The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

What Is Everyone's Favourite Nib Size?

nibs

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 mana

mana

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 27 June 2019 - 14:43

Italic > CI > Stub, nowadays preferring a crisp, wide B or BB for everyday writing.

More narrow and wide stub/CI/Italic nibs can be plenty great also, mainly looking after that nice natural line width variation.

Vintage nibs are great for this, especially Pelikan but Lamy, MB too. Modern nibs... plain steel 1.1mm italic nibs can be loads of fun. :)

Adopt, Don't Shop! Support Your Local Animal Shelters! - Let's make this world a better place together! Because... now is the only thing that is real...

"Indifference towards people and the reality in which they live is actually the one and only cardinal sin in design." - Dieter Rams

EDC: Post WWII green binde Pelikan 100N CI 14K B, post WWII black binde 100N 14K EEF, 400 Tortoise CI 14K BB. INKED: early 70s LAMY 2000 MK, Parker 51 Aerometric F & M, rOtring Art Pen 1.1 & 1.5 mm CI & Woodshed Pen Co. Red swirl 1.1 mm CI etc. Inks: Pelikan 4001 BB & Turquoise, vintage Parker Quink & Lamy Turquoise. Also, my own mixes. Desk pen: Black Pelikan 500NN with a 14K M-nib in a bakelite Pelikan pen holder.

Sponsored Content

#62 countrydirt

countrydirt

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 June 2019 - 19:27

I'm not sure if I answered this before, but I'm becoming more and more partial to the F and EF nibs in the 2000 and the F and 1.1. nibs on the other pens that accept them.  I just ordered a Studio with an EF gold nib so i hope it becomes a favorite as well.

#63 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 00:34

On a lamy? I kind of hate all the Z50 nibs equally. I would say EF but I'd be lying, because I actually take off all my lamy nibs and replace them with $1 chinese EF's that are much finer, smoother, and more consistent with the QC.

Now, if we're talking gold, I'd probably say EF. I only have used three though, an F 2000, an EF 2000 (still kinda too wide though) and an OM 14k on my platinum CP1. The OM is nice, but just a ball. I'd have preferred an EF.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#64 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,465 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 00:34

I'm not sure if I answered this before, but I'm becoming more and more partial to the F and EF nibs in the 2000 and the F and 1.1. nibs on the other pens that accept them.  I just ordered a Studio with an EF gold nib so i hope it becomes a favorite as well.

If you don't like it and want to trade for a nearly unused 14k OM, PM me  :P

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#65 Mongoosey

Mongoosey

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 June 2019 - 03:11

I started out on Jowo sized Broads,

Then shifted to Jowo sized Mediums,

Now I prefer European Fines/Lamy EF's/ Japanese Mediums,

I may grow to like finer nibs, but am not there yet.

#66 IvoryParker

IvoryParker

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 04:03

I'm normally partial to a medium nib however I am quite enjoying the fine at the moment. I feel much more in control

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs

Sponsored Content

|