Homer Or James Dean?

Bhakt

Im beset between these two fabulous pens of 2018. Please help me decide which is your choice and why; Itll help making up my mind reading your comments. Thanks for helping. Regards

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• zaddick

• torstar

• Bhakt

• AndyLogan

Top Posters In This Topic

Homer...

Its amazingly comfortable! It has a #9 nib... its in Homage to Homer!!!!! It has champagne gold...!!

But i am a little biased... i love the poems... and i never knew james dean existed untill i saw the pen. Before so i was ignorant of his roles and life.

For me, first and foremost it's about the people they honour. So first you have to ask yourself "Homer vs James Dean" *not* in terms of pens. :) That's my thinking, since I could tolerate small inconveniences in pens that mean something to me, spiritually, intellectually etc., in some intangible way, but I couldn't take joy in writing with a pen which represents someone I don't care about.

Of the two, I'd go with the Homer, since I think his contributions to humanity are incomparable to James Dean's (I'm not starting a rant --- it's just my opinion).

Between these 2 pens for me it would be James Dean. Not related to the characters but for the pen. Homer is based on a 149 with #9 nib but don't like the mate aspect of the pen. For me it seems a really cheep plastic pen even if the nib is really well. I prefer the the James Dean SE pen, red is also one of my favorite color.

For me, first and foremost it's about the people they honour. So first you have to ask yourself "Homer vs James Dean" *not* in terms of pens. :) That's my thinking, since I could tolerate small inconveniences in pens that mean something to me, spiritually, intellectually etc., in some intangible way, but I couldn't take joy in writing with a pen which represents someone I don't care about.

Of the two, I'd go with the Homer, since I think his contributions to humanity are incomparable to James Dean's (I'm not starting a rant --- it's just my opinion).

Yup.

It is a triple enjoyment when you can admire Proust and his LE pen is one of the greatest ever.... :D

Well, I picked Homer despite the fact he is probably not a real single person that existed. I prefer the size, the design details, the larger nib with an ability to get an O3B, and the better fit for my hand. I'll say the Dean is a nice looking pen in red and I find the design appealing. I can even accept the gun barrel clip.

I do not like a few aspects of the Homer, however, and they may be more important to you. First, there is a little block of metal that is a thread stop to ensure the design lines up. This, or maybe the metal threads themselves, will leave scratches on the section. For sure. Also, there are little grooves in the design which are appealing to look at and touch, but till capture little bits of lint and "stuff" over time. Not difficult to clean really, but it does ad to the maintenance. I have not handled a Dean pen long enough to know if there are similar small issues when living with and using the pen.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

Well, I picked Homer despite the fact he is probably not a real single person that existed. I prefer the size, the design details, the larger nib with an ability to get an O3B, and the better fit for my hand. I'll say the Dean is a nice looking pen in red and I find the design appealing. I can even accept the gun barrel clip.

I do not like a few aspects of the Homer, however, and they may be more important to you. First, there is a little block of metal that is a thread stop to ensure the design lines up. This, or maybe the metal threads themselves, will leave scratches on the section. For sure. Also, there are little grooves in the design which are appealing to look at and touch, but till capture little bits of lint and "stuff" over time. Not difficult to clean really, but it does ad to the maintenance. I have not handled a Dean pen long enough to know if there are similar small issues when living with and using the pen.

Thanks! Your posts on MB are among the best, for me (at the very least...) :D

Edited by torstar

Well, I picked Homer despite the fact he is probably not a real single person that existed. I prefer the size, the design details, the larger nib with an ability to get an O3B, and the better fit for my hand. .

Very good reasons, I say... and would like to add that it is fun to pretend and imagine Homer as a blind singer dictating the Iliad and the Odyssey to a diligent scribe.

Thanks! Your posts on MB are among the best, for me (at the very least...) :D

Your kindness is much appreciated. I try to add value through information, support, or humor, often in combination. This is a great community where I have learned a lot (although it has cost me more than I care to calculate) and I enjoy have easy access to so many nice people.

Very good reasons, I say... and would like to add that it is fun to pretend and imagine Homer as a blind singer dictating the Iliad and the Odyssey to a diligent scribe.

Perhaps this will remain the only pen in the series without a signature on it? Depends how far back in time we go.

Whether one or many authors, the stories are still entertaining to this day which is impressive.

James Dean 1931 LE

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

On the other hand the writing in the cap ring i.e. Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today. a quote attributed to him is more pregnant with deeper insight than prima facie looks!

The red colour scheme with other details are amazing indeed. Yes I otherwise agree that its the character thats important not the appearance of product. Thanks to all of you indeed for so many responses with much insight.