A Shoutout For Tactical Pens

Sui-Generis

Okay, sure, a lot of the driving force behind "tactical" pens is pure hype, appealing to the target audience of men for being something manly and to women for being some discrete way to defend themselves against the onslaught of touchy feely brigands, but hear me out.

I've been using tactical pens as my main carry writing implement for the last eight or nine years now, the first and possibly most significant of which was this Schrade, still in use today.

post-148485-0-50622800-1554844559_thumb.jpg

I say it is the most significant, because that is the one that got the ball rolling for me on tactical writing implements, not because I had visions of taking on ISIS with a pen but because it quickly became apparent that this pen would never let me down, no matter what it was I put it through.

Now let me tell you, that Schrade...as you can see, bears many scars. It was carried clipped to the inside of my left front trouser pocket for years, that same pocket is where loose change, keys and other random bits and pieces get thrown (right pocket is reserved for my penknife and completely out of bounds to everything else), I've used it as a handle to carry heavy shopping bags and even, once, as a punch (with the aid of the heel of my boot) to make holes in plasterboard (drywall) to run network cables through on a job.

The cap still fits perfectly and it still writes thanks to the exceptionally reliable Fisher Space Pen refill (yes I am aware it isn't the most pleasant thing to write with, but it is very reliable!).

Speaking of running network cables brings me onto my job, I work in IT as kind of a jack-of-all (most?)-trades technician and tutor in a small IT recycling and training company, before that I worked as a full time technician doing on-site support. I roll around on the floor under desks. A lot. With a tactical pen I never have to worry about breaking it while it's in my pocket, I know when it comes to jotting down the next note that it'll work, every time.

Now, over the years, there have been a lot of tac pens go through my hands. From the expensive SureFire EWP-01 and CountyComm Titanium Embassy to random, no brand ones from AliExpress, but I have finally (for now) settled on one that ticks all my boxes.

post-148485-0-36600800-1554845193_thumb.jpg

The MecArmy TPX-22, skeletonised titanium, tungsten carbide glass breaker (never had to use it, hope I never will), lightweight, takes a regular Parker/Fisher Space Pen type refill and is 'regular' pen sized (some tac pens are comically huge).

So, while tactical pens may be scoffed at for being garish, gimmicky nonsense marketed at basement warriors, they are actually incredibly useful day to day writers that shouldn't be overlooked!

Arguing with people on the Internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will just knock the pieces over, s**t on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usk15

• ParramattaPaul

• Honeybadgers

• Sui-Generis

I have a Schrade Tactical fountain pen which I bought during my initial overly enthusiastic phase of fountain pen acquisition. The original IPG nib was not very good, but after swapping in a Goulet #6 nib, it writes quite acceptably. It has a swappable section which turns it into a rollerball, using Schmidt 888 refills. You can also put a Pilot G2 gel refill in there, although it's a very tight fit. Unfortunately, with either configuration, it's too fat to hold comfortably, and it just sits in a cup now in its rollerball configuration.

Here's a question which is meant in all seriousness. How would you define a "tactical" pen? Is it enough that it be ruggedized, or does it need other characteristics? My Schrade, for example, is supposed to be usable as a kubotan when capped, although I'm unlikely to be carrying it if the occasion arises. I can't run as fast as I used to either.

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I think the general characteristics that would define a 'tactical' pen would be:

1) Exceptional robustness
2) Can be used as a force multiplier and/or kubaton

Everything else, in my opinion, is just window-dressing.

I watched a video once, years ago, on 'correct' use of a tactical pen in a defence situation, and there was a lot of emphasis on either using it as a force multiplier (a hard blow using the end of the pen to bony areas such as the collarbones or temples) or in using it to exert concentrated pressure in a small area such as directly across the wrist in a hold. The idea being to cause as much pain as possible without actually causing permanent damage to your assailant.

Only thing I've ever had to attack with mine was that drywall. :lticaptd:

Jealous of your Schrade fountain pen! I saw those years ago & was tempted to pick one up, alas by the time I actually got into fountain pens it had been long since discontinued.

