Lamy 2000 Ef Leaks In Middle

Shrimpi

I bought the pen in 2014. Had it repaired once for this same issue some years back. When I first bought it, the Amazon site said "Lifetime Warranty," Now these pens have a two year warranty.

Some old advice on the board is to send the Pen to the manufacturer in Germany to someone else with a Lamy 2000 problem. I live in the US.

When I try to go to the Lamy site in Germany it asks for a login name and password. Perhaps it detects my IP is in the US, and then asks for the login. Maybe the site asks the same for those in Germany and Europe.

Tomorrow I will call the Lamy USA repair depot in Texas. I expect they will ask for a bunch of money.

Still, the question is, what is the current advice on what would be a good way for me to proceed? I have to compare whatever the Lamy US repair folks say, and what might happen if I pursue trying to send the Lamy 2000 to Germany. I expect both places will fix, replace Pen. So it is a question of time, and money. I also expect that the Lamy USA store will not repair it under Warranty, for just the price of shipping.

Also, what is wrong with this pen? is this pen going to leak every few years?

Thanks for advice.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shrimpi

• Ernst Bitterman

• carlos.q

• idawood

Top Posters In This Topic

The section does open. Be careful not to lose the metallic ring when you open it after emptying the ink. Apply some silicone grease on the threads. This should help if the leak was from threads and no other crack is present.

Here is a link for detailed video:

Edited by idawood

I had a somewhat older 2000 than yours (a 2008 model, I think) which developed a crack in the barrel threads. I couldn't find it until the top half of the threads came away entirely, because like an idiot I thought screwing the shell down a little harder might deal with the leak. I had the same hoop-jumping experience with Lamy online, and ended up getting the friendly local B&M to send it to the Canadian distributor on my behalf. Several months passed before I heard back from them, and it was a statement of regret that the pen was out of warranty and an offer to sell me a new one at what was essentially wholesale cost.

I'd expect similar response from Lamy USA.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

Thanks for the advice. Where would be a good place to acquire silicon grease? Brand?

Actually, as I know I have weak hands, (I am old) I tried the just tighten it down more, as I have little to lose, and my weak hands were not likely to damage it. For now the leak seems to have stopped. I suspect it will be back. I have a Lamy Al-Star and a Lamy Safari, with a refillable piston for ink. I like the way both of them write better than the Lamy 2000. Smaller Nib.

You can buy silicone grease online from some pen vendors (like Goulet) or if you have a scuba dive shop nearby you can buy it there.