The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

A Good Introductory Vintage Pen

pilot pens vintage pens ink pen review parker waterman sheaffer

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,652 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 02:58

Pens point is a brick and mortar pen shop in Delhi right? https://penspoint.wordpress.com/

Confirm they provide some type of warranty on the pen you select. ie they will fix it if the pen fails in a short while.

I think initially you must stick to pens which do not need repairs generally like the English 51s, aero duofolds, English c/c 61s,Sheaffer targas, c/c imperials etc. really vintage pens need proper parts and careful restoration. Cant be expected from a shop selling stuff at v low prices. This is the reason i had to teach myself to restore pens properly. For really old pens i prefer that it is untouched unrestored by the seller
In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Sponsored Content

#22 Honeybadgers

Honeybadgers

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,452 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 April 2019 - 04:57

I disagree. the parker 51 is an everyday pen, it doesn't really have any quirks that make it feel "vintage"

I guess that's a perk, but a bland looking nail that's been copied perfectly with the wing sung 601 is just eh to me.

I vote for an eversharp skyline, waterman 52, parker vacumatic, or pelikan 140.

Vintage pens in relatively good condition are easy to restore. Sacs are often all they need, and for lever fillers, they cost pennies.

Edited by Honeybadgers, 10 April 2019 - 04:58.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

#23 Marlow

Marlow

Happily ink-stained

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 13:45

Check out a few options in the shop, snap a few pics, post here from your phone, go grab some lunch and we will then choose for you! How bout that?! :lol:

"Every job is good if you do your best and work hard. A man who works hard stinks only to the ones that have nothing to do but smell." Laura Ingalls Wilder

#24 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 June 2019 - 17:48

Try everything and see what you like. Trying out pens in the Real World is a different experience than the cross-your-fingers-and-bid process that is eBay.

#25 kestrel

kestrel

School Eccentric

• FPN Supporter - Rhodium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 19:34

I agree with trying pens out if possible.  Girth, balance, heft and nib feel all determine how the pen "feels" in the hand.  For example, Skylines are wonderful pens but they just don't feel "right" for me.  Vintage Parkers, Sheaffer's, and Esties are higher on my list.  Where you are there should be Parkers a plenty.  English Parkers from the late 1930s through the 1940s can be (and usually are) very good writers and the ones with Newhaven nibs (with the "N" on the nib) are especially nice. 

Enjoy the hunt and I hope you bag something wonderful.

Dave Campbell
Science Teacher and Pen Addict
Every day is a chance to reduce my level of ignorance.

fpn_1425200643__fpn_1425160066__super_pi

#26 Parkette

Parkette

Dogged

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 30 June 2019 - 19:43

Check out a few options in the shop, snap a few pics, post here from your phone, go grab some lunch and we will then choose for you! How bout that?! :lol:

Great Idea.

I think it would be great to see pen hunting expeditions from other countries.

Nice bit of PR for the shop owners too. In fact this might be a good idea for a new thread, Pen Shopping at B and M stores around the World.

Edited by Parkette, 30 June 2019 - 19:45.

Mennonite

#27 como

como

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 19:06

An old fashioned lever-filler pen from Conway Stewart or Mabie Todd. Nibs are often interesting, filling mechanism is easy for learning to self-service, and the price is usually reasonable if you don't go after a sought-after pattern.

#28 sidthecat

sidthecat

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,021 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 July 2019 - 21:18

I've promised my oldest friend (a recently confessed pen fancier) that we'll take in the next Los Angeles pen show together. Good fun!

#29 Paul80

Paul80

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,501 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 06:39

Often overlooked but if you want a pen to write with have a look at an English made Parker Duofold AF with one of Newhavens legendary buttery smooth Medium nibs. Probably need a new sac but will be cheaper than a Parker 51 and will be the best writer you have ever used.

Paul

#30 MalcolmH

MalcolmH

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,352 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 July 2019 - 08:06

Hi, I'll be going on my monthly pen hunt in a few days and I wanted to try out the world of vintage pens.
Which vintage pen would you recommend to a first time vintage user?

Just wondering if you found anything to your liking?

:)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pilot, pens, vintage pens, ink, pen review, parker, waterman, sheaffer

Sponsored Content

|