The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Signature Pen(S)

signature

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 21:40

+1 for Pelikan M200/m400/m600 I have several, If there is one thing they do well is write straight off

Edited by sansenri, 10 April 2019 - 21:41.

Sponsored Content

#22 surprise123

surprise123

Estate Find

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:08

Combine a flexible nib/unique stub (obliques) with a sheening ink, and you have yourself a beautiful, impressive, bold, and hard-to-forge signature. I would recommend what everyone else is saying, a nice Pelikan OBB, or maybe a Platinum 3776 w/ a music nib. 

#23 5Cavaliers

5Cavaliers

Ageless with time

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,143 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 04:30

A less expensive option might be a TWSBI Eco with a 1.1 stub nib with Namiki-Pilot Blue ink.   

When I am working on a project, I may have hundreds of documents to sign.  While I have many other pens that write well, I will use this pen because it works well from the first document to the last without turning my hand into a cramped claw. 

"Today will be gone in less than 24 hours.  When it is gone, it is gone.  Be wise, but enjoy!  - anonymous today

#24 mana

mana

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,177 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 07:06

Another vote for Pelikans (especially vintage). Haven't had any problems with them even if they have been out of use for a week or longer, they always start when the nib touches the paper (provided there is ink, of course...).

The vintage ones and the M2/400 to M700 series pens are small to medium sized so if you want or need (to paraphrase BoBo) "a big honking pen" those might not fit the bill. That said, I have XL hands and use them without any problems though. The caps post securely so even the smallest ones (vintage 100 & 120/140) are ok because this makes them "Just The Right Size™". ;)

Lamy 2000... Maybe, if you use it semi-regularly and the pen suits your hand (I am having trouble with mine ergonomics wise, thus it is not used). The caps on them are not airtight so evaporation does occur and as a result of this my vintage 2000 does tend to dry, if unused, after a week or so. It will be less of a problem if you keep the pen filled.

Oh, all of the pens mentioned are proper piston fillers so expect larger ink capacity.

Inks? My two staples that seem to behave well on most kinds of papers are Pelikan 4001 Blue Black and Sailor Souboku. Color wise they are rather... business like. Non-obtrusive might be the word.

What else... Souboku is a nano pigment ink and actually water proof/permanent etc. and the 4001 BB has some iron gall in it (at least in the EU which makes it sort of permanent, delible with bleach though) so a bit more care is required with both pen maintenance wise.

That said, I haven't bothered to clean my EDC pens (all vintage Pelikans) regularly though and have been running both inks in them just refilling when necessary for about half a year now with Souboku and for a few years with 4001 BB. Some might opt for a bi-weekly or monthly purging and cleaning ritual but yeah, haven't had any problems with mine so far. Hmmm, I do clean them when I swap inks or nibs though so... maybe I have done that every... few months?

Oh, nibs! Nibs on vintage Pelikans can be great fun, especially the wider ones which are stubby or bordering on Cursive Italic (kind of hard and pricey to source nowadays though).

Anyway, whatever pen you will buy, get a fun customized nib for it that helps make your signature even more unique by adding a bit of flair through line variation (for example). That way you will also ensure that you get a nib that is properly tuned and doesn't suffer from hard starts, scratchiness etc. caused by misaligned tines, baby's bottom or whatnot.

Adopt, Don't Shop! Support Your Local Animal Shelters! - Let's make this world a better place together! Because... now is the only thing that is real...

"Indifference towards people and the reality in which they live is actually the one and only cardinal sin in design." - Dieter Rams

EDC: Post WWII green binde Pelikan 100N CI 14K B, Blue Marbled M200 F, 400NN Tortoise CI 14K BB. INKED: early 70s LAMY 2000 MK, Parker 51 Aerometric F & M, rOtring Art Pen 1.1 & Woodshed Pen Co. Red swirl 1.1 mm CI, Kaweco V12 14K B and then some... Inks: Pelikan 4001 BB & Turquoise, vintage Parker Quink, Lamy Turquoise, Diamine Eau de Nil, Sailor Souboku etc.

#25 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,551 posts

Posted 11 April 2019 - 12:06

"""Oh, nibs! Nibs on vintage Pelikans can be great fun, especially the wider ones which are stubby or bordering on Cursive Italic (kind of hard and pricey to source nowadays though)."""

If one is brave and bold, there is German Ebay.de,  140-400 goes for @ E100-110..........some folks want to pay up to E120 for a 400nn, but there is no need if one Hunts, you can find them for E100 and in tortoise if you take your time and Hunt.

Of course if you are rich and impatient you can push the Buy Now Idiot button, and pay stateside prices of $290....or E180-250.....those looking for Idiots, know what  lazy fools will pay.

Yes in the auction section, you could have trouble in some folks don't take pay pal in it costs money (could be they don't have a credit card, only their bank card)  and others don't ship outside of Germany................but that is what patience is all about.....saving real money.

