Love For The M800

ncpenfan

I have been a fan of pelikan pens for a long time. I own a number of 200's, 400's and a 400NN. A year ago I purchased a m600 with a custom ground nib, and I was absolutely taken by it.

I always thought that the price of the m800 was too much, until recently... amazon has had some amazing deals!

I started out with a m800 green stripe with fine nib a few months ago and was hooked. It now has a m800 stresserman with a medium nib.

Both write very well. The medium nib is more of a fine, and the fine behaves like an extra fine with waterman ink.

I haven't touched any of the other pens in my collection for a while. These two have become the goto pens for work.

On weekends, I carry around a cross townsend... all metal, and easy to replace. (In fact, I purchased a rollerball for <$100, and just swapped out the front section with a stainless steel medium nib!)

Have any of you ever found the right pen, and not wanted any other? I think I have!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1nkulus

• Lam1

• PAKMAN

• Mulrich

You are the exception here. Not wanting any other? Yikes!!! Have you read any other posts? Well, don't worry. Soon enough you'll want something else, too.

I can't say that I don't want any other. Although, my desire for new pens has been decreasing.

The M800 is also one of my favorite pens, and I do have a "few" of them.

We are not alone in that too. As you can see in the following thread.

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/227946-how-many-m800s-m1000s-do-you-own/page-1

(it is always good to see this thread to reassure oneself that it is quite alright to have a dozen or so of the same pen model. After all, some folks have/had 40+ :yikes: ).

Have any of you ever found the right pen, and not wanted any other? I think I have!

several times.

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Morning from Lithuania,

Year ago I was sure that 2 Pelikan M800 is enough and enough.. now I have 7 :rolleyes: mainly in SE/LE edition and with different nibs. And I really like feeling on sundays evening when I standing in front of shelf and choosing which pen +ink will be in my penvelope for starting week :D

So, don't be sure that 2 pens is enough.. :D

Well you are lucky and have saved yourself a fortune. laugh.png As for the rest of us, the wallet is getting hammered.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

Always one of my favorite pens! Unfortunately I now have 8 M800 fountain pens and 4 BP/MPs in the 800 size! They tend to grow in number!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

The M800 is one of my all time favorites even though it doesn't make it into my regular rotation very often (I need to downsize my collection).

Regarding Pelikan, I thought I had. For years I only used an 800, and had no need for anything else. Then about 18 months ago my grip/taste changed, and I found the 800 suddenly uncomfortable. I moved down to the 600. But could only use it posted (which is also strange because at that time I stopped posting all of my other pens).

Recently I've found the 600 too small, and the 800 is still not quite right, so I've been eyeing my first 1000.

The 800 was the right pen for almost a decade. The 600 lasted about 18 months. We'll see how long I last with the 1000.

Edited by dennis_f

I have as well. Mine is a mid-90s green-stripe M800 with a fine nib (which writes a fine line), and really, it's a winner. I have no burning desire for other 800s, although there are some nice-looking ones for sure.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)

Regarding Pelikan, I thought I had. For years I only used an 800, and had no need for anything else. Then about 18 months ago my grip/taste changed, and I found the 800 suddenly uncomfortable. I moved down to the 600. But could only use it posted (which is also strange because at that time I stopped posting all of my other pens).

Recently I've found the 600 too small, and the 800 is still not quite right, so I've been eyeing my first 1000.

The 800 was the right pen for almost a decade. The 600 lasted about 18 months. We'll see how long I last with the 1000.

I finally got a M1000 and use it some but never got used to the size. Too long for a pocket carry, good for writing at my desk. Different I guess for each user.

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

I've taken a break from large bling-y pens but just yesterday got out my 2016 "nothing special" green stripe M800 and really like the weight and size. The nib, a current production EF, while not super interesting, writes quite nicely!

"If you can spend a perfectly useless afternoon in a perfectly useless manner, you have learned how to live."

– Lin Yu-T'ang

I finally got a M1000 and use it some but never got used to the size. Too long for a pocket carry, good for writing at my desk. Different I guess for each user.

I don't disagree with your thoughts on its size. Every time I look at it I think: geez that's a bat! And I feel slightly awkward about hoisting it around inside a pocket all day (I say "inside" meaning, "inside my jacket" because, yes, it's way too big for any other pocket). But uncapped it feels nearly perfect.

(Another issue I might have with it: whereas I find the linewidth of the 800s nearly perfect, the 1000 produces a very wet, very wide line... but that's not really on topic).

So I guess in answer to the OP's question: I tend to find "the right pen" every few years, and I stick with that pen for a significant amount of time. But it seems that eventually my tastes change, and my collection grows.

I was lucky... My first pen was an M800 20 years ago. I now have 3 and love them all. I am making a break away for my 65th birthday this month tho and am going for a Nakaya.... One of the few that can hold its own against those 800s..☺

Well you are lucky and have saved yourself a fortune. laugh.png As for the rest of us, the wallet is getting hammered.

Hammered continuously, but I love it. 😉

Yes I found the M1000 nib to be too juicy and made too wide a line for the nib size. Had Mike Masuyama tune and thin mine until I was happy with how it writes.

PAKMAN

So I guess in answer to the OP's question: I tend to find "the right pen" every few years, and I stick with that pen for a significant amount of time. But it seems that eventually my tastes change, and my collection grows.

+1

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

'87-90 W.German, I'd chase...that nib is that tad more springy than the later '90-97 regular flex nib (which I have in other pens.

I do have a W.Germany 200 & 600.

I'd think abut getting one from that 90-97 era ...for real cheap, now that I found out the 1005 is not quite as big a honking pen as I thought. A modern one post '97 not at all, have enough nail pens.

But I'd rather get a Grand Place 600 so I could slip on a semi-flex nib from the '50-65 era..

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.