Montblanc 234 1/2

alfredop

I have a Stoffhaas Montblanc 234 1/2 with a steel nib which seems not having the usual ink window, maybe I need just to better clean the pen, but I have already tried and I am now thinking that is just a variant of the model.

Any information on this?

Alfredo

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• alfredop

• CS388

• siamackz

• farmdogfan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alfredo, can you get us a picture?

My steel nibbed 234½ is one of my best writers. I can't see the ink window, because it's currently full of black ink, but I think it's plain yellow/amber? I've had a few and the ink windows have all been plain - and some of them have been so stained that they were invisible.

Try flushes and overnight soaks. Some people use a commercial penflush - or mild detergent.

Repeat and see if the ink window starts to re-appear.

There's lots to try, before having to take it apart to scrub the window (last resort).

Your greatest friend will be patience. It can take a lo-ong time!

Good luck.

Soaking in Rapido-eze will help. As far as I know the ink window was only of one kind - plain yellow which ambers to dark brown on some pen. Share a pic of yours?

My Vintage Montblanc Website--> link

Here there are some photos (let me apologize for their quality)

First of all the pen is in great condition, and you can see that the barrel has some green reflection, this is something unexpected by me since I always associated Montblanc celluloid with an amber color (made black by coloring it with black celluloid).

cSLjTdH.jpg

Ppa8IYR.jpg

Here a photo without the cap

okYqkF0.jpg

The place where the ink window should be is black and it is uniform with the remaining part of the barrel.

tiEsiy2.jpg

0ohMvLx.jpg

here again there is some green reflection

AOGSLgj.jpg

The nib is not plated, I could easily plate it, but I am not sure if this would be correct, it has the Montblanc inscription and below there is circle with 4 1/2 inside.

o4Qfe3w.jpg

My conclusions are that the barrel is green, and that it has been colored using black celluloid, the ink window has been covered with the same procedure. Could it be a work done by a restorer (in this case it made a very good job)?

Let me know what you think and ciao
Alfredo

Edited by alfredop

Very nice.

I had a 334½ which had a green ink window - and I think that these two models share the same barrel? - so it could be a green one? Rarer, than the yellow/amber I think.

But it definitely looks to be there (from your 6th picture) so should show up after some cleaning out.

You're correct. The nib should not be plated and is in its natural state.

Does it write well?

I have seen other vintage celluloid pens with the green celluloid barrel, but never these MBs. I have never seen these pens without ink windows in catalogues. Also, I have seen two MBs now without ink windows - I think these were replacement barrels by repairers back in the day. But, this is just a guess.

Ok, I made a more extensive search on internet and found some 334 1/2 and also a 234 1/2 with green barrel, so as this should not be a problem. Regarding the ink window I will try to put inside some diluited ammonia and wait a little bit more.

Ciao and thank you

Alfredo

Ok, I made a more extensive search on internet and found some 334 1/2 and also a 234 1/2 with green barrel, so as this should not be a problem. Regarding the ink window I will try to put inside some diluited ammonia and wait a little bit more.

Ciao and thank you

Alfredo

Just to clarify; I mine had a black barrel with a green window?

Yes, diluted ammonia and long soaks. And patience.

Looking forward to seeing it.

As well as being great pens to use, I like the look of them. And the green window is a nice touch.

Good luck.

Keep us updated.

Sorry but your question is not clear, anyway I have found the photo of a black 234 1/2 with a green window.

Alfredo

Yes, diluted ammonia and long soaks. And patience.

Looking forward to seeing it.

As well as being great pens to use, I like the look of them. And the green window is a nice touch.

Good luck.

Keep us updated.

I have seen green windows before but I was always told that means staining. But it is intriguing to consider that green barrels might have been used and that the original windows might have also not only been yellow.

After a whole day with inside diluited ammonia the ink window begins to appear, but without light is still invisible:post-4455-0-47336000-1555442571_thumb.jpg

Alfredo

I have one with a green ink window.

fpn_1555398736__dpp_114266.jpg

Still looks like the family of yellow to me :) Unlike the deep green of the OPs pen

Hi siamackz

No, I was talking about a deep green window, which is unmistakably green. I like farmdogfan's pen, but the 334½ I had an ink window which was a rich green colour. Barrel was black and the rest of the pen was standard.

Alfredo, nice work. It takes time, but you're getting there! Is that a white light you're shining through it? If so, then it is truly a green window.

Enjoy

Hi siamackz

No, I was talking about a deep green window, which is unmistakably green. I like farmdogfan's pen, but the 334½ I had an ink window which was a rich green colour. Barrel was black and the rest of the pen was standard.

Very interesting. I too have seen a green 136 a few weeks ago in Francis collection. But we were both wondering if it was stained or actually a different colour. I am very intrigued by this now!

Me too. Wish I'd kept it. It's the kind of pen I'd very much like to own again, now.

If my memory serves, it was a wartime pen, with the engraved capbands?

(Quite a big 'if' - it was many years ago!)

Enjoy.

Just an update after some time with the pen filled with an ammonia based detergent the ink window is still very opaque, although much more visible than some days ago. For now I decided to fill it with ink and use it, when the ink finish I will do another ammonia cycle.

Alfredo