The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Fountain Pen Phileas Kultur Leaking With Converter

leak converter waterman phileas kultur

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Moondancer

Moondancer

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2019 - 20:11

Hi, I purchased a Waterman Fountain Pen Phileas Kultur Iridescent Blue Fountain Pen last September on eBay, and bought a waterman converter on Amazon. It has always been a bit of a tough starter to get the ink flowing, but recently, when I thought it just was being stubborn, I opened up the barrel to find it full of ink and the converter empty. I cleaned it out and reseated the converter, and it happened again. I do carry the pen around in a case with my sailor pen in my backpack, but the sailor is fine, and the waterman will not hold its ink, suddenly. (It doesn't get as much use as the Sailor does.)

I'm wondering if it's the pen or the converter. Can I tell if it's a real Waterman? I suppose if it seems to be I should just try another converter? Is Amazon generally trustworthy on that sort of thing or are there inferior products out there too? I only used both sources as my usual pen shops didn't have the pen at the time, and lower Manhattan & NJ were in the midst of an apparent converter drought....

Anyone have similar experience with this particular pen?

Thanks!

Sponsored Content

#2 Pentode

Pentode

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2019 - 20:49

I dont have that particular pen but converters do wear out. They shouldnt wear out so quickly but its possible you just got a dud.

I would definitely suspect the converter before I blamed the pen.

#3 pajaro

pajaro

Amblin along like I had good sense.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,491 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 01 April 2019 - 21:43

You might try using a toothpick to pick up a tiny bit of silicone lubricant and put it through the ink hole in the converter and spread it around inside.  Work the converter a few times and see if it will hold water or ink as you prefer. 

"Don't hurry, don't worry. It's better to be late at the Golden Gate than to arrive in Hell on time."
--Sign in a bar and grill, Ormond Beach, Florida, 1960.

They took the blue from the skies and the pretty girls' eyes and a touch of Old Glory too . . .

#4 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:38

I suspect you have the latest style converter with hard plastic mouth. Have a close look at the lip to check for a split.

#5 Moondancer

Moondancer

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Silver

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 08 April 2019 - 22:08

I suspect you have the latest style converter with hard plastic mouth. Have a close look at the lip to check for a split.

Hmmm. There is a split on both sides of the opening. Also noticed in cleaning it out there's a bubbling action going on and water/ink behind the vacuum section too. I'll try another converter....

Thanks everyone,

#6 Force

Force

Fergus 1998-2015

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,271 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 April 2019 - 13:32

Try to buy an earlier converter with silver ring and rubber mouth

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: leak, converter, waterman, phileas, kultur

Sponsored Content

|