Love For The M800

ncpenfan

They do tend to reproduce in captivity

Which is why you should never bring even one home with you unless you are fully prepared to care for an entire flock.

PELIKAN - Too many birds in the flock to count. My pen chest has proven to be a most fertile breeding ground.

fpn_1508261203__fpn_logo_300x150.jpg

THE PELIKAN'S PERCH - A growing reference site for all things Pelikan

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Lam1

• PAKMAN

• Skopa

Top Posters In This Topic

Which is why you should never bring even one home with you unless you are fully prepared to care for an entire flock.

And why you need to keep the pens totally separate from one another so there's no funny business going on while you're not looking.

And why you need to keep the pens totally separate from one another so there's no funny business going on while you're not looking.

+1

laugh.png

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

The M 800 is a great every day pen. I actually prefer the M1000 given the slight flex in the nibs. I don't find them too large as some have said, but I understand that they might feel too large for some hands.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Now you’re telling me.... :rolleyes:

I’ve been writing with only a blue M605 for more than ten years. Last december I bought a black M805 – my second Pelikan – and put them together in one pouch. Then, only a couple of weeks later, I’m suddenly stuck with a third Pelikan, a blue/black striped M805....

0b680acb-3ad0-4892-9205-79cadae90484-ori

Edited by Strangebird

I’ve been writing with only a blue M605 for more than ten years. Last december I bought a black M805 – my second Pelikan – and put them together in one pouch. Then, only a couple of weeks later, I’m suddenly stuck with a third Pelikan, a blue/black striped M805....

:lol: best post I've read all day, and that includes 3 different hobby forums. Well done!

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." -Pablo Picasso

0b680acb-3ad0-4892-9205-79cadae90484-ori

Evolution of Pens :lticaptd:

Knowledge Power

Hello, I’ve noticed that pelikan is selling the burnt orange again.

I was really tempted so I passed by a boutique and checked it out. As I already knew, the pen is fantastic, I really love the color nevertheless, I’m sure that I’d turn crazy without an ink window...

Fortunately I’ve just found a 1990 green striped one with a fine nib (nos). I hope that I’ll receive it soon and that it will be conform to my HUGE expectations

Does anybody know what Ishould expect from the 18c fine nib from this year?

Hello, I’ve noticed that pelikan is selling the burnt orange again.

I was really tempted so I passed by a boutique and checked it out. As I already knew, the pen is fantastic, I really love the color nevertheless, I’m sure that I’d turn crazy without an ink window...

Even though the Burnt Orange does not have an ink window, it is very easy to check the ink level using the light of a cell phone, for example. The Burnt Orange is one of the most beautiful M800, IMO.

And I also noticed that it reappeared in some stores.

Edited by Lam1

The step up in size between the 800 and 1000 isn't huge. I found this comparison shot -

Pelikan-Fountain-Pens-Size-Order-ALL.jpg

This review is worth reading: https://www.penaddict.com/blog/2015/3/17/pelikan-souveran-m1000-fountain-pen-review

He is right - if you try and post the 1000 it can become unwieldy - so don't post if you don't like it that way.

I don't have many Pelikans but I do have the two sterling silver Classic Pens versions (800 and 1000 based) a green stripe 800 and 1000 and an 800 sized rollerball that the seller insisted had to go with the 1000 FP.

I rather like the blue version; not so much the black. And I think prices are pretty high, but what isn't.

If you want to drool, look at https://www.pelikan-collectibles.com/en/Pelikan/Models/LE-SE/LE-M1000-Basis/index.html

You could spend years (and untold dollars) collecting just that model.

What makes it really special is the nib, which is quite different from anything else in the line - I really enjoy using mine.

Bill Spohn

Vancouver BC

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence"

Robert Fripp

https://www.rhodoworld.com/fountain-pens.html

Even though the Burnt Orange does not have an ink window, it is very easy to check the ink level using the light of a cell phone, for example. The Burnt Orange is one of the most beautiful M800, IMO.

And, I also noticed that it reappeared in some stores.

Yes, I heard about the trick with the cell phone... still not fully convinced.

IMO the turtoiseshell is the most beautiful but that one is not in any store, unfortunately...

But now that pelikan is selling the burnt orange again, I can still hope ;)

Edited by Skopa

Fair enough! In fact, not being convinced is a good strategy against the multiplication of the birds! :D

I don't think you will be able to find the M800 Tortoise in any stores, since it is from 2013 (if I recall correctly) and

sold like candy. That is, indeed, one of the most desirable M800s (and the resale prices reflect that!).

Fair enough! In fact, not being convinced is a good strategy against the multiplication of the birds! biggrin.png

I don't think you will be able to find the M800 Tortoise in any stores, since it is from 2013 (if I recall correctly) and

sold like candy. That is, indeed, one of the most desirable M800s (and the resale prices reflect that!).

Luckily, I never took a shine to any of the Tortoise models. biggrin.png Mine are just black and blue/black.

OTOH, have you acquired any new birds?

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Luckily, I never took a shine to any of the Tortoise models. biggrin.png Mine are just black and blue/black.

OTOH, have you acquired any new birds?

What? Not fond of the Brown Tortoises? :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

Heresy! :D

This year has been a bit slow so far, in what concerns birds.

But I did get the M800 Red that I was missing in my collection, and which I searched for quite some time

and a M300/K300 set, promptly confiscated by my wife :wacko: .

I also vaguely remember paying for another pen that I had the impression it was

called a M1005 Stresemann. But clearly that was just my imagination! :unsure:

Any new birds for you?

What? Not fond of the Brown Tortoises? yikes.gif yikes.gif yikes.gif

Heresy! biggrin.png

This year has been a bit slow so far, in what concerns birds.

But I did get the M800 Red that I was missing in my collection, and which I searched for quite some time

and a M300/K300 set, promptly confiscated by my wife wacko.png .

I also vaguely remember paying for another pen that I had the impression it was

called a M1005 Stresemann. But clearly that was just my imagination! unsure.png

Any new birds for you?

No new birds for me, just one Lamy Scribble MP. Looking for a M910.

As for heresy, it seems to be the norm in my case. biggrin.png Never warmed up to the Browns or Maki-e.

Glad you finally got the M800 Red. thumbup.gif Is your M800 collection now complete or does the quest continue?

An 800 for you, a 300 for her. Keeps the peace, I suppose.

It could be the M1050 instead of M1005?

Engineer :

No new birds for me, just one Lamy Scribble MP. Looking for a M910.

As for heresy, it seems to be the norm in my case. biggrin.png Never warmed up to the Browns or Maki-e.

Glad you finally got the M800 Red. thumbup.gif Is your M800 collection now complete or does the quest continue?

An 800 for you, a 300 for her. Keeps the peace, I suppose.

It could be the M1050 instead of M1005?

Oh, the M910s are a grail! Good luck getting the one you want.

My M800 collection is always increasing. I see no end to it :P

As for the M1005, it was a poor attempt at a joke with all the delays that Pelikan is

dealing us with this pen. It was supposed to be for last year, then it was announced

for March (if I'm not mistaken) and now, who knows when it will be finally released...

(they say June...).

My M800 collection is always increasing. I see no end to it tongue.png

Seems like you are on a never ending marathon. Remember to stay hydrated. biggrin.png

As for the M1005, Pelikan have a captive audience for the model.

They will continue to take their time, maybe even 2020.

Engineer :