What Is Everyone's Favourite Nib Size?

Sal the List Maker

... and I don't mean psychics or women of ill-repute. rolleyes.gif

I think that is exactly what you meant, man up and stop skirting the issue. biggrin.png

Double broad has been my poison, on numerous occasions.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Sal the List Maker

• inkstainedruth

• samasry

In Lamy pens, I tend to prefer fine nibs, because I like seeing the colour of the ink, but I find the mediums a smidge too fat.

If I'm writing in block print, though, I prefer the B nibs or even wider.

For my poor attempts at italic calligraphy, I prefer the 1.1 and 1.5 stubs to the 1.9, with the 1.1 being my favourite.

sig2.jpgsig1.jpg

Events may be horrible or inescapable. Men always have a choice - if not whether, then how they endure.

- Lois McMaster Bujold

Depends on the writing task.

For normal writing an M or a stub/cursive italic of about 0.8 to 1.0 mm.

But for writing in my planner/calendar/agenda (bad paper) F or EF.

D.ick

~

KEEP SAFE, WEAR A MASK, KEEP A DISTANCE.

Freedom exists by virtue of self limitation.

~

I've expanded my range over the past couple of years, but when push comes to shove I will generally reach for a pen with an F nib first.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Japanese EF or F for note-taking (sometimes a Soft-Fine)

Flex for having fun and not being productive.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

My 2000 is Medium and my favorite Safari is Medium.

Broad is nice for more characterful inks and I have a couple nice Fines but if I could only keep one, it would 100% be a Medium.

do not do calligraphy, just want to have decent handwriting and daily use and for that my preferred nib size always be Fine / EF ( depending on the brand )

If you average it out, everyones favorite nib is - M.

Add lightness and simplicate.

If you average it out, everyone's favorite nib is - M.

biggrin.png

M for middle.

Engineer :

M, B, and 1.5mm are the most pleasant to write with in the Lamy steel nib series.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

Hi all,

I prefer medium and broad nibs... I write boldly... and I love to see color,... but w/o needing to be as precise as one has to be with an italic.

Be well all... and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

I started of liking F nibs or even EF nibs. But at the moment I tend to like M nibs better. Who knows what nibs I'll end up liking, perhaps BB or even broader.

My students won't appreciate the big fat red lines on their tests though... haha

My students won't appreciate the big fat red lines on their tests though... haha

It'll definitely get the point across, loud and clear.

If they truly hate the 'fat lines' then, they can ensure less errors going forward. laugh.png

Engineer :

I started of liking F nibs or even EF nibs. But at the moment I tend to like M nibs better. Who knows what nibs I'll end up liking, perhaps BB or even broader.

i don't recall lines like that, the best was a huge "SUCH IGNORANCE!!!" written on a physics midterm.

Still laughing about that one.

B - just a pleasure to write with

or BB - slightly les forging than B but beautiful line variations as most BB are stubs.

EF and F is just not me

Italics are too demanding fo rmy daily writing

Enjoy your pens

Have a nice day

Junaid

i don't recall lines like that, the best was a huge "SUCH IGNORANCE!!!" written on a physics midterm.

Still laughing about that one.

I keep thinking about a paper a friend of mine wrote for a class (IIRC, History of Photography). He was supposed to be do a critical analysis of an exhibit of Walker Evans' and someone else's work. And he wrote it as if he was a fifth grader: "What I did When I Went to New Haven", framing the analysis with the "story" of a kid's class trip (including the bus driver getting drunk and driving off without his best friend). I couldn't believe he did it.

OR that he got away with it.... The professor not only gave him a good grade, he wrote "Don't worry about your friend -- they found him under a table at [name] Pizza, having eaten two double pepperoni extra large pizzas. And when asked why, he said he wanted to be an artist when he grew up, and artists have to suffer...."

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."