The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

What Is Everyone's Favourite Nib Size?

nibs

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#1 Sal the List Maker

Sal the List Maker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 04:41

I thought I liked the B or at least the M, then as I grow cough cough older I seem to prefer the EF. However, lately I find Lamy EF is sometimes scratchy, and since the EF doesn't show much shading I feel F is the way to go! I honestly feel like swapping all my nibs to an F right now if not for the fact that when I write in birthday cards and such my handwriting is much bigger and an M would look much nicer & show off the ink way better.

So yeah my favourites would be the F for everyday writing and note making, and M for greeting cards & gift tags.

What about y'all?

Sponsored Content

#2 gyasko

gyasko

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,095 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:15

BB

#3 jchch1950

jchch1950

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:41

B B)

#4 sciumbasci

sciumbasci

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:16

EF and Stub.
Stub are what you'd expect out of a fountain pen: turns your chicken scratches into somewhat nice script (IME)

#5 1nkulus

1nkulus

Thought2Papier via Ink2Pen

• Member - Gold

• 2,151 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 13:41

EF and Stub.
Stub are what you'd expect out of a fountain pen: turns your chicken scratches into somewhat nice script (IME)

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

#6 dennis_f

dennis_f

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 16:58

EF.  Though I am starting to get a taste for wider nibs (at the B end of the spectrum).  Ask me again in a year.

I do see your point re the F showing more variation than the EF, and I have been reaching for Fs more often lately.

#7 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,219 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 17:38

Fine to extra fine for me.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

#8 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,806 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:03

Most of my 27 (ish) pens are european F, I really appreciate my three EF Studio as they make Ama Iro, Kon Peki and Ajisai look really nice, consistently.

My other F Studio and a Pelikan F are laying fat lines, thicker than other F nibs, it's making me think I wouldn't like anything broader.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#9 Mr.Rene

Mr.Rene

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,557 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 April 2019 - 18:25

B, BB, Stub and Flex

#10 Sal the List Maker

Sal the List Maker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:38

EF and Stub.

LOL

I find FPs make my handwriting nicer no matter what size the nib! But of course the F makes it nicest (IMHO of my own handwriting)

#11 Sal the List Maker

Sal the List Maker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:41

EF.  Though I am starting to get a taste for wider nibs (at the B end of the spectrum).  Ask me again in a year.

I do see your point re the F showing more variation than the EF, and I have been reaching for Fs more often lately.

I did use to love broad nibs, but another observation I found with broad nibs is that they tend to make my handwriting more manly, less feminine.

And yes I'd be curious to see if your tastes in nib sizes (or my own) would change in a year. I'll watch this topic for sure!

Edited by Sal the List Maker, 16 April 2019 - 02:44.

#12 Sal the List Maker

Sal the List Maker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:49

Most of my 27 (ish) pens are european F, I really appreciate my three EF Studio as they make Ama Iro, Kon Peki and Ajisai look really nice, consistently.

My other F Studio and a Pelikan F are laying fat lines, thicker than other F nibs, it's making me think I wouldn't like anything broader.

Japanese F is too thin for me - I think if I wrote Far Eastern scripts like Japanese/Chinese characters or Korean Hangul I'd like it, but for now the European F is good enough for me.

(Hijacking my own topic but I'm intrigued by your profile pic - such a cool nib. What is it?)

#13 Albrecht17

Albrecht17

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:45

I'm still deciding what I like best. I love the broad for how nice the ink looks, but the medium and lefthanded nibs are good for long writing sessions. To make a long story short, I have no clue as of yet! 

#14 Sal the List Maker

Sal the List Maker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 10:21

I'm still deciding what I like best. I love the broad for how nice the ink looks, but the medium and lefthanded nibs are good for long writing sessions. To make a long story short, I have no clue as of yet!

Ahahah. Let us know when you do!

#15 bebox

bebox

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 48 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:03

Japanese EF or F for note-taking (sometimes a Soft-Fine)

Broad Stub and Broad Architect for letters

Flex for having fun and not being productive :)

#16 SenZen

SenZen

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,806 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 16:19

Japanese F is too thin for me - I think if I wrote Far Eastern scripts like Japanese/Chinese characters or Korean Hangul I'd like it, but for now the European F is good enough for me.

(Hijacking my own topic but I'm intrigued by your profile pic - such a cool nib. What is it?)

I don't have a japanese F but do have an EF on a Pilot Penmanship... It's barely legible!

The nib on my profile is from a Waterman Lauréat, which I eventually managed to recycle with an unbranded pen since the original insisted on discharging all its ink onto the cap... The gold has long faded, it has some sort of debris, but it's smooth.

fpn_1555517874__no_name_and_laureat.jpg

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

#17 Sal the List Maker

Sal the List Maker

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 03:44

I don't have a japanese F but do have an EF on a Pilot Penmanship... It's barely legible!

The nib on my profile is from a Waterman Lauréat, which I eventually managed to recycle with an unbranded pen since the original insisted on discharging all its ink onto the cap... The gold has long faded, it has some sort of debris, but it's smooth.

fpn_1555517874__no_name_and_laureat.jpg

Oh I'd thought the nib was decorated with sakura flowers, like lacquered on or something. I didn't realise it's only faded gold! Cool.

#18 Intensity

Intensity

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,660 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 04:46

Lamy-wise, I’ve only used the steel Safari type nibs—every kind of shape and color. I only like the stubs/italics, especially the 1.5mm one. Otherwise I dislike the super nail round tipped ones and wish for some deals on the gold nibs. I might have to downsize to one-two Lamy pens soon otherwise.

Lamy 2K with EF nib on order. Hopefully I’ll really like that nib. It was a battle between EF and BB.

“I admit it, I'm surprised that fountain pens are a hobby. ... it's a bit like stumbling into a fork convention - when you've used a fork all your life.” 

#19 Ink_Monitor

Ink_Monitor

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:07

1.5 mm cursive italic.

#20 ParkerDuofold

ParkerDuofold

Jersey Boy

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,368 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 April 2019 - 12:06

Hi Sal,

I guess I'm still a kid at heart... I still prefer Mediums and Broads... and I don't mean psychics or women of ill-repute. :rolleyes:

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Edited for typo

Edited by ParkerDuofold, 21 April 2019 - 12:07.

With thanks to my Mom & Dad; who taught me to run free, but not run wild.

Please pray the Rosary daily. Thank You, St. Jude, for favors granted. :)

Grab life with both arms and give it a bear hug every day! :D

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: nibs

Sponsored Content

|