Edited by Sui-Generis

Arguing with people on the Internet is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will just knock the pieces over, s**t on the board and strut around like it's victorious.

Yes! The unique original tactical....Me rOtring 600 able to destroy carbon copy paper.. {manifold nib}

NCR { non-carbon paper } and in a pinch flay a deer...........

Fred

I say what's the big idea chasing my worm....You're a cat..son.

Cats don't eat worms....Your takin' food right outta my mouth.

~ Foghorn Leghorn

Been considering the Karas EDK, what's your rating on it USK? I have a Karas K in copper that I love though the nib is horrible & needs replacing, it's on my to do list.

Different strokes. I think of myself that I have many different Parker ballpoint pens, all with the same Parker ballpoint refill, and other ballpoint pens. Each of the pens make me happy when I'm using them, and I carry whichever I'm in the mood to carry, or just grab one in the morning when I'm getting dressed and enjoy it all the same. If you enjoy or benefit from whatever you choose, more power to you.

On the practical side I have several pens that are stout enough, which I consider as I choose which to carry when I travel, though I would hope to never use for any other reason than writing -- but they are stout and have the benefit of being and looking like the ordinary ballpoint pens that they are.

- Ira

"tactical pen" is such a stupid notion. The closest thing I've done with a pen that could be considered that would be when I (once) used my delike alpha to pop a car window when my glass breaker failed and there was an unconscious/not breathing patient inside. The slightly raised point on the pen's cap placed against the bottom corner was enough to blow the window, though it was likely already under a lot of stress due to the passenger cell deformation.

I'd have definitely destroyed any ballpoint/rollerball with a tail clicker doing that. The fountain pen survived, but it's not a "tactical" pen.

That said, unless any of y'all are paramedics who expect your tools to fail (firefighters would have had a windshield saw at hand) or literally in the field as a soldier who needs a writing tool that isn't shiny and reflective to give away your position (hence why WWII soldier pens had half-clips, so they were hidden under the fold of a breast pocket) the notion of a tactical pen is just stupid. Like what you like, there's nothing wrong with any of the pens listed, but describing any of them as "tactical" when they serve no genuine purpose beyond just being a writing tool is asinine marketing. Now, if the pen concealed a shiv, we might be on to something, but then you'd be in a whole other can of worms depending on where you live, and deploying that kind of tool would be slow and ungainly.

I hate the "EDC" movement too. I carry a phone and a wallet every day. They aren't "EDC". "EDC" generally only refers to the equipment I carry on my person that is not your typical phone, wallet, keys, pocket knife and maybe a pen/paper. Stuff that everyone would consider normal is not "EDC." My leatherman raptor, glass breaker, pager, stethoscope, surgical tape, handcuff/restraint keys, etc. are "EDC" items that I use when on duty.

And if any of you genuinely think a pen will help you in a self-defense situation, you're sorely mistaken. Someone who genuinely wants to hurt you is only barely going to be dissuaded by pepper spray and maybe a stab wound from a pocket knife. But I've had patients with a through and through that were walking, talking, and completely able to keep going if they needed to. If you want self defense, you want a knife or pepper spray, but one other problem the idea of "Self defense" tools have is that they can make people forget what is often the best idea- run the hell away. Do not ever think that you will definitely stop an assailant without the use of deadly force.

Sorry, I'll get down off my soapbox. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with any of the pens listed. I just take issue with the nomenclature and feeding into the idea of EDC, because quite often, people who get suckered into the "EDC" idea also get indoctrinated into the idea of a concealed carry permit and other kinds of vigilante justice in the name of "self defense", which is the bane of my (bleep) existence as a paramedic. 99.99% of people with CCW's are more dangerous to themselves and the public than they are useful in self-defense situations. I've had a patient injured by a stray bullet fired by a CCW civilian who very inappropriately discharged his weapon at a fleeing mugger. That person was also charged with a crime. The rise of "self defense" has just given rise to more injuries that could have been prevented by 1.) fleeing and/or 2.) calling the police. "EDC" and "tactical" "lifestyles" are just bad for society. The internet and cable news have just made everyone think that the next life-threatening situation is just around the corner for them and that they're the only one who might be able to stop it. Cops work great. It's why we have 'em. I'm also pretty good at keeping you out of a coffin. Leave it to the professionals.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Sorry Badger, but I think your...obvious, dislike for the "EDC Movement" has possibly clouded your response to my thread here.

