Seeking Suggestions For My Next Pen

Zlh296830

I am fairly new in the fountain pen collection world but I have been using fountain pen since very young. Im currently a college student and Im looking for suggestions for my next pen.

Heres a short list of the pens I uses quite often:

1. Pilot Kaküno M nib

2. Pilot Kaküno F nib

3. LAMY All-Star EF nib

4. Pilot Falcon M nib

5. Pilot Custom 823 M nib

Here are some of the pens that I am interested in:

1. Pilot Custom 742 FA nib

2. Pilot Custom 743 FA nib

3. Pilot Justus 95 F nib

4. Sailor 1911 realo F or M nib

5. Sailor Profesional Gear realo F or M nib

6. Montblan 146 F or M nib

Which one should I get first?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Zlh296830

• RoSpectre

• 1nkulus

• jchch1950

Well, it's always nice to look wide first - each time I think of a major pen investment I come back to the Astoria Goliath... :)

https://www.astoriapen.net/astoria-shop/goliath-series/

Alternatively, I would test a Sailor. There are excellent pens and would be a nice addition to what you have staying in the Japanese theme but yet giving you a wider range than sticking to Pilot.

my 0.02$

Hm, it definitely feels like you have a type (mid-sized Japanese pens with finer nibs), so it depends if you want to branch out or go with something similar. I do think Japanese brands offer the best variety and value if you're set on getting a gold-nibbed pen.

A Montblanc can be nice, but I've only ever bought used MBs to avoid feeling like I'm paying the luxury tax. Plus, if you're taking it to school I'd be weary of loss or theft, but maybe I'm paranoid. Definitely try one at a store, too, as the nibs will be different than Japanese nibs in both tip shape and tip sizing.

One pen to check out that is making a lot of good waves is the Leonardo Officina Italiana "Momento Zero" model (or the "Furore" model if you like cigar shaped pens). I don't own one yet but it's near the top of my list, and they're priced very reasonably for the acrylic/steel nibbed versions (though piston/celluloid/gold nib versions are available). Check out some reviews here and you'll probably be sold on them ;)

When you make your final decision, be sure to post a review of your new pen explaining why!

I am fairly new in the fountain pen collection world but I have been using fountain pen since very young. Im currently a college student and Im looking for suggestions for my next pen.

Heres a short list of the pens I uses quite often:

1. Pilot Kaküno M nib

2. Pilot Kaküno F nib

3. LAMY All-Star EF nib

4. Pilot Falcon M nib

5. Pilot Custom 823 M nib

Here are some of the pens that I am interested in:

1. Pilot Custom 742 FA nib

2. Pilot Custom 743 FA nib

3. Pilot Justus 95 F nib

4. Sailor 1911 realo F or M nib

5. Sailor Profesional Gear realo F or M nib

6. Montblan 146 F or M nib

Which one should I get first?

The FA and Justus nibs are very niche, make sure it's what you really want (can't complain about railroading for instance), I have a medium Sailor pro gear, very enjoyable pen, you can probably tell us about the better pens and how they feel compared to the cheap but very decent Kakunos for instance.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

The FA and Justus nibs are very niche, make sure it's what you really want (can't complain about railroading for instance), I have a medium Sailor pro gear, very enjoyable pen, you can probably tell us about the better pens and how they feel compared to the cheap but very decent Kakunos for instance.

Thank you very much for the suggestion. I will certainly find a time to compare pilot pens at different price ranges! I’m wondering about what’s the difference between pro gear nib and 823 nib? And if you have a “realo” piston filler version, how much ink does the pen hold?

Hm, it definitely feels like you have a type (mid-sized Japanese pens with finer nibs), so it depends if you want to branch out or go with something similar. I do think Japanese brands offer the best variety and value if you're set on getting a gold-nibbed pen.

A Montblanc can be nice, but I've only ever bought used MBs to avoid feeling like I'm paying the luxury tax. Plus, if you're taking it to school I'd be weary of loss or theft, but maybe I'm paranoid. Definitely try one at a store, too, as the nibs will be different than Japanese nibs in both tip shape and tip sizing.

One pen to check out that is making a lot of good waves is the Leonardo Officina Italiana "Momento Zero" model (or the "Furore" model if you like cigar shaped pens). I don't own one yet but it's near the top of my list, and they're priced very reasonably for the acrylic/steel nibbed versions (though piston/celluloid/gold nib versions are available). Check out some reviews here and you'll probably be sold on them ;)

When you make your final decision, be sure to post a review of your new pen explaining why!

Thank you for the detailed suggestion! I will certainly consider about Leonardo Officina Italiana pens. I love the design and details of the pen you linked for me. The only thing I still need to decide about is how their nibs work like. I will definitely look at more reviews. I will also revert my new pen after I get it!

I'm very much intrigued by the Sailor Profesional Gear realo

I would probably not go for the black/gold, too similar to so many other pens, but the maroon/gold is a classic but not boring finish I know I would love, and Sailor nibs are a certainty

(I have a professional gear in B and love it)

Thank you for the detailed suggestion! I will certainly consider about Leonardo Officina Italiana pens. I love the design and details of the pen you linked for me. The only thing I still need to decide about is how their nibs work like. I will definitely look at more reviews. I will also revert my new pen after I get it!

I have two of the Momento Zeros, and the nibs were great out of the box, and had been tested before they were mailed. If you go that route, ask the vendor if they would test the nib for you. The Leonardo nibs are interchangeable, which is another plus, and reasonably priced. Another Japanese pen worth considering is the Platinum 3776/ Century 3776.

