The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Vintage Pilot Help Please

pilot vintage pilot pilot

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#21 AL01

AL01

Eh?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,138 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:59

Hello all,
I have this Pilot lever filler I am curious about. Can someone tell me the model and approximate age of this pen? The nib is badly bent. I had a nibmeister look at it in Atlanta and he recommend a replacement and felt it was beyond repair. Does anyone have a source for a replacement nib. Even bent, this one is very flexy.

Thank you in advance.

Hiya! 

There is a thread, and the dude who runs the thread knows someone in Europe who can retip stainless steel nibs.

I think you should give him a try: http://www.fountainp...-service/page-7

Personally, I think you should try to save your nib, for these early Pilot pens are quite rare.

Sponsored Content

#22 liubrian

liubrian

Dipped Only

• Member - Silver

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 03:07

Looks like a solid wartime pen. I don't remember when they switched from the N imprint to the P imprint on the pens, but that should be early 50s (pre-53, which is when the 53R came out).

The change from N to P was in 1938.

Another hint for dating these Pilots is the clip design - they got much simpler as the war continued.  Here are some photos: https://ameblo.jp/ka...2314111529.html

I've also heard that the nib inscription changed from "Best in the World" to "Best Quality" after the war, which is consistent with pens I've seen but I don't have a particular date for that.

#23 Seiryuu

Seiryuu

Near Mint

• Member - Silver

• PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:21

The change from N to P was in 1938.

Another hint for dating these Pilots is the clip design - they got much simpler as the war continued.  Here are some photos: https://ameblo.jp/ka...2314111529.html

I've also heard that the nib inscription changed from "Best in the World" to "Best Quality" after the war, which is consistent with pens I've seen but I don't have a particular date for that.

That's super cool, thanks for the link :)

#24 JulieParadise

JulieParadise

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 April 2019 - 20:17

Do not give up that nib, though. I have been able to bend two modern Pilot Capless nibs back that seemed beyond repair. Sure, a wound will remain, but both do write normally again. You might give that a try as there is not much to lose at this point anyway. Be careful and stick to wooden thingies like the wooden ice cream grip instead of metal pliers and such as the risk to destroy and scratch something is bigger the harder the material is.

Sina a.k.a. Julie Paradise | www.instagram.com/wwwjulieparadisede

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot vintage pilot, pilot

Sponsored Content

|