three to four lines above where I am writing.  In other words dry time is in excess of 30 seconds easily. Following the repair, I used Waterman Serenity Blue which seemed quite wet.  I flushed that out and am now trying my old standby, Parker Quink Permanent Black.  The flow is a little more controlled but is still quite wet.  I would appreciate knowing from others who have a flexible nib Skyline if their pens also have a very wet flow.

Thanks,

Cliff

Sponsored Content

#2 rdh

rdh

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 21:21

I would suggest re-setting the feed.  This is quite simple.  

Remove the nib and feed.

Wind a rubber band tightly around them with the nib aligned perfectly with the feed.

Boil water in a small cup in a microwave. 

Remove it and let it sit for 15-30 sec.

Drop the nib in for a minute or less.  

Fish it out with a spoon and let it cool.

Once cool, remove the rubber band and reinstall in the pen.  The ebonite feed softens and conforms to the nib.  Once it is cool, it will harden into its new shape.  This should give you the optimum flow for the pen.  Note that this is NOT something you should do to a plastic feed.

The Waterman ink(s) are fine.  So are Quinks, but the black Quink can be a problem for some.

Hope this works.

Dave

#3 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,157 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 21:21

These are wet writers, and that is a good thing.

#4 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,018 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 00:29

I have a half-dozen Skylines, including one very soft medium. They are all wet.

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500; "stay in the fight"; WON the fight

#5 cobalt

cobalt

Fluid

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 26 May 2019 - 13:16

All my Skylines are wet with the lushest nibs. A Wahl Skyline lays down a line line a bump in the road. A real test of paper quality. You almost want to fit an IV to keep it alive. Savour their personality they're not coming back.

...be like the ocean...

#6 Addertooth

Addertooth

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 20:53

Mine is not "Waterman #2 nib wet" (leaving a puddle), but it will lay down a 2mm wide line several inches long without any risk of railroading.  I would put it in the wetter than most crowd.  

#7 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2019 - 22:07

They are wonderfully wet writers that provide a consistent flow of ink.

The feed does well with temperature and rough movement.

#8 ErrantSmudge

ErrantSmudge

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,250 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2019 - 22:59

I have one Skyline with a flexible nib purchased from Greg Minuskin.  It is a very wet writer. I would expect the feed to be rather wet in order to provide enough ink flow for the flexible nib.

#9 Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Parts Bin Digger

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 September 2019 - 19:08

I've owned and repaired a fair number of the Skylines. They're generally not that expensive and are good writers. My experience is that most of them were fairly wet writers, especially the ones with the more flexible nibs. I do have one of the blue stripe pens with a totally rigid medium nib where the flow is more moderate. But in general, the semi-flex and flexible nib versions had wetter flow than the rigid nib versions. The blue stripe Skyline is one of the most attractive fountain pens ever made.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: skyline, flexible nib, wet flow

Sponsored Content

|