Swan Sf1 And Jackdaw Pens

I recently purchased a lucky dip bag of old pens, which included a Swan SF1 and a Jackdaw. The Jackdaw is in OK condition (though the nib is a bit wild) and is red and black. The SF 1 unfortunately has a mismatched cap, which is the luck of the draw I suppose. The nib writes nicely when dipped. I'm resaccing both pens with a view to restoring them.

I would really appreciate it if you could give me some more information about these particular pens, such as the dates. I know the Jackdaw was a 1930s school pen.

I would especially value advice about the missing cap for the Swan. I don't imagine it will be easy to get one, but my husband (who's got his own workshop) has offered to turn me one to fit if I can get the measurements. Is there any way someone else who has this pen could give me some details?

post-146378-0-45139200-1554203989_thumb.jpg

post-146378-0-51921800-1554204028_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dragonq

• Greenie

• PaulS

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi - the little I know might be of interest...……………… the Jackdaw may well follow the similar B.B. spec. - colourway is described as burgundy and black marble (though sometimes as rose/black marble), and date wise probably c. 1938. With the non-g.f. metalwork on the Jackdaw you may well be correct and it might have been a school pen. Rub with some polishing compound - if you can smell table tennis balls then it's celluloid.

With the B.B. the model No. is 5244 - the last two digits refer to the colourway, and presumably the second refers to the nib size. What the difference between the B.B. and Jackdaw versions is I've no idea - it may simply have been a price issue, with the latter being a cheaper version because of the lack of gilding on the lever and cap clip. There looks to be some darkening of the barrel colour - old rubber sacs are responsible, but nibs can certainly be re-shaped though you will need to knock out the feed and nib from the section, and as usual hair dryer only - no water - you will need a proper 'nib-knocking-block' and a drift of the correct diameter. It may take persistence to free the section - be patient - hopefully the bar is still o.k. - try no to dislodge it when removing the old sac. Presumably you already have rubber-jawed section pliers?

The BCHR S.F. 1 is not a rare pen in Europe - but making a replacement cap is not for the faint-hearted. There are issues such as the engine turning/chasing that you will have to forego, and making the internal threads for the cap will not be easy. You will of course need to source some Vulcanite rod to start with - it is available.

Alternatively, try to source a replacement cap from ebay or similar - a lot easier - or keep the pen for spares and bin the wrong cap.

I'd suggest this is an English made pen and date wise probably second half 1920s - the black still looks nice and shiny.

Thought I did have an S.F. 1, but now can't find it, so regret unable to provide dimensions for the correct cap.

Best of luck if you restore these, the Jackdaw will look good when polished with one of the liquid polishes - nice pen - Jackdaws are not that common - there's probably fifty B.Bs. to every Jackdaw, and as for Starlings - well ………………

Edited to add …………. pix showing couple more S.F. 1 pens - believe they both are. One has the model designation on both the section and lower end of the barrel - on the other I can see this only faintly on the section.

Like you, I'm minus caps for both, so if anyone has suitable caps, I would be interested to hear ……….:-)

post-125342-0-76845000-1556293988_thumb.jpg

post-125342-0-82860000-1556294002_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulS

Thank you for the information. My husband is the one who’s making the new cap, and I think he quite likes the idea of the challenge. We’ve already ascertained the correct thread, and ordered a rod of ebonite. What he's planning to do is make a brass band with threads to suit the pen, and then turn a cap which can be inset to the brass band. Obviously it won’t be exactly the same, but it will work. If I can get someone to give me the measurements he can make it the same size...come on! There has to be some out there who has one they can measure for me!

I’ve put new sacs into both pens. They’ve also been cleaned and polished. The Jackdaw in particular looks really beautiful, and a friend is tuning the nib. Both are writing well, so everything has been successful so far.

Hi - the little I know might be of interest...……………… the Jackdaw may well follow the similar B.B. spec. - colourway is described as burgundy and black marble (though sometimes as rose/black marble), and date wise probably c. 1938. With the non-g.f. metalwork on the Jackdaw you may well be correct and it might have been a school pen. Rub with some polishing compound - if you can smell table tennis balls then it's celluloid.

With the B.B. the model No. is 5244 - the last two digits refer to the colourway, and presumably the second refers to the nib size. What the difference between the B.B. and Jackdaw versions is I've no idea - it may simply have been a price issue, with the latter being a cheaper version because of the lack of gilding on the lever and cap clip. There looks to be some darkening of the barrel colour - old rubber sacs are responsible, but nibs can certainly be re-shaped though you will need to knock out the feed and nib from the section, and as usual hair dryer only - no water - you will need a proper 'nib-knocking-block' and a drift of the correct diameter. It may take persistence to free the section - be patient - hopefully the bar is still o.k. - try no to dislodge it when removing the old sac. Presumably you already have rubber-jawed section pliers?

The BCHR S.F. 1 is not a rare pen in Europe - but making a replacement cap is not for the faint-hearted. There are issues such as the engine turning/chasing that you will have to forego, and making the internal threads for the cap will not be easy. You will of course need to source some Vulcanite rod to start with - it is available.

Alternatively, try to source a replacement cap from ebay or similar - a lot easier - or keep the pen for spares and bin the wrong cap.

I'd suggest this is an English made pen and date wise probably second half 1920s - the black still looks nice and shiny.

Thought I did have an S.F. 1, but now can't find it, so regret unable to provide dimensions for the correct cap.

Best of luck if you restore these, the Jackdaw will look good when polished with one of the liquid polishes - nice pen - Jackdaws are not that common - there's probably fifty B.Bs. to every Jackdaw, and as for Starlings - well ………………

Edited to add …………. pix showing couple more S.F. 1 pens - believe they both are. One has the model designation on both the section and lower end of the barrel - on the other I can see this only faintly on the section.

Like you, I'm minus caps for both, so if anyone has suitable caps, I would be interested to hear ……….:-)

I don't have an SF1 to measure.

But here are links to two pens on line to show you the shape and overall proportions.

A domed cap top would be typical, although some on line show flat tops, which would be later construction. The top of the cap is usually a separate piece, but this is not a necessary step if you are making your own. There are also pics on line showing pens with unbranded washer style clips placed under the top part of the cap. These are not original to the pens.

https://www.peytonstreetpens.com/mabie-todd-uk-swan-self-filler-bcbr-s-f-1-14k-fine-excellent-restored.html

https://www.vintagefountainpens.co.uk/ourshop/prod_6390689-8496-Superb-Early-Swan-Mabie-Todd-SF1-Fountain-Pen-in-Woodgrain-Superb-Fine-Flex-FIVE-STAR-Nib.html