I would go with the MB for the sake of variety, since you have two Japanese pens.

The MB will see you through in your professional life too, if looked after. smile.png

OTOH, if you are considering MB then also consider Pelikan.

MB 146 will equate to a Pelikan M600/800.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

All good options, I'm using my Pilot Justus 95 today, loving it!

PAKMAN

minibanner.gif                                    Vanness-world-final.png.c1b120b90855ce70a8fd70dd342ebc00.png

My Favorite Pen Restorer                                             My Favorite Pen Store

Vanness Pens - Selling Online!

I have two Sailor Realo pens one with a fine nib and one with broad. They are great writers but don’t hold any more ink than a converter. I bought a 1911 large and choose it over the Realo now. Pretty much the same pen, easier to take apart and clean writes like a dream.

About the difference between a Sailor pro gear and Pilot 823. The 823 nib is bigger, has more spring to it. Both of mine write smooth as butter where as the Sailor Nibs are stiffer and have a little feedback to them.

You really seem to have a preference for Asian pens. But I think everyone should have a MB146 and a 149 at some point in their life. It’s just a special feeling to own and write with them. I wouldn’t take either to school or leave it in my dorm. That little white star always attracts attention. Maybe not the right time to invest in one unless you plan on using it at home.

If you are looking to branch out, I--as others--would tend to avoid pens with similar nibs to the ones I already have. For instance, since you already have a Pilot Falcon, is another FA nib from Pilot really going to add much to your collection? I have a Pilot Custom 823 and it is fantastic! I don't know if the 74 would be different enough.

You may want to try some new brands. I love ALL of my Lamy pens, but another German manufacturer to try is Faber Castell. Their "Loom" very well may be one of the best steel nib pens in the business. I love both of mine: Medium and Broad. Besides, they are quite affordable.

You may enjoy a stub nib as well, which gives you some line variation and italic look while maintaining smoothness. My Visconti Rembrandt has a 1.5 mm Stub that I adore!

Early on it is better to cast a wide-net to get more experience with different brands/nib types before deciding on a "type." Besides, it makes the collection more differentiated, allowing for more choices depending on how you feel at a given moment or the type of writing you want to do.

If you MUST stick with a Japanese on the finer side, I do highly recommend the Pilot Vanishing Point and the VP Decimo. The click feature comes in handy, especially when taking notes in class, for instance. It allows you to not have to keep capping and uncapping. So that is a great choice as well.

Sailor Pro Gears look really pro. (meaning -fessional).

As for Realo or converter, personally I prefer converters for ease of cleaning.

There is also a 1911 currently available in a US-only colorway called "stormy sea". Subdued, but elegant color.

I will go with MB 146. The quality is really good and you can test the nib size (from tester pens) if you visit the MB boutique.

Greetings,

I vote Justus 95. nib goes from nail to about a semiflex, I actually find myself using the adjuster bar all the time. it's also got a really lovely guilloche pattern in the plastic that just feels nice in the hand, and it's large and well balanced. Takes a solid CON-70 converter, too, and is on the lower end of the nice pen prices.

While I really like my sailor realos in the hand, the M nib is kind of lame, and the F is good but a bit uninteresting. Piston isn't especially smooth either. I don't really think it's worth the ~$250. I'd pick a justus over it.

the FA nibs are really only good if you print or are willing to spend an extra bit of money (like $15 plus shipping) for an ebonite feed from flexible nib factory. Otherwise, the feeds are just too dry.

the 146 is a good choice too, but as a new pen, they're not a great value. They're a status piece, and I'd argue the justus has a better nib.

Selling a boatload of restored, fairly rare, vintage Japanese gold nib pens, click here to see (more added as I finish restoring them)

I vote Justus 95. nib goes from nail to about a semiflex, I actually find myself using the adjuster bar all the time. it's also got a really lovely guilloche pattern in the plastic that just feels nice in the hand, and it's large and well balanced.

+1

Another interesting contender.

Engineer :

Someone who does precision guesswork based on unreliable data provided by those of questionable knowledge.

I vote Justus 95. nib goes from nail to about a semiflex, I actually find myself using the adjuster bar all the time. it's also got a really lovely guilloche pattern in the plastic that just feels nice in the hand, and it's large and well balanced. Takes a solid CON-70 converter, too, and is on the lower end of the nice pen prices.

While I really like my sailor realos in the hand, the M nib is kind of lame, and the F is good but a bit uninteresting. Piston isn't especially smooth either. I don't really think it's worth the ~$250. I'd pick a justus over it.

the FA nibs are really only good if you print or are willing to spend an extra bit of money (like $15 plus shipping) for an ebonite feed from flexible nib factory. Otherwise, the feeds are just too dry.

the 146 is a good choice too, but as a new pen, they're not a great value. They're a status piece, and I'd argue the justus has a better nib.

Thanks for answering my questions in both of my topics regarding my next pen! I will do a comparative review after I get my hand on the Justus 95. I picked the Justus for its smooth and versitile F nib. I did not go for a Montblanc not because I dont like it, but primarily due to the fact that it does not pair well with my current status. Im only a college student who has not yet achieved anything too big. I will feel bad about myself for pulling out that little white stared pen in the library. I will reserve the MB as a present/reward for myself later in my life at a more appropriate time. Thank you! Edited by Zlh296830

Good for you! You are also correct to note that Montblanc is mainly a status symbol (and most of the price is due to that, not better quality than other fountain pens).

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Stipula Adagio "F" nib running Birmingham Violet Sea Snail

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp