Weird Question About Copying Fountain Pen Ink Colors Onto Printable Word Documents...

TestTube

So, let's say I want to make a word document where I want to type up the document in Pilot Iroshizuku's Kon-Peki...

Is there a way to look up "soak up" the color (like you can do in MS Paint) from a website or anywhere for that matter, and then paste it into the specifications of your custom color in Microsoft Word (or whatever you're using)?

Or if there isn't, can anyone think of some creative ways of solving this problem?

It would be awesome to be able to type up some of my word documents using my favorite fountain pen colors.

Thanks!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• senzen

• rafapa

• Charles Rice

• TestTube

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Scan in the ink and then just about any photo app will give you the RGB values

For Kon-Peki I get (from Anderson Pen ink guide)

R 62

G 102

B 163

If course that will vary depending on shading, your scanner, your printer, etc.

So you're going to have to tweak

Edited by Charles Rice

Not weird at all in these forums... I do this but with a mac and Libreoffice or Keynote: digital color meter app, copy the hex code, look for it online, customize the colours. I think there's also an android app that does it, haven't tried it, couldn't find much info about the developer (a healthy dose of paranoia is healthy with Android).

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

Scan in the ink and then just about any photo app will give you the RGB values

<SNIP>

If course that will vary depending on shading, your scanner, your printer, etc.

So you're going to have to tweak

Essentially -- if one wants the most accurate match...

You start with a full print-flow calibration: monitor profile (one reason I have the somewhat rare and expensive Dell UltraSharp with AdobeRGB gamut -- it arrives with a calibration certificate). Then scanner and printer calibration (you MIGHT be able to find profiles for your printer and paper combination, which you have to select when printing). Last is a scanner profile -- the scanner may come with one, but if you are finicky, you would use a special calibration target -- scan the target, then run software which compares each color swatch of the scan to what the target is supposed to be, building a new profile.

{I've got 29 paper profiles just for Hahnemuehle papers on just an Epson R2000 printer, and 12 more for Epson papers on the same printer; but no special profiles for an HP OfficeJet 8100 -- though it may adjust for paper using a controlled light/scan pass before starting to print}

It would be awesome to be able to type up some of my word documents using my favorite fountain pen colors.

Are you talking about colour of the text as rendered on your electronic display of choice (whether that's a monitor, a tablet device, or whatever), or colour of the text when you print the document out (even specifically on your choice of paper)?

Changing the colour of the text on screen is easy; whether whichever RGB values you enter closely match your perception of how an ink looks on your choice of paper is a different issue. To get that awesomeness, you need to calibrate your monitor for colour rendition, as well as obtain RGB values for what you deem to be a representative sample of your writing with that ink; you cannot rely on the ease, convenience and cost-effectiveness of just taking some values others have determined from their samples.

Get a monochrome inkjet printer you can afford to mess with (or mess up), replace the cartridge with one you filled with whichever actual fountain pen ink you want to use, and have at it. You cannot get more real than that, if it's the output you want.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.