I didn't post with the intent of "Hurhurhur, look at this pen that I can kill an elk with at 100 paces" more I wanted to point out that, branded as 'tactical' or not, these are decent and extremely robust writing implements that, if you were in a more "rough & tumble" environment would serve well.

I also think your take on EDC is somewhat wonky, your description of "phone, wallet, keys, pocket knife, pen/paper" are exactly what EDC is, it's right there in the name. Everyone has an EDC, like it or not.

Now I will be the first to admit that some people, like with any hobby or interest, take it a little far. When you are carrying 4 different knives, two flashlights and 3 different multitools as your EDC, perhaps you need to rethink things a smidgen.

"tactical pen" is such a stupid notion. The closest thing I've done with a pen that could be considered that would be when I (once) used my delike alpha to pop a car window when my glass breaker failed and there was an unconscious/not breathing patient inside. The slightly raised point on the pen's cap placed against the bottom corner was enough to blow the window, though it was likely already under a lot of stress due to the passenger cell deformation.

I'd have definitely destroyed any ballpoint/rollerball with a tail clicker doing that. The fountain pen survived, but it's not a "tactical" pen.

That said, unless any of y'all are paramedics who expect your tools to fail (firefighters would have had a windshield saw at hand) or literally in the field as a soldier who needs a writing tool that isn't shiny and reflective to give away your position (hence why WWII soldier pens had half-clips, so they were hidden under the fold of a breast pocket) the notion of a tactical pen is just stupid. Like what you like, there's nothing wrong with any of the pens listed, but describing any of them as "tactical" when they serve no genuine purpose beyond just being a writing tool is asinine marketing. Now, if the pen concealed a shiv, we might be on to something, but then you'd be in a whole other can of worms depending on where you live, and deploying that kind of tool would be slow and ungainly.

I hate the "EDC" movement too. I carry a phone and a wallet every day. They aren't "EDC". "EDC" generally only refers to the equipment I carry on my person that is not your typical phone, wallet, keys, pocket knife and maybe a pen/paper. Stuff that everyone would consider normal is not "EDC." My leatherman raptor, glass breaker, pager, stethoscope, surgical tape, handcuff/restraint keys, etc. are "EDC" items that I use when on duty.

And if any of you genuinely think a pen will help you in a self-defense situation, you're sorely mistaken. Someone who genuinely wants to hurt you is only barely going to be dissuaded by pepper spray and maybe a stab wound from a pocket knife. But I've had patients with a through and through that were walking, talking, and completely able to keep going if they needed to. If you want self defense, you want a knife or pepper spray, but one other problem the idea of "Self defense" tools have is that they can make people forget what is often the best idea- run the hell away. Do not ever think that you will definitely stop an assailant without the use of deadly force.

Sorry, I'll get down off my soapbox. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with any of the pens listed. I just take issue with the nomenclature and feeding into the idea of EDC, because quite often, people who get suckered into the "EDC" idea also get indoctrinated into the idea of a concealed carry permit and other kinds of vigilante justice in the name of "self defense", which is the bane of my (bleep) existence as a paramedic. 99.99% of people with CCW's are more dangerous to themselves and the public than they are useful in self-defense situations. I've had a patient injured by a stray bullet fired by a CCW civilian who very inappropriately discharged his weapon at a fleeing mugger. That person was also charged with a crime. The rise of "self defense" has just given rise to more injuries that could have been prevented by 1.) fleeing and/or 2.) calling the police. "EDC" and "tactical" "lifestyles" are just bad for society. The internet and cable news have just made everyone think that the next life-threatening situation is just around the corner for them and that they're the only one who might be able to stop it. Cops work great. It's why we have 'em. I'm also pretty good at keeping you out of a coffin. Leave it to the professionals.

