How Many Bottles Of Ink In Your Collection?

DilettanteG

Many people have sold ink in lots.

That makes the prospect of selling a lot less intimidating. Listing, packing, and shipping can really be a time sink.

Ive been on a decluttering and down sizing kick for a while. Im realizing pens and ink dont take up all that much space. I also really enjoy just owning them. Im torn between getting down to just the stuff I actually use and spending that time and effort on finally writing that damned novel or on my horses. Time is one thing you can never get back.

Edited by DilettanteG

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DilettanteG

• A Smug Dill

• TSherbs

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have at least 2,000...maybe 3,000 bottles, 1,000+ cartridges, 25-30 bottles of dry powder ink like Eagle Ink, Gates, and tablets that each get mixed with water.

Here was an old thread on Eagle I posted:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/177472-eagle-blue-black-ink/?fromsearch=1

Sounds like I need to do some culling. I once read Greg Clark had 650 bottles, so my stockpile didnt look too excessive. Honestly, I have way too many inks I doubt Ill ever use again. Any advice on selling off part of a collection? Any body here done that?

Holy mackerel.

I have enough bottles that a shoebox is full, with three outside of the box. (Not including my inkjet ink 'fun' bottles) That's it. I don't know if I should _want_ some of your collection, or use it as an example of where NOT to go :)

Ruth - if you decide to compete.. you'll need a new storage shed.

Ruth - if you decide to compete.. you'll need a new storage shed.

Or be like Neil Gaiman and have your Archival House in addition to the one you actually live in. At first I thought hoarder, then I saw pictures of his basement library and switched to Life Goals!

Or be like Neil Gaiman and have your Archival House in addition to the one you actually live in. At first I thought hoarder, then I saw pictures of his basement library and switched to Life Goals!

I'm trying to envision what Neil Gaiman's Life Goals are -- other of course than to "Make Good Art".... :) (I'm currently re-reading Art Matters which is a lovely little book of essays he wrote, including "Make Good Art".)

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

Actually, if you can afford a second house, even a small one, it's a perfect "In case something major has to happen to the main house" backup. I've known of a couple of people that used a rent house that way. They moved into their rent house, then renovated the main house then back into the main house and rented the rent house back out again.

Actually, if you can afford a second house, even a small one, it's a perfect "In case something major has to happen to the main house" backup. I've known of a couple of people that used a rent house that way. They moved into their rent house, then renovated the main house then back into the main house and rented the rent house back out again.

My mother in law has a beach house here and a townhouse in the English city where she was born. All she ever seems to do is repairs or improvements to her two homes. Not what I want to be doing when Im 80.

On the other hand with all the wildfires here having a place to retreat might be prudent.

I'd be happy just to have a functional 'memory palace'. :)

I endeavour to be frank and truthful in what I write, show or otherwise present, when I relate my first-hand experiences that are not independently verifiable; and link to third-party content where I can, when I make a claim or refute a statement of fact in a thread. If there is something you can verify for yourself, I entreat you to do so, and judge for yourself what is right, correct, and valid. I may be wrong, and my position or say-so is no more authoritative and carries no more weight than anyone else's here.

104 bottles and counting. On my defense I need to say that like 50 of them are 30ml Diamine that I got from Cult Pens or The Writing Desk for like 3.5 USD each.

Javier

I have at least 2,000...maybe 3,000 bottles, 1,000+ cartridges, 25-30 bottles of dry powder ink like Eagle Ink, Gates, and tablets that each get mixed with water.

Here was an old thread on Eagle I posted:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/topic/177472-eagle-blue-black-ink/?fromsearch=1

Sounds like I need to do some culling. I once read Greg Clark had 650 bottles, so my stockpile didnt look too excessive. Honestly, I have way too many inks I doubt Ill ever use again. Any advice on selling off part of a collection? Any body here done that?

When my collection grows up, it wants to be like Sam's collection. :)

I'm pretty proud of hunting down the 10+ powdered inks. I have less than 100 cartridges.

Sam, if you want to cull the pile, we do an ink exchange, we have few volunteers who create samples from the various bottles and then we share.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY

Even though I have several purples I don't tend to use them much so I haven't tried the Dark Lilac. I do very much love the color of Quasar Blue it reminds me of Parker Penman Sapphire blue.

Where is the best place to see/buy that quasar blue?

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

Where is the best place to see/buy that quasar blue?

VANNESS Pens has the Colorverse Quasar & it has a nice swab on their site; On sale @ the moment, $30 for the 2 bottles instead of the regular $36.00 list price. (Free shipping over $40.00)

Usual disclaimers: I am NOT related to, employed by, or Vanness Pens, just a happy customer!

Oh wow, the variety. I will be able to contribute on this thread in a few years time, but for now Im awaiting my first batch of samples, I havent even splurged on one single full bottle 😱

Hmm...let's see how many I remember. Most of them I haven't used in years...

In Use:
Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing
Sailor Jentle Sakura Mori

Not In Use:
J. Herbin Violette Pensée
Noodler's Polar Blue
Noodler's Black
Noodler's Year of the Golden Pig
Noodler's Bad Blue Heron
Mont Blanc Sepia
Mont Blanc Burgundy (?)

Planning To Buy:
Sailor Jentle Waka-uguisu
Kobe Ink Monogatari Ikutagawa Sakura
Pilot Iroshizuku Benzaiten

I'm pretty sure that's it.

Paige Paigen

Gemma Seymour, Founder & Designer, Paige Paigen

Daily use pens & ink: TWSBI ECO-T EF, TWSBI ECO 1.1 mm stub italic, Mrs. Stewart's Concentrated Liquid Bluing

When my collection grows up, it wants to be like Sam's collection. :)

I'm pretty proud of hunting down the 10+ powdered inks. I have less than 100 cartridges.

Sam, if you want to cull the pile, we do an ink exchange, we have few volunteers who create samples from the various bottles and then we share.

The more likely scenario as I get older is to just start giving away my treasure trove, or selling at discounts. I have so many unopened bottles. I can't take it with me!

With the new FPN rules, now I REALLY don't know what to put in my signature.

The more likely scenario as I get older is to just start giving away my treasure trove, or selling at discounts. I have so many unopened bottles. I can't take it with me!

You can have them all poured into the coffin, to float your body to ink paradise.

LOL my son has threatened to have my ashes made into ink - gives a whole different meaning to writing mom.

Fountain pens are my preferred COLOR DELIVERY SYSTEM (in part because crayons melt in Las Vegas).

Create a Ghostly Avatar and I'll send you a letter. Check out some Ink comparisons: The Great PPS Comparison 

Don't know where to start?  Look at the Inky Topics O'day.  Then, see inks sorted by color: Blue Purple Brown Red Green Dark Green Orange Black Pinks Yellows Blue-Blacks Grey/Gray UVInks Turquoise/Teal MURKY