Confession Regarding Fountain Pens...

kikopens

What I really like in a fountain pen is when the nib touches the paper, I never feel it as I move my hand along. The ink, nib and paper just melt together to create the written line.

For me it isn't just about the nib, it is also about the ink and paper.

Many say that Clairfontaine paper is "smooth as glass". But I find that it takes more effort to move the nib across the page than with Tomoe River paper or Midori MD and even some copy papers and engineer's pads that I have used.

But, all things equal, I much prefer a nib with little to no feedback, and because of this I gravitate towards wider nibs. I would love to find a EF or F with no feedback, but I haven't yet.

(and yes I am rather particular!)

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• kikopens

• 1nkulus

• bemon

Hi Bemon,

Yes. I do. :wub:

(Paranthetically, those old Eldo Touring Coupes weren't as cornball as a lot of people probably think... they weren't nearly as performance-oriented as the Allante,... but for the time... and the marque's first foray into that arena... they weren't so bad. :) ).

In fact, I started watching that show... every Sunday afternoon @ 4 pm in Jersey... in around '82 or '83, when those reviews were current. :) (Watching them on YouTube now brings back memories... some of them I even remember from their original run).

I also enjoyed the Goss' Garage segments. As strange as it seems... I was never that keen on the Future Look segments... despite it's pretty hostess... :) ...and I'm not sure why??? :huh:

Maybe because it was all too speculative... and I preferred to concentrate on hard reality. :unsure:

I think that show is still being made,... but I haven't watched it in years... these modern cars just don't capture or hold my interest.

Well, there are a scant few,... but it's not like the old days... when even utilitarian compacts would pique my curiosity. :D

Be well and have a Blessed Easter Season. :)

- Anthony

I've got a 2018 Mazda6 now, but it's only 6 months old. Before that, when I had my '09 Taurus I'd take it to mom and pop shops for things I couldn't do on my own, but that I didn't want to pay a dealer to do.

I remember dropping it off for a wheel hub replacement and asking for a ride to the subway. The mechanic says "I'll just give you a loaner for the day" and tosses me the keys to an '89 Park Ave. I think they were all sole as Electras in the States, but the same car. I was ALL smiles that day!

I blew off work for every excuse I could think of to take the car for a ride- it was in beautiful shape, and (unsurprisingly) the 3800 still pulled well. Those cars had way more get up and go than people gave them credit for, and the rides were to die for. I got back in my Taurus at the end of the day and my heart just sank- felt like I was driving a go-kart all the way home.

As for the Mazda, well it's gorgeous inside and out and absolutely sips gas. But I miss cars with personality.

Yeah...

This is quite a relateable topic. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through it. I had the same experience, where I only wanted butter smooth nibs... now I like both. I can appreciate feedback (but not scratchiness,) and I still love some of my smoother fountain pens. Pelikan is on the smoothest side of the spectrum, and Sailor has some more feedback. Yet both are some of my favorite pens.

Perfect comparison, ParkerDuofold. Throwback to the most beautiful car topic, I see... :D

After more than a half-century of life on this planet, I've finally learned to never say never. My tastes in nibs have changed and are changing as I expand my horizons. Smooth-as-glass nibs work better for me on some paper than do the ones with feedback. I have pens in each category that I enjoy using depending on my mood.

Perfect comparison, ParkerDuofold. Throwback to the most beautiful car topic, I see... :D

Thanks, WL,... :) ...I can neither corroborate or deny that statement. :rolleyes:

- Anthony

I've got a 2018 Mazda6 now, but it's only 6 months old. Before that, when I had my '09 Taurus I'd take it to mom and pop shops for things I couldn't do on my own, but that I didn't want to pay a dealer to do.

I remember dropping it off for a wheel hub replacement and asking for a ride to the subway. The mechanic says "I'll just give you a loaner for the day" and tosses me the keys to an '89 Park Ave. I think they were all sole as Electras in the States, but the same car. I was ALL smiles that day!

I blew off work for every excuse I could think of to take the car for a ride- it was in beautiful shape, and (unsurprisingly) the 3800 still pulled well. Those cars had way more get up and go than people gave them credit for, and the rides were to die for. I got back in my Taurus at the end of the day and my heart just sank- felt like I was driving a go-kart all the way home.

As for the Mazda, well it's gorgeous inside and out and absolutely sips gas. But I miss cars with personality.

Hi Bemon, et al,

Yeah,... missing cars with personality...

https://youtu.be/MvPU-cvaKCM

...you and me both. :)

My mom has an '01 Park Avenue and I love to drive it... and I got a Lexus. :o They were definitely magic carpet rides.

I'll spare you the song. :D

But just so you know... we had both Electras and Park Avenues here... it broke down as such: Electra... Electra Limited... and Electra Park Avenue... with the latter being a luxury trim package for the Electra Limited... and through most of the '80s, it's full name was "Electra Park Avenue."

But in the early '90s the Electra badge was dropped since most were sold in P.A. attire... and it just became the Buick Park Avenue.

(But what blows my mind is how popular Buicks are in China). :)

So as not to hijack this thread any further, I'll say to everyone... as general rule,... I prefer not to feel the road. :)

Bemon, please feel free to shoot me a PM if you like. :D

Be well all. :)

- Anthony

Edited for typo.

Edited by ParkerDuofold