I agree with much of what you say. For me a pen is a tool for writing with. I disagree with your 99.99% statistic about CCW. Fleeing is the best option when possible. Relying on the police is not. I have great respect for them and have relatives that were/are LEOs. That said the police are often (many) minutes away when seconds count here in rural America. They are not here to protect us from crime but to take a report after the crime has been committed.

"Never take a Pen to a Knife fight even though The Pen is mightier than the Sword." (you may quote me on that)

I spent 25 years in the city of SF and always had a steel bodied sturdy ballpoint pen in my pocket, that I thought might be useful in a close encounter with an undesirable. I now go to SF once or twice a week for business. With the pen point extended I thought it would penetrate an exposed soft tissue area (like the neck or hand or face) of a perpetrator or crazy person that wanted to do me harm. Maybe not stopping them, but temporarily distracting them so I could RUN.

I figured "something is better than nothing" and happy that I never had to "draw" my pen for that purpose.

I'm going to have to get one of the MecArmy TPX-22.

THanks for making this a topic !!!

George

"...though the pen is mightier than the sword, the sword speaks louder and stronger at any given moment."

Leonard Wibberley - The Mouse That Roared

If the occasion for using my Schrade as a kubotan ever came up, as I mentioned before, I most likely wouldn't have it with me, so the point is moot. I do have a number of rugged ballpoint pens, but the ones that are nicest to write with, and therefore most likely to be carried with me, are fountain pens, and not particularly rugged. The Monteverde tool pens are interesting, but not interesting enough that I'd actually buy one; I generally have a Leatherman with me if I need a screwdriver or other tools.

What I find interesting is the specific use of the word tactical to mean rugged military style gear. As a chess player from an early age, I'm used to different meanings for tactics and tactical. "Tactics is what you do when there is something to do. Strategy is what you do when there is nothing to do." Using it in the sense of this thread is a little odd to me, although it's probably more common.

If you like an ultra rugged pen that can take a beating, why worry what anybody else thinks? :)

"So convenient a thing it is to be a reasonable creature, since it enables one to find or make a reason for everything one has a mind to do."

- Benjamin Franklin

I suppose tactical pens are OK if that's your thing; I have no experience with them. When I was in the Army, a "tactical pen" was the Skilcraft ballpoint you got from supply or the space pen you bought at the PX if you felt like spending the money. The main requirement was to be reliable, write under just about any conditions, and fit in the pen slot of your BDU pocket. My requirements for a pen are pretty much the same today, although I no longer wear BDUs and I'm a little pickier about how the pen actually writes.

Edited by dkirchge

-- Doug K.

Wow..such strong emotions..and words....Who knew...Save it

for the semi or is it a full tactical?

Level L5 with revolutionary refilling system..which comes with

pen holder and integrated ink bottle..Is it really one? {ie edc tactical}

Can it be refilled in 2019?

Fred

....There are no stupid questions..but

there are a lot of inquisitive idiots....

Demotivator of the day...and listening to

Shaft..performed by The Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain.......

I have to say, some of the responses to my thread here have left me somewhat...frustrated.

My intent was to help lift a modicum of the stigma that tactical pens generate and put them forward as good, tough everyday writers.

Instead, an awful lot of the responses (I'm looking at you Badger) have done the exact opposite and fixated on the marketing rather than the pens in question.

Indeed there are a good few pens out there that would meet the 'tactical' criteria (practically anything from Karas Kustoms for example) that aren't marketed as such and, on the whole, people are quite respectful of.

I didn't choose what to call them, they are called what they are called. That doesn't change what they are at the core, pens!

This IS a place that we all enjoy pens and writing, right? Or did I take a wrong turn?

Edited by Sui-Generis

Please note that if you fly, many of the “purpose designed” tactical pens can and will draw the attention of the TSA. You will end up having to check the pen in your bag or you will lose the pen. In the vein, my got to tactical pens are the all steel Parker Jotters or the new “all-metal” Pilot 701s.

