The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Stipula Etruria Photo Thread

• Please log in to reply
196 replies to this topic

#181 sansenri

sansenri

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:54

Any one picked up the new Etruria Gallicana Sand or Oronero?

no, I have the Notte di San Lorenzo (earlier picture in this thread). Not the same thing obviously being a resin pen with a steel nib, but still looks good, the resin has a nice depth.

If you prefer the classic look with the ring on the cap the Miele Selvatico is nice, and is part of the resin series but is more similar to the classic Etruria.

Sponsored Content

#182 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 May 2020 - 15:36

Any one picked up the new Etruria Gallicana Sand or Oronero?

If you look at my post no 150, the Etruria de Architectural Gaudi Casa Mila has the same finish. It’s attractive.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

#183 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 01:05

After coveting Etrurias for a while, I finally caved in and bought my first: A Magnifica Wild Honey from Giardino Italiano. I find that this resin is as beautiful and striking as many of Stipula's celluloids. I ordered mine with a V-flex nib, which I hope is nice and bouncy. I will post pictures once it arrives.

You beat me to it, Mad_Pharmacist - my Miele Selvatico with gold trim arrived last week! I cant believe how gorgeous this material is, it looks as if theres a piece of honeycomb trapped in Amber with a spider having woven a golden web around it.

Its exceptional value - especially as I got mine from Giardino.it, who are giving an extra nib free, so I have both the V-flex and a stub to play with.

attachicon.gif C1DDC1D5-11AC-47A5-8ECD-91B03AB7311A.jpeg

bbs: Did you request the nib for free, or did they just include it? If it is the ladder, I may get a bonus nib along with the pen. 

Edited by WLSpec, 17 May 2020 - 01:09.

#184 RubenDh

RubenDh

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 07:59

That's great, WLSpec! Please do share pictures and a writing sample of the pen. I have no experience with the v-flex nib, yet.

What you are describing seems to be a general trend. Celluloid is rarely used anymore, and when it is, the pens cost a ridiculous amount of money. New high-quality (italian?) resins are anno 2020 of such a high quality that I think they resemble celluloid very closely. Examples are the Leonardo Momento zero Grande pens, which, although not in celluloid, are equality as stunning.

Edited by RubenDh, 17 May 2020 - 08:00.

#185 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:21

Very attractive material, this Miele Selvatico. May I ask if it's a c/c or a piston? Thank you!

#186 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 10:06

Very attractive material, this Miele Selvatico. May I ask if it's a c/c or a piston? Thank you!

I believe it only comes as C/C

#187 como

como

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 903 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 14:49

Thank you, WLSpec. That's good too.

I believe it only comes as C/C

#188 bbs

bbs

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,414 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 13:38

After coveting Etrurias for a while, I finally caved in and bought my first: A Magnifica Wild Honey from Giardino Italiano. I find that this resin is as beautiful and striking as many of Stipula's celluloids. I ordered mine with a V-flex nib, which I hope is nice and bouncy. I will post pictures once it arrives.

bbs: Did you request the nib for free, or did they just include it? If it is the ladder, I may get a bonus nib along with the pen.

Sorry for the late reply ... Susanna contacted me to ask which one I’d like - I wasn’t aware of the offer, I just wanted to grab that beautiful pen! But I can’t see the free nib deal advertised on the website now, so it may have been for a short while only. Just the pen with one nib is a good deal though, IMO.

I chose my user name years ago - I have no links to BBS pens (other than owning one!)

#189 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 20:42

Sorry for the late reply ... Susanna contacted me to ask which one I’d like - I wasn’t aware of the offer, I just wanted to grab that beautiful pen! But I can’t see the free nib deal advertised on the website now, so it may have been for a short while only. Just the pen with one nib is a good deal though, IMO.

Thank you.

#190 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2020 - 15:20

Here it is:

Attached Images

• IMG-0065.jpg
  • IMG-0073.jpg

Edited by WLSpec, 20 May 2020 - 15:21.

#191 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• 1,657 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2020 - 15:36

Here it is:

Congratulations! Mine arrived this morning as well, and the resin is rather stunning. I’m soaking the nib units (Fine and Stub 1.1), so I haven’t tried writing with it yet.

#192 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 May 2020 - 16:21

Congratulations! Mine arrived this morning as well, and the resin is rather stunning. I’m soaking the nib units (Fine and Stub 1.1), so I haven’t tried writing with it yet.

Congrats! Mine wrote absolutely horribly out of the box, so I tuned the nib a little bit, and now it writes well. A lot of railroading though - I'll have to fix that.

#193 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• 1,657 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:50

Congrats! Mine wrote absolutely horribly out of the box, so I tuned the nib a little bit, and now it writes well. A lot of railroading though - I'll have to fix that.

After soaking in soapy water overnight and flushing, the stub nib seems very dry with Monteverde Sapphire/ITF, which is the first ink I usually write with in any new pen so I can gauge it against other pens. When you say yours wrote horribly, was it smoothness or flow problem?

#194 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 May 2020 - 20:12

After soaking in soapy water overnight and flushing, the stub nib seems very dry with Monteverde Sapphire/ITF, which is the first ink I usually write with in any new pen so I can gauge it against other pens. When you say yours wrote horribly, was it smoothness or flow problem?

The flow is minimal, and it is not smooth. My tuning job is unfinished. I tested it with Waterman Serenity blue, and, even though a V-Flex nib, it railroads at just a bit of pressure and is very dry otherwise. 

The material though... I'll have to do some more work on the nib, because I want to be able to use it! 

#195 Herrjaeger

Herrjaeger

Carrau

• Member - Gold

• 1,657 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 00:36

The flow is minimal, and it is not smooth. My tuning job is unfinished. I tested it with Waterman Serenity blue, and, even though a V-Flex nib, it railroads at just a bit of pressure and is very dry otherwise. 

The material though... I'll have to do some more work on the nib, because I want to be able to use it!

Thanks -I'll PM you as this is a photo thread.

#196 WLSpec

WLSpec

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,181 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 23:13

Here's another picture of the material:

Attached Images

• IMG-0126 (1).jpg

#197 TexasCollector

TexasCollector

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 04 August 2020 - 17:32

A superb example of hand-engraved chinkin technique on celluloid, the Platinum #55 Karakusa Blue Celluloid also offers tremendous value - pens created using this technique and material would often be priced at two or three times as much as this memorable writing instrument. Available with your choice of 14k solid gold rhodium-plated Century nib in Fine, Medium, or Broad, this pen retails for $950, with our price $760

As always, feel free to contact us at info@nibs.com or (323) 655-2641 with any questions or to place an order. You can also use our online order form found at https://www.secure-q...-order-form.asp.

I just got a Stipula Etruria Gallencia Champaign in celluloid. Against a warm brown background appear large gold flakes and multiple and prominent veins of blue. Some distributors describe the color as brown as blue. Whats especially distinctive about the color, however you describe it, is its iridescent nature. As you turn it, the gold and blue come into and out of focus. It also has a kaleidoscopic dimension to it. It comes with Stipulas unique Sti-flex nib, that Id describe as a semi-flex. These celluloid, if you can find one, go for about a thousand USD. Recently, Goulet Pens began featuring an orange Stipula celluloid through a special arrangement with Stipula. These celluloids cast Stipula in a very different light from its overall appearance these days as marketing affordable resin pens.

Attached Images

• C8DF444B-B1EC-41DD-8CAB-7D16CF1EAD25.jpeg

Sponsored Content

|