Wide nibs BB/OBB like EF nibs were always hard to find.

Do think of Osmia or Osmia-Faber-Castel, lots cheaper....could be you will need to get the pen re-corked but I have two of them in OBB, one in 15 degree grind, the other in 30 degree grind.....and some how the price of Osmia has fallen to a ten year low. One can get some for E60..... :yikes: :wub:

The mdl 76 is a medium large pen with good girth, I don't have a mdl 78 which I think is a large pen. I do have a few standard sized ones and a couple medium-small ones...That use to be a very popular size.

If there is a small diamond with a number in it....and with Osmia on it, it is semi-flex.

If it has a large diamond, and Supra or Osmia & Supra on it, it is maxi-semi-flex. I don't know why I was surprised, but they did also make a gold plated nib. I only have Steel or Gold.

The gold nib is as good as the steel one. :D

A borrowed picture, I use to show the semi-flex small diamond Osmia nib. A medium-small pen. I have this color in a Osmia-Faber-Castel 540....but mine is a steel Supra nib...in M.

#2 is a small nib...I have also some with # 3 nibs....could be I have one with a 4....could be I don't. Not worth worrying about.  My Supra nibs are not numbered but appear to be larger even if the one I just looked at in a BCHR 76 is an EF.

(Sigh....I will confess even though I don't chase EF nibs, I bought the 76 because it was so pretty and near mint with most of the gold letters intact....to hell with the nib...I chased the pretty pen...... :bunny01: :happyberet:

HBMiI0r.jpg

Large Diamond, Supra nib....maxi-semi-flex. Also a borrowed picture....in even this quality is better than mine.

o2PJXYR.jpg

These BCHR pens below are Boehler 1938 pens. The Boehler Brothers split the firm in 1938...IMO Faber-Castel having it's nose under the tent, was wanting more say. These do not have Osmia/Degussa*** nibs....which were made by Degussa since 1932 when Osmia broke again had to sell their nib factory to Degussa for debt for their gold nibs. Degussa continued making superb nibs not only for Osmia or Geha and at the end of Gooseneck days, but as their own brand of nib.

***Summer of '38 Hitler stole the gold, but gold plated Italian nibs were allowed in in they were allies.

RfIkpTy.jpg

Edited by Bo Bo Olson, 11 April 2019 - 12:24.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#26 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,106 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 15:40

Parker,
It was “Ink and Paint”, a book about the history of women artists at the Disney Studio, and I was one of about eight veteran artists at the signings. There’s a picture of me from the 1970s, as I was one of four women promoted to animator in that decade...the first since the 1940s. It strikes me as appropriate to have used that ancient pen.

#27 A Smug Dill

A Smug Dill

飽食終日無所用心

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• 3,679 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 22:37

Group,

I am in need of a good quality fountain pen for signature of documents.

In search of a fountain pen and ink that writes immediately when uncapped.

Tired of 'stop/start, leak thru, feathering, and blotches.

Is there such an instrument and ink at a reasonable price?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Henry

What do you mean by 'good quality'?

The Platinum Preppy is always ready to write (if inked!) when uncapped, and is not apt to dry out when capped but left unused for a while. It is also very cheap to buy. It is available with Extra Fine, Fine and Medium nibs, so you can probably find a width that gives you the aesthetic you want for your signature. They are very good quality as far as being a fit-for-purpose writing instrument.

Is there an  appropriate ink for signature of voluminous legal closing documents four or five times a month?

Might anyone have suggestion(s)?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Paul

You can put a matching proprietary-to-Platnium converter in the Preppy if you want, or you can use Platinum Carbon Black ink cartridges for less fuss and larger ink capacity per 'fill'; or, if you must, you can turn it into an 'eyedropper' pen and use the entire barrel as the ink reservoir (which holds about 3ml). There are any number of document inks (e.g. the Rohrer & Klinger Dokumentus line, De Atramentis document inks, Pelikan Fount India) in the market that are sold as such, or you can use a pigment ink; any of those will work with either the converter or the eyedropper approach to filling the pen.

It's exactly the sort of pen with which I'd want to be seen signing legal or work documents, preferably if they are artefacts of some million-dollar deal or project, and especially in front of a gathering of high-profile or important people. My more expensive pens, which are also high quality, are what I'd take to weekly or status meetings, etc. to jot down notes, or for capturing my thoughts in private (for work or pleasure); they are what I carry and enjoy, and I'd be happy to be seen doing so.

p.s. Are you Henry or are you Paul? Or neither?

