The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Light Pen With Fat Grip?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 shinryu

shinryu

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:08

I know the title sounds a bit like an oxymoron but I have found that while I like nice, thick sections to grab onto, my wrists just cannot stand heavy pens, especially those that weigh over 30g without cap (I never post so the cap weight is irrelevant).

Currently I am looking for a pen with a section diameter larger than 10mm (preferably 11 and above) but an uncapped weight under 25g (preferably 20 and below) with a budget of under $50. I am contemplating on the Moonman M5 wooden pen but not sure if the section is thick enough. Does anyone know of pens that would meet these criteria?

Sponsored Content

#2 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:15

Indian ebonite pens! ASA and Ranga work for me.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#3 MuddyWaters

MuddyWaters

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 15:28

The Asa pens are often thicker and light and can be had for less than 50.

Moonman M2 has a thicker section and is light, but it is short with a step down so I feel the grip is awkward.

The pilot explorer is very light and not too thin.

Link to a post about ergonomics I made: http://www.fountainp...with/?p=4179072

#4 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 15:49

Lamy Nexx

#5 welch

welch

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,841 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 15:50

The ultimate "fat" pen but light enough that a user could, and was expected to, write all day: Sheaffer PfM. 

Washington Nationals 2019: the fight for .500

#6 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 21:07

Bexley Prometheus if you can still find one.

Resin pen, cc system, steel Jowo nib (the newer versions, the earlier versions were piston fillers and had a #8 gold nib)

It's very light and the section and barrel is no doubt among the widest I have tried (I don't own a 149, nor a Pelikan 1000 for comparison).

Otherwise, as has been suggested, Ranga. The Emperor has quite a wide section. Model 5 is really huge...

Gama, Hawk also is a large size pen.

All Indian ebonite pens are obviously very light.

Edited by sansenri, 15 April 2019 - 21:09.

#7 almoore

almoore

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 22:15

Ranga 8B is a pretty substantial pen, very light and a great writer.

If you want something bigger they make a giant version of their #9

Al

#8 shinryu

shinryu

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 23:41

Thanks for the advice, guys. I guess Indian is the way to go within my budget range. I've noticed Ranga is somewhat more expensive than Asa, would you say there is a noticeable difference in quality?

#9 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 23:44

Sheaffer no-nonsense perhaps?

http://penhero.com/P...rNoNonsense.htm

#10 shinryu

shinryu

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 23:54

Sheaffer no-nonsense perhaps?

http://penhero.com/P...rNoNonsense.htm

That's actually a very interesting read, but the article doesn't seem to be too fond of the pen's current incarnation... is the Viewpoint any good?

#11 Arkanabar

Arkanabar

Ain't I a stinker?

• Member - Gold

• 2,500 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:06

I would say that current version of the Viewpoint has two significant flaws.

First, the barrel has two GIANT cutouts in it -- not like the 2mmx10mm windows in the Lamy Safari, but rather 4mmx35mm or so.  Second is the nasty rubber sleeve covering the section -- guaranteed to have ink ooze in and out by capillary action if you fill from the bottle.

#12 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:22

Don't bother with the sub-$20 sheaffers. they feel cheap and nasty and just aren't worth it.

penbbs 456 (basically all models of penbbs), 20g, 10.5mm grip

Online switch, 14g, 11.22mm 

Conklin All American, 18g, 11.6mm

moonman m2, 10.46g, 10.8mm

moonman M5 (wood pen, surprisingly high quality) 12.86g, 11.1mm

sailor young profit skeleton 9.98g, 10.5mm

rotring core (discontinued but still readily available under 40 bucks) 11.56g, 11.8mm section (this has a weird grip but it's pretty much universally loved for being immensely comfortable)

waterman phileas/kultur, 16.6g, 10.6mm

nemosine singularity, 8.97g, 10.4mm

platinum plaisir,  11.4g, 10.7mm (this one is a LOT girthier than people expect)

faber castell loom, 25.99g inked, 11.75mm

kaco edge, 12.76g, 10.98mm

TWSBI GO, 12.6g, 10.4-11.4 depending on where you hold

Ohto Jazz - 16.65g, 11mm perfectly cylindrical section

TWSBI 580 14.4g, 10.5mm

TWSBI Eco - 13.42g, 10mm

Ranga 3c eyedropper - 15.86g inked, 11.63mm section

all of these weights are uncapped and unposted, and all of these pens are perfectly usable unposted

Edited by Honeybadgers, 16 April 2019 - 02:23.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#13 almoore

almoore

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:41

Thanks for the advice, guys. I guess Indian is the way to go within my budget range. I've noticed Ranga is somewhat more expensive than Asa, would you say there is a noticeable difference in quality?

