The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Sheaffer Stub Nibs - PFM V

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_PeteWK_*

Guest_PeteWK_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:12

PFM V - my very favorite writing pen.

Attached Images

• 1960.jpg
  • 1960_1.jpg
  • 1960_2.jpg

Edited by PeteWK, 23 June 2007 - 05:13.

Sponsored Content

#2 sheafferkid

sheafferkid

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 23 June 2007 - 03:21

I really love the PFM. Don't have one, but I love the look of them. The Snorkel mechanism is great (I totally agree with you that it is the best filling system in the world!) I have a TM Snorkel Crest set that I love. Haven't stumbled upon any factory stubs yet, but one day I might! So how much would a PFM III be worth with a factory stub on it? Great review! Makes me want to get one!

Evan
Sheaffer all the way!

#3 Guest_PeteWK_*

Guest_PeteWK_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2007 - 22:57

QUOTE(sheafferkid @ Jun 23 2007, 03:21 AM) View Post
I really love the PFM. Don't have one, but I love the look of them. The Snorkel mechanism is great (I totally agree with you that it is the best filling system in the world!) I have a TM Snorkel Crest set that I love. Haven't stumbled upon any factory stubs yet, but one day I might! So how much would a PFM III be worth with a factory stub on it? Great review! Makes me want to get one!

Evan

That's hard to answer because they're so infrequent. The last one I saw was pulled off after a couple of days on eBay. I would say a run of the mill pen that would have cost 150 dollars (III) would cost about 200-225. Maybe more if the right two people really wanted it.

PeteWK

#4 sheafferkid

sheafferkid

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 28 June 2007 - 23:12

QUOTE(PeteWK @ Jun 28 2007, 05:57 PM) View Post
QUOTE(sheafferkid @ Jun 23 2007, 03:21 AM) View Post

Evan

That's hard to answer because they're so infrequent. The last one I saw was pulled off after a couple of days on eBay. I would say a run of the mill pen that would have cost 150 dollars (III) would cost about 200-225. Maybe more if the right two people really wanted it.

PeteWK

Wow! Yea, makes me want to get one quite badly...it might be hard to write with a broad stub on college ruled looseleaf though...

Evan
Sheaffer all the way!

#5 Guest_PeteWK_*

Guest_PeteWK_*
  • Guests

Posted 29 June 2007 - 21:14

[/quote]

Wow! Yea, makes me want to get one quite badly...it might be hard to write with a broad stub on college ruled looseleaf though...

Evan
[/quote]

Not really. All you need to do is invest money in a good notebook. I generally use a high grade writing paper but when I've used notebooks I've put in the extra scratch for a Mead with thick paper. It keeps the ink from feathering. In that case, the stub will work fine.

PeteWK

#6 andyslo

andyslo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 112 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:23

My PFM that I got of the green board is one of the 2-3 top writing pens I own of all prices and flavors. I also prefer the metal caps, and for whatever reason the size and girth are perfect for me. The snorkle systerm helps me slurp that last quarter inch of ink while my piston Tibaldi's and Pelikans' had to wait for the ink man to arrive with new bottles. I was lucky to get such a great example from a nice person (thanks G.M!) that was much nicer than I anticipated. I am constantly surprised how well it writes and while the P51 probably wins out with regards to durability, the size of the PFM (for me) puts it over the top. Now I'll have to find a factory stub!
Freedom Exists by Virtue of Me Moderating You.

#7 Guest_PeteWK_*

Guest_PeteWK_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 July 2007 - 18:24

QUOTE(andyslo @ Jul 1 2007, 02:23 AM) View Post
My PFM that I got of the green board is one of the 2-3 top writing pens I own of all prices and flavors. I also prefer the metal caps, and for whatever reason the size and girth are perfect for me. The snorkle systerm helps me slurp that last quarter inch of ink while my piston Tibaldi's and Pelikans' had to wait for the ink man to arrive with new bottles. I was lucky to get such a great example from a nice person (thanks G.M!) that was much nicer than I anticipated. I am constantly surprised how well it writes and while the P51 probably wins out with regards to durability, the size of the PFM (for me) puts it over the top. Now I'll have to find a factory stub!

Good luck finding the stub. I'd like to have a second one but I'm still waiting. I did, however, get my hands on a Green Paladium Silver Broad nib. I'm waiting for the right I or II in Green to come along on eBay. The sad thing is that I sold a nice Green II with a nearly perfect cap not three months ago. <sigh>

PeteWK

#8 miko

miko

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 06 June 2008 - 18:18

Great pen and review. My only complaint with my very broad, broad V is that it holds less than a page worth of ink. Snorks are great for light writing, but if one must write a great deal. it's extra fine or an ink bottle...

#9 jonro

jonro

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 07 June 2008 - 03:42

Another PFM fan here. Great size, great balance, great nib, great filling system. What is not to like. So far, I've never come across a factory stub, but you never know what the future will bring. I wish Sheaffer would release a true modern version of the PFM.

#10 RoyalKooparillo

RoyalKooparillo

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 17:14

I really enjoyed this review...It has me looking around for a factory stub. And I really love that ink! I wonder what it was?

Sponsored Content

|