Anyone seen a white pearlized Estie?

ReNew-Nib-o-holic

Hello Everyone!

Just entered, and wanted to share a good estie story. I used to sell them in my Dad's pharmacy in the early 60's and still have one that I use every day. Boy do I wish I had saved those pens and nibs!

Favorite nibs are the 3000's; I was fortunate to find an 8440 in mint condition that certainly must be the most beautiful Estie nib...

If anyone ever sees a white pearlized Estie, I'd love to purchase it...thanks for keeping your eyes open. :D

Regards, Ellis

"My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane"

-Graham Greene, author and world traveler

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• ReNew-Nib-o-holic

• Elaine

• Brian Anderson

Top Posters In This Topic

Did they make pens in white pearl? If so, I'd love to see one! :drool: The only white Esties I know about are the doctor and nurse pens and the purse pens.

Edited by Elaine

Did they make a white pearl??? Well....., I have seen a white pearl pencil before, similar to the yellow cracked ice, but lighter, so it could have been a discolored cracked ice, or it could have been white. Hard to tell. Regardless, look long and hard, it might be a while before you'll dig one up. They aren't very common.

Best-

Brian

www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

Welcome to FPN, Ellis--you'll probably run into a few other Renew nib-O-holics around here! We wish you'd have saved those pens & nibs, too!

Best regards,

Ann

Welcome, Ellis.

In Paul Hoban's book, "The Fountain Pens of Esterbrook," on page 12, he mentions a $1.50 white-on-white, fine-grained pearl-colored pen that was not advertised, but was produced circa 1939-1942.

There is a color photograph of it on Plate 2, with a description on page 33.

Cheers,

Laura

Anyone know the 'official' company names for these?

To me, I thought that 'pearl' was used to describe the usual vertical swirl pattern, 'icicle' meant there were more or less straight lines, and 'cracked ice' meant the ones with angular chuncks of colour in the pattern. As Laura has noted, Hoban clearly calles the angular blob ones 'Pearl' and doesn't refer to a 'cracked ice'.

Which design type did you mean when you referred to a White Pearl design Ellis?

Gerry

Thank you all for your welcome to this site...

Thank you for your clarification Gerry! What a learning curve I have to accomplish in my pursuit to become "estie-knowledgeable."

Actually, any of the three patterns would be very much of interest to me. I'm always up for the challenge, and hope to find one somewhere to add to my small but treasured collection.

On an important note PLEASE: I bought a 3550 nib to use and I really like it, but I am consistenly finding that it drips ink with even the most tiny downward shake of the pen. If I think too hard, it drips. :doh:

I know if I really shake a good fountain pen downward, some drops will come out, but something is different here...really chronic.

It appears that the drops do not come out of the section where the nib screws in, but instead appears to drip out from between the tines and the feed (onto the paper unfortunately...). The nib appears to be visually in very good shape.

Any technical suggestions from your combined expertise would be very much appreciated!!

p.s. note to Brian: the jewel surgery for my white purse pen was successful, and the patient is fully "recovered." :D Thank you!

"My two fingers on a typewriter have never connected with my brain. My hand on a pen does. A fountain pen, of course. Ball-point pens are only good for filling out forms on a plane"

-Graham Greene, author and world traveler

Sounds to me like you have a separation from the nib and the feed. Is it visually separated? I had one where the nib was almost 1/8 inch separated from the feed. I had to pull the nib / feed from the collar and physically bend the nib slightly to seat it better on the feed. Then reassemble.

The dissassembly has some risk to it.

Kendall Justiniano
Who is John Galt?

I am guessing that the nib was perhaps poorly mounted in the assembly Kendall, but if you had to bend the nib to make it come in contact with the feed, perhaps the feed could have been adjusted more easily.

This procedure is simpler than dissassembly and of course less risky. Just take the nib assembly off the pen, immerse the nib end (holding the collar part) in hot water for a few seconds. Then press the feed towards the nib, and while holding it in contact, immerse in cold water to set the feed material. It should remain in contact with the nib. If the feed won't easily bend, you need hotter water.

I know it sounds like it needs four hands, but if you have a couple of cups or bowls of water prepared ahead of time, you'll find it a pretty straightforward procedure.

Regards

Gerry

There is an all-white Estie for sale on e-bay right now. You can see the pen here.

Have fun! :D

Edited by Mannenhitsu

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."