Ranga and ASA make very good pens and I own pens from both of them. I the ASA Nauka which is a larger pen, so might be worth considering; I also have the Ranga 8B in both ebonite and acrylic. All of them write very well but my favourite is the ebonite 8B - it's a c/c version with a medium Jowo nib and it's an absolute pleasure to use.

Hope this helps

Al

#14 TSherbs

TSherbs

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,607 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:59

H-b,

Very helpful info!

#15 shinryu

shinryu

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:05

Don't bother with the sub-$20 sheaffers. they feel cheap and nasty and just aren't worth it.

penbbs 456 (basically all models of penbbs), 20g, 10.5mm grip

Online switch, 14g, 11.22mm 

Conklin All American, 18g, 11.6mm

moonman m2, 10.46g, 10.8mm

moonman M5 (wood pen, surprisingly high quality) 12.86g, 11.1mm

sailor young profit skeleton 9.98g, 10.5mm

rotring core (discontinued but still readily available under 40 bucks) 11.56g, 11.8mm section (this has a weird grip but it's pretty much universally loved for being immensely comfortable)

waterman phileas/kultur, 16.6g, 10.6mm

nemosine singularity, 8.97g, 10.4mm

platinum plaisir,  11.4g, 10.7mm (this one is a LOT girthier than people expect)

faber castell loom, 25.99g inked, 11.75mm

kaco edge, 12.76g, 10.98mm

TWSBI GO, 12.6g, 10.4-11.4 depending on where you hold

Ohto Jazz - 16.65g, 11mm perfectly cylindrical section

TWSBI 580 14.4g, 10.5mm

TWSBI Eco - 13.42g, 10mm

Ranga 3c eyedropper - 15.86g inked, 11.63mm section

all of these weights are uncapped and unposted, and all of these pens are perfectly usable unposted

Wow that was very informative, thank you! Never knew the Loom was that thick. M5 seems to have good value for money as well, although being wood I would expect it to be somewhat more prone to dings and scratches. The Indian ebonites also sound nice although I do need to go eyedropper to fit my budget. Hmm... decisions...

#16 cellmatrix

cellmatrix

Collectors Item

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• 1,430 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:03

That's actually a very interesting read, but the article doesn't seem to be too fond of the pen's current incarnation... is the Viewpoint any good?

Don't get the viewpoint. Better to get some NOS USA made no nonsense pens from the 70's and 80's - easy to find on eBay and usually less than $20

Also I agree with platinum plasir, another wonderful cheapish pen, light but with pretty decent girth. 

#17 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 16:50

as ED you can also check the ASA Gama Eyas, it's about the same size of the Ranga 3 or 3C or 8B, it's a very affordable pen (around 22-23$ on Asa pen site, come only in brushed black).

The nib is reasonably good, but it's also possible to fit another #6 size nib in place of the provided one, probably Jowo or Bock will fit, I switched an Omas nib I had in, it fits perfectly. So far a very well behaved ED, no burping whatsoever.

Some pics compared to a Pelikan M800

fpn_1551630764__p1170098-3_gama_eyas_bru

fpn_1551631203__p1170100-3_gama_eyas_bru

edited for correction

Edited by sansenri, 16 April 2019 - 18:45.

#18 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

• Member - Gold

• 1,678 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 18:07

No. I have both. Ranga is VERY responsive and has more options available.

I like the ASA Maya, but it is not configured in the way I asked it to be. I did not ask for anything unusual. Just that it be threaded to accept a Bock housing, which ASA has done may times in the past. I received a pen with Jowo housing. I've been trying to get a response from ASA for nine months. I've sent several emails. I've pm'd the owner four times. Nothing. No response at all. Unfortunately I've given up.

Edited by Karmachanic, 16 April 2019 - 18:14.

"Want little. Need less. Love more."

#19 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:20

Wow that was very informative, thank you! Never knew the Loom was that thick. M5 seems to have good value for money as well, although being wood I would expect it to be somewhat more prone to dings and scratches. The Indian ebonites also sound nice although I do need to go eyedropper to fit my budget. Hmm... decisions...

The eyedropper Ranga's are pretty solid. I had problems with mine but I was using a noodlers feed in it since I lost the included one - I switched to the feed from a wing sung 590 and it's been a flawless pen (if you need CHEAP and huge, the 590 is worth looking into - just be ready to put a different nib in it and don't expect great fit and finish of the furniture - and throw away the metal shroud on the ink sac and just squeeze the sac itself) 

I actually think the wing sung 590 feed is a great modificaiton for the ranga eyedroppers - it has a breather tube which helps air exchange and prevents burping. Been using one with a JoWo EF and have nearly drained the pen without a single burp yet.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#20 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 17:18

"I was using a noodlers feed in it since I lost the included one"

Ranga usually includes a spare feed when you buy a pen from them, are you sure you have not stored it away somewhere (do you keep the original box? it might be in there...)

They will send you a spare one with the pen from the group buy (noticed you gave in... :D )

Sponsored Content

|