New Mb149 - Arrived Today - Questions About Nib

Ius est vigilantibus

The feed is not centered to the nib, it may make no difference in writing but bugs some people ;)

Paul

You just don't want him to get any sleep, do you.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ius est vigilantibus

• Charles Rice

• NeverTapOut

• meiers

Here's how to fix the problem:

Take a jigger of gin

A jigger of vodka

Two jiggers of Bourbon

Drink it all and you won't give a d@mn, :)

The feed is not centered to the nib, it may make no difference in writing but bugs some people ;)

Paul

I wondered about that. I thought it might just be the camera angle, or light and shadow? If you look at the very first picture in this thread, it looks pretty good.

Heidegger, personally I'd probably just keep writing with it and see if it settles into your style. I'm sure that many of my own pens have slight discrepancies, under close inspection.

However, if you live near a MB boutique, you could take it in and a technician would be able to do any small tweaks there and then. Either way, it could put your mind at rest. These pens are a significant investment and peace of mind is an important aspect of that transaction.

Enjoy.

CS388,

It's off a little bit. But I don't notice a difference actually when writing...

Yeah, I mean, I have lots of fountain pens and I have seen misaligned feeds, tines, clips bending easily, you name it. Or the Duofold brass logo on the cap falling off, that was a weird event. I just glued it on there again.

Yeah, I bought the pen at La Couronne. I only buy pens there, since I like Dennis and Willem and Rik too a lot.

I'm not sure after waiting for a month for this pen, if I want to send it back for a slightly misaligned feed when it's writing just fine.

Is the feed 'situation' a bad thing? I mean, I'm not going to fiddle around with a 800 euro pen.

Thanks again for easing my mind, I'm getting a glass of Lagavulin.

Edited by Heidegger

If you're worried about centering the feed/nib, that takes less time to do than to write this. Mine's a bit off center, too. Big deal.

So it doesn't impact the functioning of the pen? Well, then it's fine. I'm not looking at the feed when writing anyway.

I am reminded of a hunting trip to Wyoming with my father many years ago. We drove out in his new pick-up. When I decided that the tailgate was a good place to put the Coleman Stove to cook lunch, he went nuts thinking that I might have scratched it. I didn't - unless you pulled out a magnifying glass. He obsessed about it all the way back.

So what happens when he gets back home in Minnesota? He backs into a tree.

Thats a great story, reminds me of building computers. Dont damage the motherboard!

*drops a screw on MoBo*

Oh no, now its ruined.

MoBo worked just fine.

Oh well.

And adjust it, and adjust it, and adjust it, and end up with a mess.

Let the poor boy get some sleep and not obsess.

Remember, as you use the pen it will conform to your writing style. Someone out there once got a "perfectly" aligned pen, but after a few years of use, guess what, the nib somehow lost its perfection.

If you don't now how to adjust a nib then don't. I even suggested coming back here for help.

Your last two sentences contradict each other.

If you want less blah, blah, blah and more pictures, follow me on Instagram!

If you don't know how to adjust a nib then don't. I even suggested coming back here for help.....

I have often received excellent advice on this forum. Edited by meiers

Congratulations on your new 149! Enjoy the medium nib.

My husband and daughter purchased a MB Unicef 146 for me when they were at the Hong Kong MB boutique. It had a medium nib, which was good but I really wanted an OB. I sent it to MB's Fort Worth repair center to change out the nib. After 8 weeks, it arrived yesterday! And this brand new OB nib is very slightly off in alignment but not enough to be noticeable in my writing. I am not about to send it back. If I make it to the SF pen show, I will have Mike properly adjust it for me (along with several others that need a nib adjustment).

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Thank you for explaining this! It is very helpful!

here is how to look at the nib:

fpn_1555011590__how_to_check_your_tippin

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours. When it is gone, it is gone. Be wise, but enjoy! - anonymous today

Did I say something wrong? Or was it directed at Charles?

Thanks DrPenfection.
Meiers, what a coincidence! I also like Arendt! :D I wrote several papers on her with regards to the notion of 'virtu' in Machiavelli and Arendt's view of politics. Strange similarities!

Edit: just to be crystal clear, political philosophy. Political science, no thank you. ;)

Edited by Heidegger

Your last two sentences contradict each other.

Only if you don't understand it. OK, I'll make it easy for you. You might get a perfectly aligned nib, but after years of use, your individual style might well cause it to look misaligned. Got it?

Edited by Charles Rice

Thanks to everyone again and sorry for maybe being a little bit too pedantic. Ill try to worry less about minor imperfections.

Warm greetings,

Heidegger

the nib is out of alignment, but how much is not clear from the photos. A straight on shot is not how you want to look at the nib. you want to start but holding the pen parallel to the ground with the feed side up. Then lower the rear of the pen far enough to approximate your writing angle (usually about 50 degrees). Now look at the tipping with a loupe and see if the tines are off. You need to look at the nib at the angle it touches the paper.

+1 out of alignment...zaddick is always right. when you spend that amount of money on a pen you want it to be right. if your gut is saying its off...it's usually off. I adjust mine myself now...however I would go back to the boutique or a nibmeister and pay $20. they will not only adjust the nib...they will smooth it out...and adjust the nib to your desired wetness. I practiced on Goulet nibs...I would not practice on your MB nib. Plus you paid a lot (a relative term) $20 is nothing...almost expected.

Edited by JesusNeverTappedOut