Signature Pen(S)

eclectic2316

Group,

I am in need of a good quality fountain pen for signature of documents.

In search of a fountain pen and ink that writes immediately when uncapped.

Tired of 'stop/start, leak thru, feathering, and blotches.

Is there such an instrument and ink at a reasonable price?

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Henry

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ParkerDuofold

• Bo Bo Olson

• Paul80

• sidthecat

I've never had Pelikan 4001 Royal Blue or Blue-Black feather, but the former is definitely not lightfast or in any way permanent at all, and the latter doesn't work well in all pens and may chew through plated nibs if you're unlucky.

If your budget allows for it, the single most reliable pen I have is my Pelikan M400. Has the benefit of looking very important and classy, but you definitely pay for that, too.

The Platinum Century is cheaper and has also proven to start pretty quickly, but I don't like that one nearly as much. Also likes to collect condensation on the nib, which looks pretty meh.

I've also had very little issues with my trusty old Lamy AL-Star, but that's probably not quite classy enough as a signature pen.

Same goes for the sleek, small Parker 45, along with being an older, out-of-production pen.

I also vaguely remember the Faber-Castell Loom as being quite reliable, but I'd have to get someone to confirm that, as I haven't used mine in ages. It's also a somewhat odd-looking pen.

A 200/400/600 is best because you can use stubbed semi-flex nibs from '50-65, springy regular flex nibs from '82-97, (Both give a clean line) or the post '98 fat and blobby butter smooth 400/600 semi-nail nib; not as clean a line..

There are some real, real beautiful 600's......and some of the Limited Editions like the Grand Place, cost more now than when they were new.

I do really like the stubbed obliques of that era.....and if you absolutely got to have a signature nib, then a stubbed, vintage '50-65 semi-flex in oblique, a OBB would do great. Then after signing if you ever write you can change nib widths, and flex.

In reference to P. T. Barnum; to advise for free is foolish, ........busybodies are ill liked by both factions.

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

In my EDC case I have 3 pens, 2 for everyday use and these are a Sheaffer Legacy Ballpoint and fountain pen with a fine nib and for signatures there is a Sheaffer PFM with a nice wet broad nib, that never fails to write no matter how long it is since it was last used.

Paul

Hi Henry,

I'll echo any recommendations for the Platinum 3776 Century or L2K, (Lamy 2000).

As far as ink goes,... blue-greens, royal blues and turquoises are generally wet and free-flowing inks.

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Here's the pen and ink combo I'd recommend:

1. Under $100- Lamy Safari and Noodler's Black

2. Between $100-$200- Lamy 2000/ Pilot Vanishing Point and Noodler's Black

3. Between $300-$500- Pilot Custom 823 and Noodler's Black

4. Over $500- Visconti Homo Sapiens/ MontBlanc Meisterstuck 146 and Noodler's Black

I was part of a couple of book signings last year and my weapon of choice was my Doric ringtop with the busted Adjustable nib: without the slider it's a flex monster, but sturdy enough to write on clay-coated pages. I don't do black any more, but I should probably make an exception next time.

I'd be inclined to point you at the Platinum Century 3776, and their ink. I gave my wife a Plaisir, which still has the original cartridge in it several years later. It never fails to write on the first stroke. The 3776 uses the same cartridges and the same cap sealing mechanism.

Here's the pen and ink combo I'd recommend:

1. Under $100- Lamy Safari and Noodler's Black

2. Between $100-$200- Lamy 2000/ Pilot Vanishing Point and Noodler's Black

3. Between $300-$500- Pilot Custom 823 and Noodler's Black

4. Over $500- Visconti Homo Sapiens/ MontBlanc Meisterstuck 146 and Noodler's Black

Hi Rudra,

I guess you sorta, kinda lean towards Noodler's Black, huh? ;)

- A.C.

I was part of a couple of book signings last year and my weapon of choice was my Doric ringtop with the busted Adjustable nib: without the slider it's a flex monster, but sturdy enough to write on clay-coated pages. I don't do black any more, but I should probably make an exception next time.

Hi Sid,

Congratulations on attending a book signing. What was the book?... or is it too political? :unsure: (If so, I'd probably rather not know). :D

Be well. :)

- Anthony

Of the pens I have: Pelikan m205, m600, Sailor Professional Gear, Parker 75; it also depends on having a free flowing ink, of the 30 odd I have all of them work well, except for Rouge Hemátite and Équinoxe 6.

Almost any other pen will start straight away, even notorious evaporators such as Parker Sonnets, if kept in a case, again without a troublesome ink.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

If you hate feathering or bleeding, go for diamine registrar's. it's an iron gall and will never feather or bleed on anything whatsoever, no matter what pen or nib or paper. (but it does need to be cleaned every 3-4 months if you don't use a complete fill before then. I use it exclusively in a platinum 3776 ultra extra fine and it's perpetually inked due to its insane water/fade resistance and very consistent behavior) and with that ink, go for whatever nib you like, but I'd go for a broad or stub in a signature nib. If you have less than 50, a faber castell loom is a handsome thing. $50-100, a platinum 3776 or pilot custom 74/91 Coarse (about a fat western broad) $100-150 a lamy 2000 with whatever nib you fancy, and north of $200, whatever the hell you want. Most of them will be fine.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Whilst on the subject of signatures, what pen does President Trump use, looks like a Montblanc Rollerball but writes like a paintbrush, much wider than a broad. Anyone know what it is.

Paul

One of the Pelikan piston fillers or a Lamy 2000 will write every time and stay moist from extra fine nib on up in nib width.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Whilst on the subject of signatures, what pen does President Trump use, looks like a Montblanc Rollerball but writes like a paintbrush, much wider than a broad. Anyone know what it is.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I believe it's a Cross Townsend with a fiber tip.

Be well and enjoy life. :)

- Anthony

Paul

It's a felt tip signature pen. You could in theory get an OBBB or OBBBB (the quad broad would have to be a very custom order but someone like greg minuskin could retip and grind an OBBBB) to do that.

Obama has used a visconti divina metropolitan.

Edited by Honeybadgers

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

Sheaffer Prelude Signature series :D

Prelude-sign1.jpg

Recite, and your Lord is the most Generous  Who taught by the pen

Taught man that which he knew not (96/3-5)

Snailmail3.png Snail Mail