The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Fake Parker Sonnet On Ebay

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:14

You may wish to avoid items from this seller who is selling imitiation Parker Sonnets.

https://www.ebay.co....BIAAOSwteFb-I~I

The seller has reinvented himself being a seller called agedarmybrat in the past, I would assume that he has collapsed that trading name due to being reported to ebay for selling fake Parkers.

The new listing has been reported to ebay.

Mennonite

Sponsored Content

#2 mke

mke

Read my lips: No more (pens/inks/paper)

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,919 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:49

How do you know these are fakes? Please elaborate. Thank you.

#3 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 11:59

I have bought from the seller in the past, when challenged about his pens he accepted that they were fakes and gave a refund. For a while he modified his listings using phrases such as Chinese Parker Sonnet, or Parker Sonnet replica, you actually had a better idea of what you were buying.

As a pen they are actually quite well made, but they are not as described.

This thread tells the back story on fake Sonnets.

http://www.fountainp...t-real-or-fake/

Mennonite

#4 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:10

The original item has been taken down by ebay, the seller has relisted the item immediately.

Mennonite

#5 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 1,919 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:20

> The original item has been taken down by ebay

That is not true. The bidding time was just running out while I was looking at the link. Ebay had not taken it down.

#6 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:28

> The original item has been taken down by ebay

That is not true. The bidding time was just running out while I was looking at the link. Ebay had not taken it down.

Ok.

I got  a different message on my screen.

I am not going to argue with you over this matter, personal choice on whether anyone wishes to proceed.

The seller has had feedback on 7 other 'Parker Sonnets', all identical to the one now offered for sale.

Best regards

Edited by Parkette, 15 April 2019 - 12:31.

Mennonite

#7 RUGMAN

RUGMAN

Transplanted Chicagoan

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 April 2019 - 19:09

A while ago I purchased one of these faux Parker pens in RB style. It's quite nice and uses real Parker refills. It'd great for etc and if you lose it you're out only $5.00.....

Lee Rappeport

#8 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 14:42

A while ago I purchased one of these faux Parker pens in RB style. It's quite nice and uses real Parker refills. It'd great for etc and if you lose it you're out only $5.00.....

There was another seller of these fake Parkers, I saw one of his products and it was a well made fountain pen, although there was an odd description by the seller in that the pen would take Parker cartridges or SIC, which is a good trick.

Parker have agreed that the pen shown in the listing above is not a Parker, although the seller swears blind that it is the genuine article. My suspicions are aroused as his pen is one 7+ that he has sold, all identical, no box or a Parker warranty.

You need to take a view on whether it is acceptable to buy a fake item, described as genuine, as this  encourages the trade in what many see as a criminal/illegal activity.

Mennonite

#9 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 16:57

At that price, any sensible person can conclude that it is a fake. If they wish to proceed, it is their choice.

I am sure there are other sellers in the same boat, running the same gig.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#10 torstar

torstar

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,224 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 18:00

How do you know these are fakes? Please elaborate. Thank you.

The pen actually writes?

#11 sansenri

sansenri

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 20:50

He says he has bought this in Switzerland...

"New Parker Sonnet Fountain Pen Golden Office Series.. I'm buy in Switzerland. Beautiful gift. Good luck. Thank You"

The most trustworthy part of his offer I find is the "good luck" bit...

#12 1nkulus

1nkulus

• Member - Gold

• 2,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 April 2019 - 12:06

The most trustworthy part of his offer I find is the "good luck" bit...

I think it is more like,

‘You've got to ask yourself one question. Do I feel lucky?'  laugh.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#13 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 13:34

This rogue seller has a peculiar history, his sold items, and the current pen for sale, all show one pen in the main picture and another quite different pen in the back up pics, how you know what you are buying I am not quite sure, and you will be even more confused when you go to buy Parker refills and attempt to fit them.

I have challenged the seller to provide any proof that the pen is made by Parker at which point he became very aggressive and used languange that is the reserve of sailors and other rough boys.

Mennonite

#14 1nkulus

1nkulus

• Member - Gold

• 2,010 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 24 April 2019 - 00:36

I guess his business model is selling fake pens or in this case a Sonnet. There would be others doing a similar gig too.

Engineer :

#15 Creakyknees

Creakyknees

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 16:15

I agree with the above comments.  

Sadly there are a lot of fakes out there - unless you are not buying from an authorised dealer, you need to be careful to ensure that the item is genuine.  This applies particularly when buying Parker Sonnets, Montblanc, Cartier or ST Dupont.  

In my experience, the quality of the counterfeit items are far inferior to that of genuine products.  It may look pretty good in the pictures but you will quickly find faulty mechanisms, poor fitting refills, loose parts and very thin plating that quickly wears.

#16 james3paris

james3paris

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 00:54

I caught this thread and for the past two hours. After I did not find the P/P, I went nutty try to authenticate my new one/vintage. It had the P/W (Parker-Waterman).  So, I have to 98%. Passed the magnetic test.  Nonetheless,  I am having the nib tested tomorrow.  Here was a good article. 

http://penhero.com/P...onnetClones.htm

#17 mke

mke

• Member - Gold

• 1,919 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 05:55

> the quality of the counterfeit items are far inferior to that of genuine products

I would not place my money on that guess.

I read that some Montblanc fakes are so good that Montblanc engineers have trouble confirming that they are counterfeits. I have seen one of these, undistinguishable from the original.

#18 jchch1950

jchch1950

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:35

:yikes:

> the quality of the counterfeit items are far inferior to that of genuine products

I would not place my money on that guess.

I read that some Montblanc fakes are so good that Montblanc engineers have trouble confirming that they are counterfeits. I have seen one of these, undistinguishable from the original.

#19 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 451 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:48

I agree with the popping eyes reaction comment from jchch.

I find it impossible to believe that MB engineers cannot seperate their own product from a fake.

Mennonite

#20 OmegaMountain

OmegaMountain

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:01

I agree with the popping eyes reaction comment from jchch.

I find it impossible to believe that MB engineers cannot seperate their own product from a fake.

Rolex fakes are getting so good that Rolex technicians can't tell if they're fake sometimes until they take the case back off and thoroughly examine the movement. When the fakes are selling for several hundred dollars and are actually probably worth that price just as a watch, not a Rolex, they're getting to be pretty sophisticated. Of course, that doesn't mean that it's right to be selling them - it's a theft of IP and a con on the consumer either way, and I think you're in the right about reporting the Parker seller and making people aware. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if MB fakes have gotten equally as good, however. The cost of actually manufacturing the pen isn't that high and the materials aren't exactly rare despite that resin being "precious". Yes, I do own an MB and I think they are fantastic pens. 

"Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts." - Patrick Rothfuss

Sponsored Content

|