What Has Been Your Least Favorite Ink So Far?

hu-327

Noodlers Summer Tananger. Utterly useless, it feathers horribly on every paper i have used it on in every width nib i have run it through.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• inkstainedruth

• NeverTapOut

• A Smug Dill

• torstar

Papier Plume Yellow. The ink itself is fine and writes nicely but the color makes it impossible to use it in any pen that has had other ink colors in it. One trace amount of another color such as black and it ruins the color. its also kinda hard to use in daily writing because of the color unless you are highlighting things. I mainly only put it in a pen after I install a new sac in it and removed any trace amount of old ink.

Hi,

Royal blue / Königsblau inks. Saw and used them too much at school...

Jens

Cannot agree with you on this one.

I have used Pelikan Royal blue all through my school years and also till later, but I still use it and like it.

It's very reliable and safe, and a nice base for mixing experiments.

my worst experience so far has been with R&K Salix

I love the colour, but oh, so dry!

I need to drag the nib on the paper to get some ink on it

I probably need to try to add some wetting agent to it...

Pilot inks. Wetness qualities. I found it sufficiently annoying that there is no English equivalent displayed on box or bottle that I lost interest in any products from that country. Sure, there is a list of cross references somewhere, and the Japanese can be translated, but I found it tedious to do, and I lost interest in the products. Then I lost interest in the Sailor products as well. There are plenty of quality inks available from countries whose language I can at least read that I don't need to bother with products displaying only Japanese nomenclature. I already have enough ink to last a few more years.

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Red.

I generally like Pelikan 4001 line, despite their rather dry-ish quality. But Brilliant Red is just really bad. The color isn't red - it's orange-ish pink. Plus it clogs pens and is a pain to clean.

Woah I literally came here to write exactly this. 4001 red is my least favorite by a long ways.

It writes dry, and comes out an orangish pink. My girlfriend says "I thought this was supposed to be red?" Everytime I hand her a pen filled with it

Pilot inks. Wetness qualities. I found it sufficiently annoying that there is no English equivalent displayed on box or bottle that I lost interest in any products from that country. Sure, there is a list of cross references somewhere, and the Japanese can be translated, but I found it tedious to do, and I lost interest in the products. Then I lost interest in the Sailor products as well. There are plenty of quality inks available from countries whose language I can at least read that I don't need to bother with products displaying only Japanese nomenclature. I already have enough ink to last a few more years.

I always thought Pilot's fountain pen inks are pretty clearly labelled for English readers, especially with its 'basic' range of colours:

fpn_1579139615__pilot_ink_bottles_labell

Source: Pilot Corporation

Platinum Pen also labels its inks very clearly in English by default, even on bottles that are distributed for retail domestically in Japan.

Do you mean you dislike certain inks because their names — which, for all intents and purposes, are proper nouns — have no semantic meaning in English even when given in the Latin alphabet, and then by extension their brands, and then by further extension their countries of origin in your retail consumption? So, for example,

are all annoying to you, because the meanings of the names in English are not printed on the product's retail packaging, and by extension you have no interest in those brands, and by extension products from Japan, Germany and France?

Of course, it could be that you're fluent in English, German and French but just not Japanese. I don't know German, French or Japanese myself, so I just memorise all the names as proper nouns, in the same way I learnt the names Montblanc (white mountain) and Walt Disney and associate an ink colour with that label.

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

Noodlers House Divided. I can't make out what it is supposed to be, but it comes out as sort of a dirty gray. Anyway, I found it supremely boring so I gave most of a bottle away.

I am not a fan of other gray inks, they just come out looking to me like faded black on the page.

Noodlers House Divided. I can't make out what it is supposed to be, but it comes out as sort of a dirty gray. Anyway, I found it supremely boring so I gave most of a bottle away.

Just a whimsical thought but, a mix of blue and grey? (Union Blue, Confederate Grey -- making the "house" the US)

Interesting. I picked up a sample of House Divided a while back but haven't tried it yet. Of course, given that it's a Noodler's ink, I kinda expect it to be named for something political or historical or both....

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think that I may have found my NEW "least favorite": Birmingham Pens Gunpowder Tea. Someone gave me a sample of it a while back, and I was expecting it to be some sort of grey, from what it looked like sloshing around in the vial. Instead? It's this weird pale yellow with some greenish undertones, that's on the verge of being illegible on the page. I was pretty busy this past week, so the other day instead of flushing the ink out of the pen it was in, I refilled with distilled water -- and now I have this nasty-looking yellow highlighter color.... :sick:

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

I think that I may have found my NEW "least favorite": Birmingham Pens Gunpowder Tea. Someone gave me a sample of it a while back, and I was expecting it to be some sort of grey, from what it looked like sloshing around in the vial. Instead? It's this weird pale yellow with some greenish undertones, that's on the verge of being illegible on the page. I was pretty busy this past week, so the other day instead of flushing the ink out of the pen it was in, I refilled with distilled water -- and now I have this nasty-looking yellow highlighter color.... :sick:

fpn_1579716511__img_5660.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

J Herbin Eclat de Saphir. Just too washed out and anemic purplish-blue.

Funny, I like Eclat de Saphir. Yeah, it's got zero water resistance, but it does well in my Parker 61s -- I don't want anything remotely cloggy gumming up those capillary fillers.

Although you're right -- it is purplish-blue (just not as eye-searing as Noodler's Baystate Blue).

Organics Studios Walden

Awesome color

Dry

Every pen that I put it into wouldn't start until I wet the nib with water. Even then, it hard started after 3 seconds of the nib not hitting the paper and continued to skip

Woah I literally came here to write exactly this. 4001 red is my least favorite by a long ways.

It writes dry, and comes out an orangish pink. My girlfriend says "I thought this was supposed to be red?" Everytime I hand her a pen filled with it

+1 on Pelikan Briliant Red. I will concede that it looks really good inside a Pelikan M605 Transparent-White pen, but on paper, I have the same experience as WJM and PenStand. Really weak and washed out, and it did not clean particularly easily, which is the opposite of my experiences with other Pelikan 4001 inks.

+1 on Pelikan Briliant Red. I will concede that it looks really good inside a Pelikan M605 Transparent-White pen, but on paper, I have the same experience as WJM and PenStand. Really weak and washed out, and it did not clean particularly easily, which is the opposite of my experiences with other Pelikan 4001 inks.

when you find a good red, stay with it, could take a few attempts at getting it right

Rohrer & Klingner Smaragdgrün has probably been my least fave so far. Fairly ugly, it turned out, and it feathers and bleeds like crazy.

fpn_1375035941__postcard_swap.png * * * "Don't neglect to write me several times from different places when you may."
-- John Purdue (1863)