On The Brink Of A Conid, A Little Sadly

tubular

Thank you for these photos, Mulrich; they are really great.

Somehow I hadn't realized how big the Minimalistica is--the name misled me.

It's definitely can be a confusing name and without a little more context you might not realize that the 'minimal' refers to features and not size. The Minimalistica and Regular are actually very similarly sized, with the former not having a screw cap or ink window (hence, minimal).

The Slimline is Conid's smallest pen but most would probably not consider it small.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• tubular

• como

• Karmachanic

• Mulrich

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The last couple of posts being said, you can get some nice line variation out of Ti and I think anyone with a decent hand can tell how far they can be pushed. I think they have more of the paint brush quality you would feel with an elastic nib...

Ti nib with a ‘paint brush quality.’ That is well said. That feel is why I rid myself of an Omas Ti nib in favor an 18k Omas nib. Could not stand the Ti. In love with the 18k. Tastes differ thank goodness, or we would have very few pens from which to choose. Because of differing tastes, we will never run out of choices.

Like the original poster here, I have mixed feelings about demonstrators but do like titanium knobs. I therefore ordered an ebonite version which I recently received. Hope it helps in making your decision......

fpn_1555191031__img_0111---rs.jpg

fpn_1555191282__img_0121_rs.jpg

fpn_1555191410__img_0124_rs.jpg

fpn_1555191578__img_0126_rs.jpg

Edited by noddle

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

noddle: Thank you very much for sharing. This is not making the decision-making easier. These are dead-serious looking and gorgeous pens. I would like a demo barrel for sure. I don't think I can fiddle with the mechanics without being able to see it. Struggling to decide if Minimalistica black cap/demo barrel or Kingsize Streamline Demo, mainly financially. I just hope that I don't buy Minimalistica, and upon receiving, immediately want to buy the Kingsize too :unsure:

Like the original poster here, I have mixed feelings about demonstrators but do like titanium knobs. I therefore ordered an ebonite version which I recently received. Hope it helps in making your decision......

Hey Como, Holland isn't too far from Switzerland.

Makes for a nice Weekend-excursion.
And you get to test the Conids in person.

At least that's what I'll do, I have my eye on them for a long time, but want to try them in my own hands.

Too many - partially confusing or contradictory - opinions to be found online :)

First hand experience is always good. But I think you need to go to Belgium, not Netherlands :-)

Hey Como, Holland isn't too far from Switzerland.

Makes for a nice Weekend-excursion.
And you get to test the Conids in person.

At least that's what I'll do, I have my eye on them for a long time, but want to try them in my own hands.

Too many - partially confusing or contradictory - opinions to be found online :)

First hand experience is always good. But I think you need to go to Belgium, not Netherlands :-)

ups... you're absolutely right.

Don't know why I always associated them with the Netherlands... weird.

But good news is, it's even closer :)

Maybe because they have a few very nice and well known pen shops. It would still be a good trip, even if you end up in the wrong country :D Some of these shops have made special editions with Conid, for example.

ups... you're absolutely right.
Don't know why I always associated them with the Netherlands... weird.

But good news is, it's even closer :)

A lovely, lovely pen, noddle! I'm still torn, though. The ebonite is dignified; the demonstrator is eyecatching. Over the long run, I'd probably prefer the look of the ebonite. I've read, though, that ebonite sections absorb ink. Would that be true of the Conid, though, constructed as it is?

I just hope that I don't buy Minimalistica, and upon receiving, immediately want to buy the Kingsize too :unsure:

That's the problem. A camera tripod maker used to sell its extremely expensive tripods by adding up the prices of the series of cheaper tripods a budget-minded buyer would likely progress through on his passage from exasperation toward satisfaction and comparing that sum with the cost of just buying their tripod in the first place.

Anybody want to buy a used tripod?

Edited by tubular

A lovely, lovely pen, noddle! I'm still torn, though. The ebonite is dignified; the demonstrator is eyecatching. Over the long run, I'd probably prefer the look of the ebonite. I've read, though, that ebonite sections absorb ink. Would that be true of the Conid, though, constructed as it is?