Subtle enough to pass security, strong enough to leave a mark.

YMMV Greatly

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry Badger, but I think your...obvious, dislike for the "EDC Movement" has possibly clouded your response to my thread here.

I didn't post with the intent of "Hurhurhur, look at this pen that I can kill an elk with at 100 paces" more I wanted to point out that, branded as 'tactical' or not, these are decent and extremely robust writing implements that, if you were in a more "rough & tumble" environment would serve well.

I also think your take on EDC is somewhat wonky, your description of "phone, wallet, keys, pocket knife, pen/paper" are exactly what EDC is, it's right there in the name. Everyone has an EDC, like it or not.

Now I will be the first to admit that some people, like with any hobby or interest, take it a little far. When you are carrying 4 different knives, two flashlights and 3 different multitools as your EDC, perhaps you need to rethink things a smidgen.

All fair points and I readily admit my disdain for the "EDC" movement is personal opinion. Lots of EDC people would call me mad for having nearly ten grand in fountain pens.

My only point would be that unless you're EXTREMELY well trained in hand to hand combat, the idea of an "EDC" pen for self defense puts you in an exponentially more dangerous situation if you attempt to defend yourself, either through failure OR success (stand your ground doctrine does not apply in most situations if you could have attempted to flee but did not - making your "self defense" into assault with a deadly weapon)

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Please note that if you fly, many of the “purpose designed” tactical pens can and will draw the attention of the TSA. You will end up having to check the pen in your bag or you will lose the pen. In the vein, my got to tactical pens are the all steel Parker Jotters or the new “all-metal” Pilot 701s.

Subtle enough to pass security, strong enough to leave a mark.

YMMV Greatly

If you're in a position where you are considering using a fountain pen to defend yourself...

Turn the F around and run away. In the USA at least, you are RARELY protected by the stand your ground doctrine, and if you could have run but instead tried to use a pen to injure your potential assailant, you're at best getting away with it and having your pen taken as evidence, most likely going to be badly hurt or killed by your assailant who likely had the idea of bringing a knife or gun to this fight (I've seen the bloody results of a victim who resisted being stabbed viciously by an assailant when he tried to defend himself instead of just giving the mugger his wallet or running) and at worst, you're being brought up on charges of assault with a deadly weapon or manslaughter for not correctly using your judgement and fleeing the situation.

I have to say, some of the responses to my thread here have left me somewhat...frustrated.

My intent was to help lift a modicum of the stigma that tactical pens generate and put them forward as good, tough everyday writers.

Instead, an awful lot of the responses (I'm looking at you Badger) have done the exact opposite and fixated on the marketing rather than the pens in question.

Indeed there are a good few pens out there that would meet the 'tactical' criteria (practically anything from Karas Kustoms for example) that aren't marketed as such and, on the whole, people are quite respectful of.

I didn't choose what to call them, they are called what they are called. That doesn't change what they are at the core, pens!

This IS a place that we all enjoy pens and writing, right? Or did I take a wrong turn?

Sorry, I know I got hung up on the nomenclature, and I respect your point of view on them 100%. I just dislike the idea of calling anything tactical because of how many people I've seen badly injured because they actually believed the marketing hype and thought that they could defend themselves in dangerous situations with things like pens (seen it) or shoes (seen it) or a padlock in the hand (seen it) even a knife (seen it, if the other guy has a gun, you're going to be shot immediately) or scissors (seen it, the other dude had a hatchet and it went very badly)

Sure, the tide pod challenge started out funny and innocently enough but it metamorphosed into so many (bleep) 911 calls for me that It makes me sick.

I'm a paramedic. Show me a fad and I'll show you a hundred people that fad has injured. It's just kind of hard wired after nearly a decade in the field.

EDC is actually a nice simple term for "tough and reliable" but culture has shifted and mutated it into marketing people towards vigilante justice.

Edited by Honeybadgers