As always:  1. Implicit in everything and every instance I write on FPN is the invitation for you to judge me as a peer in the community. I think it's only due respect to take each other's written word in online discussion seriously and apply critical judgment.  2. I do not presume to judge for you what is right, correct or valid. If I make a claim, or refute a statement in a thread, and link to references and other information in support, I beseech you to review and consider those, and judge for yourself. I may be wrong. My position or say-so carries no more weight than anyone else's here, and external parties can speak for themselves with what they have published.  3. I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable. If it is something you can test for yourself and see the results, I entreat you to do so.

#28 OMASsimo

OMASsimo

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 869 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 April 2019 - 22:49

Since others already opened the "vintage discussion", I might chime in and second what mana and Bo Bo Olson already stated. Especially Pelikan 140 and the various 400 models are affordable and easy to find in excellent condition and they are superb writers for your application. If you aren't a vintage collector, this might be your best bet for reliable vintage piston fillers. 

I absolutely love the vintage Pelikan nibs and their flawless performance in everyday life. But I have to second Bo Bo that Osmia nibs are even better. And I have to add that I also like many vintage Kaweco nibs a bit better than the Pelikans. Both tend to be softer/more flexible and add character and joy to the writing experience. But that might not be the first priority when the main purpose is signing documents. The downside is that the market is much more narrow for Osmias/Kawecos, though I'm not sure why because they've been very common in the days, and they are often in poorer condition and more finicky. Pelikans are just built like tanks, though much more beautiful. I got two Pelikan 400NNs and one Kaweco Dia 85 this week (off German ebay). The Pelikans (though having issues) worked fine right away and have fabulous OB and OBB nibs. The Kaweco needed work due to a bent nib. I had a nice evening nib forging session and now it writes like new. Anyway, you get the point why I suggest Pelikans for people not used to pen restoration when it comes to vintage pens.

Now, I also have another recommendation that's probably off the beaten tracks. The one modern maker that blew me away with the writing performance of their pens was OMAS. Unfortunately, they ran out of business a few years ago and now are highly sought after. So, they play in a different league regarding price but in my opinion are among the best modern performers, way better than current Pelikan (or Montblanc) pens. One of the two pens most special and dear to me is an OMAS Paragon Arco which I use only for very special occasions. So, it might be sitting inked and nib up unused in it's stand for several months at times. But if I pick it up and put the nib down on the paper, it writes immediately without any delay! I think that's pretty amazing and seems to be exactly what you are asking for (or rather much more than what you're asking for). And the best is that you don't even have to buy an expensive Arco. All my other OMAS pens do the same and all are amazing writers. It's a shame that the company was liquidated - but that's a different story.

#29 Restored

Restored

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 April 2019 - 13:33

Are you Henry or are you Paul? Or neither?

Psst...the walrus was Paul. 

I use a Pilot Metro M for signatures if there is room. If room is tight, I use a Metro F. Parallel blue ink(cart)

#30 Inkysloth

Inkysloth

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,089 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 15:11

Parker,
It was “Ink and Paint”, a book about the history of women artists at the Disney Studio, and I was one of about eight veteran artists at the signings. There’s a picture of me from the 1970s, as I was one of four women promoted to animator in that decade...the first since the 1940s. It strikes me as appropriate to have used that ancient pen.

Very cool! That's definitely a book I'll add to my reading list :)

Instagram @inkysloth 
My website http://inkysloth.moonfruit.com/

#31 ac12

ac12

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,535 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:47

Group,

I am in need of a good quality fountain pen for signature of documents.

In search of a fountain pen and ink that writes immediately when uncapped.

Tired of 'stop/start, leak thru, feathering, and blotches.

Is there such an instrument and ink at a reasonable price?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Henry

NO.

There is not guarantee of anything.

If you leave the pen for a day or two, it may need a dip in water to begin writing again.

If you write on "junk" paper, it will blot the ink, making it feather, or bleed through.

If the ink is too wet, it will blot/bleed through.  If the ink is too dry, it may hard start or clog.

If you press too hard, more ink will flow and blot the paper.  Press way too hard and you could spring/destroy the nib.

Writing with a fountain pen is a balance of pen, ink, paper and you the writer. 

Change any one of the 4 and you may not have a pleasant writing experience.

There are combinations that come close, but there is still the variable of paper and you the writer.

San Francisco Pen Show - August 28-30, 2020 - Redwood City, California

www.SFPenShow.com

#32 lectraplayer

lectraplayer

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:30

I imagine it is safe to assume that the paper will be usually, if not always Hammermill, so we can design for that. Since this is a signature pen, I'm betting it will be used on laser printed documents mostly.

Edited by lectraplayer, 18 April 2019 - 09:33.

If it isn't too bright for you, it isn't bright enough for me.

#33 Karmachanic

Karmachanic

Nibulous

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,509 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 12:54

Kaigelu 316 with Bock housing and feed and 1.1 nib. Always writes, even after weeks of not being used. Reasonably priced.

"Simplicate and add Lightness."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: signature

Sponsored Content

|