I've read that too, but having inspected the section on my streamline pen which I've been using for two years, I can detect no discolouration, sheening or staining; it looks as clean as the day I bought it. I think there were reports of staining with the orange ebonite Monarch pens but Conid may have rectified that. If staining is a concern, you could opt for a titanium section instead.

The ebonite on my streamline has lost its original gloss and has become more matt, as you may be able to see in the photos. However, I quite like the character this gives the pen and prefer it to shiny plastics. Providing the pen is not left in direct sunlight for weeks at a time, there should be no problem with the ebonite losing its colour badly.

Pens: Conid Kingsize ebonite (x2)
Inks: 
  KWZ Dark Brown / KWZ IG Orange / Diamine Chocolate / Diamine Burnt Sienna / Diamine Ochre / Monteverde Scotch Brown

I agree. I have not seen "staining" on my vintage pens with ebonite. It can be oxidised if under constant sunlight, or after many many years. Even that, most of my vintage ebonite pens didn't become brown at all. It's a matter of being careful. I must say that the ebonite and titanium combination looks super.

I've read that too, but having inspected the section on my streamline pen which I've been using for two years, I can detect no discolouration, sheening or staining; it looks as clean as the day I bought it. I think there were reports of staining with the orange ebonite Monarch pens but Conid may have rectified that. If staining is a concern, you could opt for a titanium section instead.

Thank you both, noddle and como; this is reassuring. I like the look of ebonite both new and less new. If it retains its integrity then I am satisfied.

there's no 'staining' in the demonstrator either. I've use all the inks that are rumoured to leave stains, but I've been able to clean my Conid every time.

I finally pulled the trigger. Kingsize Ti Demo substituting ebonite for the knob, finial, and section, and asked for them to make the ebonite parts matte/brushed instead of polished (hopefully they can do that). Now the wait!

Thank you both, noddle and como; this is reassuring. I like the look of ebonite both new and less new. If it retains its integrity then I am satisfied.

As long as no long time sun light exposure or soaking in water in water for too long, you should be good. I repaired and restored several dozens of vintage pens (for a hobby). When ebonite oxidisation is not severe and still superficial (just thin layer of browning), you can always gently sand it away with fine grades of sand paper (do it in different grades) and finally give it a polish with some simichrome and renaissance wax. It will look jet black and shining again like new. Just don't use excessively. As long as it's black ebonite, it's not so worrisome. I also did with red mottled ebonite and the result is still very nice but there you will have to be more careful as red and black ebonites don't wear away at same rate. It's only when the pen has been totally neglected and brown layer is very thick, then it's impossible to bring it back. Well, some tried with a kind of ebonite "paint". I haven't done so and don't plan to.

I finally pulled the trigger. Kingsize Ti Demo substituting ebonite for the knob, finial, and section, and asked for them to make the ebonite parts matte/brushed instead of polished (hopefully they can do that).

Congratulations!

I shall keep all this in mind. What counts as too long a soak in water? I sometimes leave pens soaking overnight and never thought I was doing anything hazardous--but I've never had an ebonite pen.

As long as no long time sun light exposure or soaking in water in water for too long, you should be good. I repaired and restored several dozens of vintage pens (for a hobby). When ebonite oxidisation is not severe and still superficial (just thin layer of browning), you can always gently sand it away with fine grades of sand paper (do it in different grades) and finally give it a polish with some simichrome and renaissance wax. It will look jet black and shining again like new. Just don't use excessively. As long as it's black ebonite, it's not so worrisome. I also did with red mottled ebonite and the result is still very nice but there you will have to be more careful as red and black ebonites don't wear away at same rate. It's only when the pen has been totally neglected and brown layer is very thick, then it's impossible to bring it back. Well, some tried with a kind of ebonite "paint". I haven't done so and don't plan to.

I shall keep all this in mind. What counts as too long a soak in water? I sometimes leave pens soaking overnight and never thought I was doing anything hazardous--but I've never had an ebonite pen.

I can only speak of the ebonite on vintage pens, 70/80 years old plus. If you run the aged ebonite under water (especially warm/hot water), the browning can be instant. Soaking celluloid, resin/acrylic is generally no problem. There are other vintage material that can't be soaked either (casein) but that's not the material used here. I would ask Conid how to care for their ebonite pens if I buy one.