Enamoured of vintage Snorks and TD's

KendallJ

Well, I finally decided to start collecting some vintage. After playing around with Vacumatics, and Esties, i have settled in on Sheaffer Snorks and TD's. In the last week I have picked up 5 of them. I am really enamoured with them. First off, they all cost me less than $50. They all have great gold nibs, and look great. The triumph nibs are wonderful! and the fillers, even though I scoffed at the size of the sack that goes in them, hold a long writing capacity for ink. "Da Book" claims same writing capacity with less ink because of lower evaporation.

And they come in all sorts of minute variations so picking up different ones is easy. Think I'll have to go down to the local antique fair this weekend and see if I can find a few more, maybe even do some restoration.

Does anyone else feel this way? :rolleyes:

Edited by KendallJ

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KendallJ

• Keith with a capital K

• ElaineB

• custar

I have to admit that since Sheaffer really came out with so many variations on all the Snorkel models they made from 1952 to 1959, its really very, very tempting to start a collection of these classic pens. Mostly because of the different types of nibs that were offered, makes it a real challenge to try and track down some of the more notable variations, especially those pens that offer nibs that are medium or larger in size. However, you never know where you might find one of these pens or others at in your travels.

I came across a pastel blue Saratoga that was in great shape, but needed a complete overall because it had not been used in over 45 years. The pen came with it's original box at a yard sale for $1.00, which I think was a great bargain. Sadly, its brown sister was really banged up and it's nib was missing. Nonetheless, such sales and antique shows are always a great place to find some fine writing instruments that are real treasures, albeit they are a candidate for a good restoration project.

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."

Does anyone else feel this way?  :rolleyes:

YES! But I’m nearly broke, and anyway, it’s hard to get them, here. Furthermore, let’s not forget I’m not a collector... (Just received a message that my first* Sheaffer snorkel has been shipped...)

*delete “first”.

Good for you, Kendall! They are wonderful pens and make for an interesting collection. And talk about getting a dose of 1950s pastels!

best, Dan

YAY, Kendall! Snorks and Touchdowns are among my favorites. Good choice. My very favorite pen in the world right now is a blue 1949 Touchdown with a medium Triumph nib. A beautiful writer, and the blue and gold of the nib/barrel/cap are very appealing. It's the pen I reach for whenever I have an extended writing task to do.

ElaineB

Back from vacation in body if not in mind. (Not after an 18-hour fiasco at two airports, trying to get home with two kids in tow...)

• 2 weeks later...

I have always been amazed that Snorkels and Touchdowns don't get the attention that pens like the Parker "51" do as I consider them to be superior in nearly every respect.

They are finshed better, perform equally well, and will get nearly the same mileage on a smaller quantity of ink.

The open nibbed models are my favourites.

Please visit http://members.shaw.ca/feynn/

Please direct repair inquiries to capitalpen@shaw.ca

Amen to that, brothers & sisters!

I just finally finished my first set of restorations on several TD's and Snorks, and I have to say that I am just amazed at these nibs. Hardly any adjustment was needed and only minor smoothing on almost all of these nibs, and they seem to have great QC (no asymetric slits or poorly formed balls). Great nibs to work with!

Now that I have my "nib floss" sheets, I"m ending up with almost perfect nibs in a matter of minutes!

I hope to post some pics later today.

A few of the new restorations might go up on the Marketplace, but I'm having too much fun with them right now. Keep and eye out though ;)

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

Undoubtedly one of the attractions of the Snorkels is the ease of repair/restoration. Much easier to refurbish a Snork than a Vacumatic or a Sheaffer vac-filler.

Also, if you stick with the more common black sections, you can pretty much interchange nibs by swapping the nib and section.

custar

A few of the new restorations might go up on the Marketplace, but I'm having too much fun with them right now. Keep and eye out though ;)

Will do, Kendall! B)

I too am developing a strong interest in early Sheaffers - specifically those with the 2-tone Triumph nibs (I vaguely remember reading that ElaineB is quite fond of these nibs too). They just look too cool.

Just got my first one 2 weeks ago, still uninked (not for long) but I give it a good ogle about twice a day.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

I love my Snorkels and TDs, too! What you said about their ease of restoration (c/f to Sheaffer vac-fillers) is so true, custar... I bought a couple of sets of seals and some sacs for them and fixed up a few that I recently acquired in a trade--a nice grey Touchdown filler with a springy open nib, a fatter Tuckaway TD with a Triumph nib, a navy blue Imperial TD filler, and a blue Snorkel with a nice open nib. Three great nib styles from Sheaffer, too! :D