The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

I Successfully Fixed My Crooked Visconti Spring Clip!

visconti clip crooked repair

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 esteroids

esteroids

Extremely Rare

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 00:29

For those of you who've had this problem and looked closely at it, I'm sure you've seen the little spring behind the top of the clip. I'm sure you've suspected something about that spring was the source of your stress. It was.

The disc you see in the picture is inside the cap, below the magnetic finial. I made a rudimentary tool to unscrew it (regular thread, CCW to loosen). First I removed the adjustable stop ring in the cap (this is reverse thread).

47529683192_a7e00164ea_m.jpg 47529683062_36b10b3849_m.jpg

The problem is that the ends of the spring aren't ground flat. If the spring turns such a way as the end of the coil spring seats crooked on the clip it pushes on the back of the clip at an angle. I tried to turn the spring in place but it it so compressed that I couldn't budge it. It had to come out. I ground the ends flat, as you might see on a valve spring, and put it back together. 

O frabjous day! It's fixed!

47529683462_71e7dfb48c_m.jpg

Sponsored Content

#2 farazqamar

farazqamar

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 224 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 08:15

Congrats. Can you please post a picture of the tool you used to unscrew? Cheers.

#3 Seney724

Seney724

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 14:28

For those of you who've had this problem and looked closely at it, I'm sure you've seen the little spring behind the top of the clip. I'm sure you've suspected something about that spring was the source of your stress. It was.

The disc you see in the picture is inside the cap, below the magnetic finial. I made a rudimentary tool to unscrew it (regular thread, CCW to loosen). First I removed the adjustable stop ring in the cap (this is reverse thread).

47529683192_a7e00164ea_m.jpg 47529683062_36b10b3849_m.jpg

The problem is that the ends of the spring aren't ground flat. If the spring turns such a way as the end of the coil spring seats crooked on the clip it pushes on the back of the clip at an angle. I tried to turn the spring in place but it it so compressed that I couldn't budge it. It had to come out. I ground the ends flat, as you might see on a valve spring, and put it back together. 

O frabjous day! It's fixed!

47529683462_71e7dfb48c_m.jpg

Strong work!!

Thanks for sharing.

#4 PAKMAN

PAKMAN

Say that again, I have a pen here somewhere...

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,454 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 15:11

Awesome! I hope Visconti sees this and makes an easy adjustment to their manufacturing process to fix this issue!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif             fpn_1321906507__vanness_sign.jpg 

My Favorite Pen Restorer                            My favorite Brick and Mortar              

now selling online!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: visconti, clip, crooked, repair

Sponsored Content

|